• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High Street misadventure

Mottmott

I took my gd there last night anticipating a satisfying casual mid week meal. We began with the mushroom appetizer which was tasty. But I was disappointed with the pasta dishes. We were eating dead food: The pasta itself had a gummy texture, the fillings weren't very flavorful, the sauce undistinguished. To tell the truth, nothing tasted like what it was made of and blindfolded, I couldn't have identified the ingredients. There was no contrasts in taste, texture,  Even a sprinkling of fresh herbs might  have helped.

When I go out, I want food that's at least as good as what I can make at home. Having been to Fork a few times, I expected that's what I would get.  Most surprising  of all, I was told the Ex Chef was in the kitchen! Maybe they've been having problems he's trying to turn round?

On the up side, the staff couldn't have been better both during the meal and when I expressed my disappointment. The tried to comp us a dessert but my gd had her heart set on yogurt at her favorite a few doors down, so we declined.  And, surprisingly, they did not charge us for either of the pasta dishes. Perhaps because most of it was still on our plates.

This would have been a perfect  spot for the impromptu meal out when I'm in that neighborhood and don't feel like cooking when I get home. It's a comfortable environment for a solo meal. Because they handled it so graciously, I will try there again, though I doubt I'll order pasta unless you convince me here that my experience was an aberration.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

This must be a confusing topic for a speaker of British English... where "High Street" means any town's shopping district.  I'd wager that this posting is about the particular restaurant called High Street in Philadelphia, and not about a random eatery in a shopping district somewhere in Pennsylvania.  I have no clue what a gd is, however.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Sorry about the gd confusion. :wacko:  Only my family knows that my great dane is a great yogurt dessert freak.

Yes High Street restaurant/bistro on Market St in Philadelphia, Pa. USA

Having cleared this up, I hope someone has some feedback on the food. Was this an abberation?

• Like 1

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Yes High Street restaurant/bistro on Market St in Philadelphia, Pa. USA

You mean this place? It seems to be called "High Street on Market".

This must be a confusing topic for a speaker of British English

I realised it was the name of a restaurant. (I may be British, but we aren't that slow.) There was no indication of where (other than Pennsylvania) , in the OP, so I asked..

Still don't know what a gd is.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Agreed that the reasonable conclusion is that High Street is the name of a restaurant... but without further context, e.g. knowing Mottmott lives in Philadelphia, that is a bit of a leap given the shorthand and obfuscated style that message boards full of repeat players who know each other encourages.  I'm not calling you or the British in general slow, but I am saying that absent extra-post context, what that post says is either unintelligible (for folks who don't have the UK association with the phrase High Street) or vague to the point of meaningless (for those who do)...  Those of us who know the context understood the question... I guess the unstated premise here is that nobody who doesn't have that extra information would be in a position to answer the question. 

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 2 months later...