• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking goals for 2003

jaybee

I've enjoyed reading The Splendid Table for several years but never made anything from it. There are several menus that appeal. One of my goals is to make at least one meal for a party of six to eight based on one of these menus.

A second goal is to make a very good rendition of Robuchon's mashed potatoes. Any tips there?

In 2003 I would like to make risotto often enough that it becomes second nature.

I would also like to learn to make a really good meatloaf(something my mother never made).

Kitchen Kutie

"I've had jutht about enough outta you!"--Daffy Duck

1. I would also like to make risotto as if it were second nature. :smile:

2. I would like to try to make more Japanese food because I have been focusing a lot on French cuisine this year.

3. I would like to experiment with foie gras.

4. When I go out to eat, try to expand my eating experiences which affect my cooking experiences.

5. Buy *one* copper piece of cookware (we'll see).

Cyn-bluefrog, welcome to eGullet.

I'm going to try making tripe, the only offal I find awful.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Although not a 2003 goal when I quit my job a year and a half ago to be a stay-at-home, I made several resolutions. One was to cook a new recipe once a week. Except for when we are at the cabin in the summer (30 miles from mediocre grocery in small town near Canadian border), I have met this goal. To date, I can recall only a couple of things that we all (kids, husband and me) decided just not to eat (time for scrambled eggs and toast). There have been some "it was OK, but will not repeat" but I have added a tremendous number of things to our favorites list.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

In 2003 I would like to make risotto often enough that it becomes second nature.

shermar,

did you check out the risotto lesson on fat-guy.com?

Yes, I have checked it out. I also have many wonderful recipes that are easy to do. I just don't do it often enough to be relaxed about it. :huh:

Kitchen Kutie

"I've had jutht about enough outta you!"--Daffy Duck

Here's a few tips on those mashed potatoes

ingredients

400g fingerling potatoes

butter to your liking

100ml cream or milk depending on your taste

salt

special equipment

large pot for boiling potatoes

fine sieve for pureeing - like a sieve for flour but flat and very fine

Method

1) place the potatoes in a large pot with plenty of water and good salt to taste, make sure the fingerlings are fresh and of the same size for even cooking.

2) once they are cooked pour off the water and start peeling them, don't cool them off, place them on top of the sieve and work as fast as possible so you don't let them cool down. Once you have a few done push them through the sieve pushing directly down - not in any side ways motion. You don't want to over work the fingerlings, going sideways on a very starchy potato almost if not creates more starch.

3) bring the cream or milk to a simmer and add the potato, mix gently and add half the desired amount of butter, just don't add more than the weight of the beginning weight of the potato.

4) now pass again through the fine sieve, if your using immediatly finish with the remaining butter or just place in a bowl somewhere warm and work in the butter when your ready. They need to be soft for the best results.

5) Add chopped winter truffles at the very end for a special treat.

make sense ??

PS

It's a bit of a nightmare but the faster you work the quicker you get to eat them !

Hint

Wear plastic surgeon gloves when peeling the little bastards !