• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finding opaque spice containers

frigidlizard

Hello all. It's kitchen renovation time in my house, and I've decided to get serious about my spices. I want to store them away from light, but using cabinet space isn't possible, so it's gotta be a bigger spice rack. I need to find opaque spice jars and this is where the difficulty lies. It's easy enough to get those cute opaque glass vintage sets, but they don't suit my kitchen aesthetic, and I don't trust the seals on 40 year old jars. It's easy to find aluminum and ceramic containers, but those tend to be too large or awkwardly shaped to fit in a standard spice rack. Does anybody know where I can find opaque containers in the size of a standard spice jar?

Have you looked at the various options at Specialty Bottle? They have slim aluminum bottles that might work for spices, or some opaque plastic options. They also have lots of colored glass options, some of which might work depending on the aesthetic you are going for.

Yes, I have. Couldn't find anything I liked, unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion.

This may not suit your needs or aesthetic but how about keeping them in their original jars or bags and storing them in a bread bin on the counter like this Wesco: http://www.amazon.com/Wesco-2641-Grandy-Breadbin/dp/B00083HPIO (or this knock-off/inspired version by Polder: http://www.amazon.com/Polder-KTH-916201-Retro-Bread-White/dp/B001AQS2CG)?

For aluminum tins, Dean and Deluca sell a metro wire style rack for their spices: http://www.deandeluca.com/herbs-and-spices/herb-spice-collections/dean-and-deluca-metropolitan-rack.aspx

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Well, I've already decided to mount the rack vertically on the side of my cabinet and save the counter space, so a countertop box would not work. As far as aesthetics, I really just mean plain round or square bottles as opposed to some of the more "fanciful" designs I've seen on amazon (good lord, there are cone-shaped jars).

Actually, I'm now toying with the idea of using inexpensive glass jars and somehow coating the outside, maybe with spray paint, if I can find a food-safe paint or topcoat. 

I freaking love that breadbox design, btw. Thanks for suggesting it.  :smile:

Depending on how modern your tastes are, you could use metal containers and magnets so they'd stick to a metal plate instead of sitting in a spice rack? I think that is what I am going to end up doing for my most used stuff, because I have no good place for a spice rack large enough for everything anyway. It is definitely what I am going to do for my collection of loose tea samples, so I can keep them handily near the kettle instead of tucked away in a cabinet where they sometimes get forgotten.

• Like 1

IKEA has ,metal tins called tripp, that might  work and airtight  tea tins  will work too amazon has lots of them.  My  spices are in mental tins, anything from old candy ones to modern  black treacle tins.

Edited by CatPoet (log)

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Would something like these work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ten-10-Vintage-Small-White-Glass-Jars-with-Screw-On-Metal-Lids-1-75-034-Square-/291137472931?nma=true&si=ZetqI%252BSJBYD3%252Bw%252BDKRky9g%252FIaR4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

What is your kitchen aesthetic, by the way?

We currently have an ultra-modern, all-white kitchen under construction, and these jars I linked to would not be out of place in it.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

What is your kitchen aesthetic, by the way?

We currently have an ultra-modern, all-white kitchen under construction, and these jars I linked to would not be out of place in it.

I probably erred in describing it as a "renovation"; basically, I'm just making my tiny condo kitchen as efficient as I can, so my aesthetic is pretty much "functional." I do like the milk glass, I may just have to give it  a second look. Thanks for the info. 

Depending on how modern your tastes are, you could use metal containers and magnets so they'd stick to a metal plate instead of sitting in a spice rack? I think that is what I am going to end up doing for my most used stuff, because I have no good place for a spice rack large enough for everything anyway. It is definitely what I am going to do for my collection of loose tea samples, so I can keep them handily near the kettle instead of tucked away in a cabinet where they sometimes get forgotten.

I have this type of setup for most of my spices - but instead of a piece of metal (expensive), I bought a magnetic white board from Staples to stick them to... works very well.

This suggestion won't work for getting the spice rack off the counter, but it still might be useful in other ways...I keep my herbs and spices in their original containers and store them all in this http://www.containerstore.com/shop/office/fileCartsCabinets?productId=10000332&N=74544.  It is a mini filing cabinet and each drawer is sized to hold a ream of paper.  I have a very extensive spice collection that fills the whole thing, but if you don't use it all that way it could be useful holding small utensils and other items that may otherwise take up valuable drawer space.  

Edited by LizD518 (log)

I do something like that as well.  I have an old 4-drawer oak library card catalog that sits on the counter and holds an amazing amount of

spice containers.  One drawer even has room to act as a recipe file.  As a former librarian, it gives me pleasure to recycle it.  I am on the lookout for a six drawer but this will work just fine for now.   If only Penzey's would stop using round containers it would be perfect.

• Like 1

I bought a dozen of the  "Stainless Steel spice cans"  (not the ones with the clear lids)  a few months ago  for some of my homemade herb and spice blends - because they stack and unlike some of the metal containers can go in the dishwasher. (Aluminum cans should not go in the dishwasher.)

This is a better price than I paid.    Some vendors sell individual cans for 5.99 each but I don't think they are the quality of these. 

I also bought some of the taller cans with clear tops for stick cinnamon, whole cloves and star anise - which I purchase in bulk.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have this type of setup for most of my spices - but instead of a piece of metal (expensive), I bought a magnetic white board from Staples to stick them to... works very well.

Ikea has a metal notice board thing at the moment that has potential. (I haven't checked the measurements precisely yet.) but yes, a magnetic white board sounds like a good idea also. Depending on location it might be handy for notes or if it is big enough, you could have a staging area to pull out the spices you need for a recipe. I have a friend who messes around with all kinds of stuff so will be able to get me metal scrap pieces that are suitable, but if not I might steal the whiteboard idea. :) (Also remember that if you don't like the look of the metal or whiteboard, there is no reason why you couldn't cover it with fabric or paper as long as the layer is thin enough that the spice containers still stick. So maybe not thick fleece or velvet unless your magnets are quite strong. :) )

http://www.tubularspices.com/spiceracks/sohospiceboard.asp is the kind of set up you usually see, but I am buying solid lid containers instead and just spending a bit of time making nice looking labels for the lids. Maybe not as visually exciting, but I pay too much for spices to have them sit out in the light all day.

Not totally opaque perhaps but I reseal some spices in bags under vacuum and store them inside a cabinet that never receives direct sun.  Saffron I store in a metal jar.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou