• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Microwave-Roasting Coffee Beans

dcarch

I drink too much coffee. Always trying different beans. I roast my own green coffee beans. Also always try to look for different ways to roast the beans.

An idea came to my head. "What if I use the microwave oven?"

Looked on youtube, didn't find anyone's video.

I tried, and it worked. You can microwave/roast green coffee beans, small or large quantities. 

1. You need a ceramic bowl, not covered. Plastic may melt.

2. You need to stir the beans every 20 seconds to get an even "roast", depending on your MW power.

3. Near the end, it will be somewhat smoky.

4. It didn't take too long, depending how dark you like the beans roasted.

Anyone tried the same? How do you roast yours?

dcarch

• Like 1

Interesting that didn't happen, as long as you stir the beans regularly. (and in a MV that has a rotating platter)

The few batches I did was very evenly "roasted"

Also, you will need gloves. The bowl will get very hot.

dcarch

yuk

get a decent burr grinder   all that work and you're getting old gunk from other peoples grinds some of it a bit rancid.

Quite the opposite. I find cheap beans, other people have expensive exotic beans which will improve my beans. LOL!

Interesting that the first POP comes much faster. I don't know if that would mean anything to the flavor.

dcarch