• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Rectums

GlorifiedRice

Okay so I got permission for this, cause I was hesitant to post it.

Evidently an American company EXPORTS Pork Rectums to Taiwan for dumplings

http://www.neatorama.com/2014/06/22/For-Sale-Boneless-Pork-Rectums-Inverted/

I will never buy any dumplings again...

However researching this further, it seems that they MAY use these pork rectums for imitation calimari

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/16/imitation-calamari-sliced-pig-rectum_n_2482063.html

:::sigh:::

Cue the puns

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Hey, I have a friend who did a short stint on a hog kill line.  Her job was removing rectums as the hogs zipped by her.  She had a special tool that needed only to be inserted.  It spun around and did the deed.  Retract tool and send  hog to the next station..  She always said there wasn't an ahole she couldn't take care of.    Never heard about the dumplings, just assumed Fido got them.

• Like 1

The article linked to shows a picture of these pig "rectums".  They look like one form of 豬大腸 and in particular to this one.  Commonly eaten cooked in various ways in E/SE Asian cuisine.  I wonder...perhaps these folks also use the term "rectum" to refer generically to the pig colon?  Or not.  Certainly if one has eaten "natural casing" sausages one has eaten intestines, and folks have done so for centuries.  Ditto salami.  A thread on another forum.

One might also avoid hot dogs if one is squeamish about these things (let alone what else goes into the stuffing).

My buddy and I ate something called Bungus at a Korean Restaurant. It was super gritty so, obviously it was gross. Was not cleaned well. But really, what's the difference. I don't understand why one part of an animal is considered acceptable to eat. It's all marketing. For me, the least desirable animal part to eat is perhaps a chicken breast. Or maybe, cooked filet mignon

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

I did have the opportunity to visit a hot dog plant in S'toon, Sask. (Canada) waaay back when, as a boy scout.  The mental image of two uh..."gentlemen" in white rubber hip-waders shoveling various animal parts with s/s shovels down a hatch that was part of meat grinder built in the floor.

O.T.O.H. there have been rumours of dumplings made and sold in China with cardboard used as a "meat" filling.

I've been struggling all day to remember the name of a dish I was once served in China. It was basically braised dogs' bowels. It was called something like "Braised Seven Inches". The seven inches being the lower seven inches (or was it nine?) of the animal's digestive tract. I don't think the measurement was necessarily intended to be taken literally. 

Anyway, the bowels were fine, if a bit chewy.

I've certainly eaten worse. Cows' vaginal lips weren't so great. 

By the way, It seems bowels are also eaten in Italy, and not just as sausage casings. To quote Wikipedia:

In Norcia and other parts of Umbria, pig's bowels are also cured with herbs, chili peppers, and spices, then dried and smoked to make a tough, spicy sausage in which the bowel, instead of serving only as the usual casing, is the main ingredient. 

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

This topic reminds me of my favorite cartoon.  A small child, almost a baby is sitting a high chair eating.  The caption reads, "I say it's spinach and I say 'to hell with it!'"

• Like 1

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

pork bungs are used for some of the more presigious salami in italy. They have a tremendous amount of fat allowing for much longer drying times without overdrying the meat. 

I've used them in my home productions. They smell like ass :)

Also i've eaten them fried at a vietnamese restaurant. It's the only food i can ever remember "uneating". I have no issue with it, the taste just wasn't for me.

pork bungs are used for some of the more presigious salami in italy. They have a tremendous amount of fat allowing for much longer drying times without overdrying the meat. 

It is used for Rosette de Lyon.  It give the dry cured sausage a characteristic tapered shape. 

However, after consulting with a few animal scientists from the National Pork Board, they confirmed that all porcine undesirables that don't go to animal food or whatever get shipped to the far east.