• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creme fraiche

jaybee

I have almost never purchased creme fraiche ( and I have been cooking since 1983, a Pastry Chef since 1993). I stir together (36% butterfat cream, and NOT ultraprocessed), 1 cup to half a T buttermilk. Leave it out overnight, (a very clean and fresh smelling container that is well covered). In SF it took almost the same amount of time (there I was producing for a hotel plus three restaurants). You will have creme fraiche by the next day (you can tell, the mixture will thicken and look like yogurt). Remember to refrigerate it after that. You can whip it when it is cold. I love creme fraiche.

• 2 months later...

Homemade creme fraiche: OK, so what's with the huge variation in the ratio of buttermilk to heavy cream? Do both proportions (2 T, vs. 1 cup, buttermilk to 1 cup cream) "work" -- and then you simply get a version that is more or less tangy?

How long is OK to let the work-in-progress sit outside the refrigerator before it gathers bad bacteria or otherwise turns into something you don't want to eat? (as in "longer it sits, tangier it gets) ??

:huh:

Aquitaine,

I use yogurt mostly, but never really measure. Just a good sized scoop of yogurt (I use Nancy's...you want something with live culture), maybe 2 T, and a half-pint of cream.

I set mine on the top of my old gas stove so the pilot keeps it warm. I've left it there for more than 24 hours with no apparent ill effects.

My most recent batch sat for a good day. It got quite thick, almost spreadable.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food