• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SobaAddict70's San Francisco Saga

SobaAddict70

14342295707_734bfc1987_z.jpg

Unfortunately, my camera's battery died about 30 minutes after this shot so I wasn't able to get all the pix I wanted to. We'll be visiting again on Tuesday to pick up stuff for a dinner party on July 4, the night before I fly back to reality.

Some pix from the market today:

14342130999_339f97dcb6_z.jpg

14342295687_26793b8bed_z.jpg

14342165438_ac0f616aa4_z.jpg

14342133519_c59885e2f2_z.jpg

14527723162_28e55e1b7e_z.jpg

14342101110_06a5ba64f2_z.jpg

14342131739_b7077e65f9_z.jpg

14342162678_42b051c504_z.jpg

• Like 4

I love the cioppino at Tadich Grill. 

It sounds like your friend is local so you may not need restaurant reservations, none the less, I strongly recommend State Bird. 

• Like 1

I love the cioppino at Tadich Grill. 

It sounds like your friend is local so you may not need restaurant reservations, none the less, I strongly recommend State Bird.

B lives 6 blocks from the Castro, actually.

14508462996_9c5c03779f_z.jpg

Apricot and date salad, with pancetta and scallion

It's all worth comment, compliments, questions and a bit of envy!  At present, however, I'll just ask what dressing (if any) came with/on the apricot and date salad?  I have a ton of dates to be used, and I keep looking for good uses for the things that get shipped to our grocery stores and try to pass for apricots.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It's all worth comment, compliments, questions and a bit of envy!  At present, however, I'll just ask what dressing (if any) came with/on the apricot and date salad?  I have a ton of dates to be used, and I keep looking for good uses for the things that get shipped to our grocery stores and try to pass for apricots.

1/2 large shallot, minced; one very small pinch of sea salt; juice of 1/2 a lemon. mix everything together in a small bowl and let shallots macerate for 5 minutes. then whisk in 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley. taste for salt and pepper.

the salad: fry pancetta until crisp, add minced scallion, lift out with a slotted spoon into a bowl and set aside. add cut up apricots and fry for 1-2 minutes until glazed in the pancetta drippings. pit dates. spoon apricots into shallow salad bowls, top with dates and pancetta. drizzle dressing atop, then sprinkle with minced scallion and serve at once.

• Like 1

So, the tomatoes really do have the "tomato" flavor they should have?  I'm jealous.  Our spring was so cold and long.  My garden is so delayed.  We usually get to pick at least one tomato around the 4th of July.  Not this year :(

those tomatoes were like the Form of Tomatoes (if you're familiar with Plato's Republic)

they were simply perfect and needed very little cooking to bring out their best.

we'll be back at the Ferry Building on Tuesday, so expect more pix of the market.

• Like 2

I do miss the variety and quality of produce that's available in California, especially at this time of year, and most especially given the cold wet spring/summer we're having in Minnesota. Shelby, I feel your pain!

Thanks for the information about the date/apricot salad. The apricots in your market photo didn't look as wonderful as the peaches or berries. Did you have to choose carefully to get good ones?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

B lives 6 blocks from the Castro, actually.

I visit SF every March and stay at a friend's condo, just a couple blocks off of Embarcadero. It's a great location, I can walk to the Ferry Building. I have not explored the Castro or Mission area very much because I am by myself and am not sure that it is safe. I have gone to a couple restaurants in those areas for dinner and always arrive very early so I can circle for as long as necessary to get a good parking spot. 

I visit SF every March and stay at a friend's condo, just a couple blocks off of Embarcadero. It's a great location, I can walk to the Ferry Building. I have not explored the Castro or Mission area very much because I am by myself and am not sure that it is safe. I have gone to a couple restaurants in those areas for dinner and always arrive very early so I can circle for as long as necessary to get a good parking spot.

it's pretty safe, but anything can happen anywhere at any time.

no pix tonight; we had:

gem lettuce salad with crispy pancetta and Japanese turnips to start (pancetta fried until crisp, then blanched Japanese turnips, seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and lemon zest; then plated with baby salad green and gem lettuce, and dressed with a simple olive oil/lemon juice vinaigrette)

penne with zucchini, turnip greens, broccoli and cauliflower. blanch the broccoli, cauliflower and greens, then fry garlic in olive oil over medium heat, add the zucchini. when the zucchini begins to brown, add the other vegetables. taste for salt and pepper. meanwhile, bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil, then add your penne. cook until slightly al dente. drain, reserving pasta water. transfer cooked penne to the pan with the vegetables. you're going to finish cooking the pasta as you would a risotto. add a ladleful of pasta water to the pan. cook the pasta until it's al dente. how much additional liquid you add depends on if you want the pasta brothy. taste once more for salt and pepper, then serve immediately. I like to drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil and pass either (1) fried breadcrumbs, (2) grated cheese or (3) pesto at the table.

I am loving this Soba!  I have never been to SF and it is on my list.  Everyone I’ve ever known who visited want to move there and many have.  They really have apricots that taste like something?  That would be amazing.  I haven’t had a good apricot in at least 30 years.

I am loving this Soba!  I have never been to SF and it is on my list.  Everyone I’ve ever known who visited want to move there and many have.  They really have apricots that taste like something?  That would be amazing.  I haven’t had a good apricot in at least 30 years.

yes the apricots really are something; ditto for most of the produce

it is exceedingly difficult to go back to reality afterwards.

14548496905_c42d9c69d5_z.jpg

Hiyayakko tofu -- tofu, scallion, bonito, grated daikon radish

14525410206_109ba13694_z.jpg

Tempura, gohan (rice), miso-shiru (miso soup), oshinko (pickles)

14546951514_e8f50ec30d_z.jpg

Oyako-don (chicken and egg over rice), miso-shiru, oshinko

Anyone want to guess how much all of that cost? How about $30 (not including tip). Cheap Japanese food in SF is a real bargain compared to in NYC.

• Like 4

14553910825_170c6ca334_z.jpg

"gold-nugget" mandarin oranges

14367236550_d4897a54e5_z.jpg

haas avocadoes

14367450377_6682f7cf13_z.jpg

donut white peaches -- these were soft and honey sweet. i am telling you that y'all don't know how good the produce is here. i'm envious.

14552327814_fdbcb713cd_z.jpg

14367311078_13c629e9f7_z.jpg

14553023212_30aa8ba61d_z.jpg

fava greens

14553022182_13a6c54370_z.jpg

• Like 3

lunch today:

14367450887_0c55b7ebe8_z.jpg

lamb and fennel sausage with bitter salad greens (dandelion greens, red chard, peppercress and arugula) and donut white peaches

14552321944_05e12479ea_z.jpg

14553018312_8a8a6b3f7d_z.jpg

14367297279_e4262431f2_z.jpg

14550495671_a05674791a_z.jpg

stufato di verdure, poached farm egg

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)
  • Like 2