• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Precision Cooked Egg Yolks

rotuts

Id like to start a thread on uses for previously SV’d egg yolks.

Hats of to the Anova group for the term Precision Cooking.  I like it, but it has so many more letters than SV

Sooo  Ill use PCook for SV.  I can afford 3 more letters, after all. But this is not about terms, what ever merits they might have.  Its about the PCook’d yolk.  Easy to do in Bulk, No plastic, just the natural shell.  chill, dry, put back in the refig. and use ‘ at will. ‘

Polyscience’s chart is nice :

https://www.cuisinetechnology.com/_pdf/SousVide%20Temperature%20Reference%20Guide.pdf

In the Mayo + thread I got the idea to add a yolk or two to Hellman’s and see what’s up

Here it is:  

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/148803-mayo/

First , I brought out some frozen ‘SV’ butter :

SV butter 5.jpg

Yes, its plain butter I routinely get when on sale, and 6 sticks fit nicely in the 8 x 10 SV

Bag.  Its of course not heated ! The bag prevents freezer burn, and Freezer Flavor from migrating into the butter.  As I need a stick, I cut open the bag, take out a frozen stick, and quickly reseal the bag so little moisture condenses on the next seal.  N.B.:  the bag has already given up one stick

SV Butter 4.jpg

Resealed, back in the freezer for the 4 sticks.

PCook Egg Butter.jpg

Here is a PCook’s egg, cracked open directly from the refrigerator. ( not really water bath PC, these were left over from some experiments w the CuisiSteamBoy .)   There is a thread on that if your’e interested. This is exactly what a water-bath egg looks like cracked open.  Note there is some white albumen in the shells, and the yolk is coated in cooked whites with quite a bit of loose white ‘ on the side’

PCook egg yolk.jpg

Note the white easily ‘peels’ off the yolk.  The yolk w most of the white removed was placed in a bowl:

Pcook egg yolk bowl.jpgPcook egg yolk bowl.jpg

The Knob of butter, which you see above was microwaved until soft, with a bit melted.  This was whisked into the plain yolk:

PC yolk butter.jpg

Its a bit hard to see, but this mixture is fairly stiff, and holds its shape.  Its still a bit cool.  I did not heat up.  Added a bit of salt and tasted it.  Delicious.  Added a drop of two of lemon juice, even better.

If you can Precision Cook the whole egg, to what ever temp on the chart correspond to  yolk that pleases you, you can chill and keep these eggs in the refrigerator for ‘Long Time’  they are after all pasteurized. You might even develop a liking for several different yolk textures.  They are a tight fit as you can see on the chart.

With a seasoning / herb / flavor profile of your choice, made well in advance, you have a decent “ ---aise “ of the butter school any time you want one.  Work time  : about a minute. Also available for 1 minute orders  the Mayo + “ ---- aise “

Fantastic , correct,  if you are of the ‘ ---aise ‘ school of sauce.

You will have to run around the block many many many more times, let me warn you in advance, if you choose to use yolks this way.  

So  if you PCook eggs, what might you do w the yolks ?  For Whites , see the SV Eggs thread.

Bon Apetite.

its very interesting you mention this.

i make carbonara all the time.  I just use beaten eggs.

the Test Kitchen on TV recently did this and tempered the beaten eggs w pasta water, and they used very little water for the  pasta 

cooking so the water had a fair bit more 'starch'  they claimed that starch and tempering the eggs prevented the beaten eggs from

getting gummy on the final pasta dish.

I guess Ive been lucky, my carbonara was never gummy.  maybe a bit of pasta water just before serving to loosen it up

but thanks for the insight

Its In The Book, for future refs.

rotuts,

I have no trouble understanding precision cooked eggs. But I tend to get really hung up on how long these eggs can be safely stored. You say "long time", USDA SAYS ONE WEEK. Now I am not suggesting that the USDA knows better than you, but I would like to see you define more precisely "long time". My understanding of their limited shelf life once cooked has to do with nature's coating on the outside of an egg which is partially removed by the processor and fully destroyed by cooking. I will admit to being overly cautious about the shelf life of foods. Still.....

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

your points are good ones.   I dont really know. I didnt mean to be flip about it.

as regular store eggs, which these are, keep in a cold refrig for  ----, even with the natural coating removed for cleaning.

Im not being fussy here  I just dont know

these eggs, are pasteurized, so might keep for a bit more time.  

so your points a good ones. and i just cant say.

so   eat em up or plan ahead   I think in a cold refrigerator, for a few weeks ?

again, i just dont know.

I guess the question is  How long does a pasteurized egg keep in a cold refrigerator ?

Anybody ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

thanks A.N. for getting me thinking

i found this :

http://www.safeeggs.com/eggs/more-faqs

look down near the bottom :

6- 8 weeks plus

if there is a problem here, the eggs I do go back into the original egg container

how clean is that ?

maybe better in a clean plastic bag

just a guess.

I personally would not keep them that long.

its just they are easy to do.

Edited by rotuts (log)

rotuts,

I have no trouble understanding precision cooked eggs. But I tend to get really hung up on how long these eggs can be safely stored. You say "long time", USDA SAYS ONE WEEK. Now I am not suggesting that the USDA knows better than you, but I would like to see you define more precisely "long time". My understanding of their limited shelf life once cooked has to do with nature's coating on the outside of an egg which is partially removed by the processor and fully destroyed by cooking. I will admit to being overly cautious about the shelf life of foods. Still.....

From the J.D. Schuman et. al. (1997) egg pasteurization research paper:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2672.1997.00253.x/pdf

"Defining the appropriate refrigerated shelf-life for in-shell pasteurized eggs is a final important product development issue. Research in our laboratories has demonstrated that the interior quality (albumen pH, Haugh units, albumen foaming power) of immersion-heated eggs (with or without oiling) did not deteriorate further during 4 weeks of storage at 7 deg or 22 deg C (unpublished data)."

Where does the USDA say pasteurized eggs may be kept one week?  Somewhere I recall reading that cooked egg dishes should be kept for only one week, but I don't think this is the same consideration.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

From the J.D. Schuman et. al. (1997) egg pasteurization research paper:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2672.1997.00253.x/pdf

"Defining the appropriate refrigerated shelf-life for in-shell pasteurized eggs is a final important product development issue. Research in our laboratories has demonstrated that the interior quality (albumen pH, Haugh units, albumen foaming power) of immersion-heated eggs (with or without oiling) did not deteriorate further during 4 weeks of storage at 7 deg or 22 deg C (unpublished data)."

Where does the USDA say pasteurized eggs may be kept one week?  Somewhere I recall reading that cooked egg dishes should be kept for only one week, but I don't think this is the same consideration.

I don't believe I suggested that one week was referring to pasteurized eggs. Sorry if you inferred otherwise. I see that rotuts did claim his eggs were pasteurized and they likely are.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The point about the coatings on the eggs being destroyed by cooking is new to me. Is there still any coating left on the eggs after they're washed (as is the practice in the U.S.?)

It's been my assumption that pasteurized eggs would last a few months in the fridge—not at the peak of quality or freshness, but that they'd be safe. I haven't seen any studies to back this up.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

I just recently had very pretty looking caesar salad at Trio Grill in Falls Church, VA. Should have taken a picture!

It had egg yolk on top that was clearly cooked sous vide, raw looking but not very runny.  Also, there was no sign of egg white suggesting that eggs were separated before cooking.  There is chefsteps recipe for yolks cooked in oil.  http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/perfect-yolks

I can see serving yolks on salads, pastas, steak tartar, etc.

• Like 1