• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hi from southern Indiana

Hi all, my name is Lisa. I am an RN, and I love to cook. I love my job as a nurse, but it also keeps me out of the kitchen. I would like to have a culinary degree as well to have something to fall back on, but it is probably more ambition and worrying about the future more than anything.

• Like 1

Welcome, Lisa. There are plenty of professional cooks around here who can probably give you some guidance if you decide you want to take the plunge. Meanwhile, the rest of us enthusiasts are always glad to have another cook in the mix.

What kind of food do you like to cook? Given your job, do you find yourself looking for something quick when you get home? Do you manage more labor-intensive cookery on your days off?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hi, Lisa,

If you have the time/energy to take courses besides doing your job, cooking credits will at the very least let you spend some time in a kitchen, which can be a reward in itself. Better, you will learn to cook well for yourself, and most folks have lost that skill.

But, based on 2 children who are/have worked food service, as well as several friends, it may be a fall back, but often not much of one. My youngest is up to average wage for a line cook, and he does get a free meal. But he is also young and unattached. Another who is an old friend has another job, and his wife is a physician.

Thinking back over the jobs that people I have know had, I recall that one woman took courses that allowed her to get a medical lab job, and from there, she went on to take more courses. In the end, she got a masters in speech therapy, and had a good job. Not a job counselor, but maybe play your strengths.

Welcome, Lisa!  We lived in Batesville for a few years in the early 1990's.  We loved the area and miss it a lot!  You will find lots of good advice here if you decide to go the pro route in cooking.  We have lots of folks who earn their living in the food business.  But there are lots of regular folks who just love to cook, so either way you've found a good place!

I just would like to have something else to fall back on in case something disasterous happened- I have my daughter and myself to support. However, there is a large part of me that wants to do it for the heck of it.

I love to cook whatever sounds good. I have no one favorite genre. I especially like coming across German recipes that arent so heavy. On my days off I cook, otherwise its leftovers or something that takes no effort.

I had the pleasure of living in Pensacola for three years- my first time away from home. It was so nice to have a variety of fresh produce and fish. Unfortunately we learned that my daughter suffers from lethal arrythmias, so my parents insisted we move home to the family farm in Jasper. Thank you all for the welcomes! I have learned quite a bit just in the last day or two