• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hotel near the Merced Market ?

cacahuete

Hello..... this is my first time here.  I am trying to plan a trip to Mexico.  i REALLY love big markets.... any recomendations on

a place to stay near the Merced ?

i am also wondering about any culinary tours since i dont know a soul in Mexico.

any recomendations there as well ?

Mexican food is my absolute favorite.... it would be nice to have some guidance when i get down there.... if possible.

thanks

Welcome to EGullet, Cacahuete.

Are you asking about La Merced in Mexico City? Wikipedia describes the neighborhood as "marginalized and poor," and an unofficial red-light district where the authorities look the other way. A place to visit for the market, but not a place to stay as a tourist, IMO.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Merced_(neighborhood)#Socioeconomics

As for culinary tours, I'm glad to recommend Nora at the Alma de mi Tierra Cooking School in Oaxaca, Mexico. I stayed there some years ago during the Day of the Dead festival, took cooking classes, visited various foodie places and artisans with Nora. She is very knowledgeable about the area. I would do her classes and tours again.

Her website: http://almademitierra.net/

My Oaxaca trip on EGullet:
http://forums.egullet.org/topic/109983-oaxaca-day-of-the-dead/

Years ago I heard about Nancy Zaslavsky from someone I was working with. She stayed with Nancy at San Miguel de Allende and praised the food and the setting. Other than that, I don't know anything about these tours--you'll have to check it out yourself.
http://www.nancyzaslavsky.com/home.html

HI thanks for your post... yes i was talking about the market in Mexico City.  i know that its not a good neighborhood but was wondering if there was a good place to stay if you are specifically wanting to go to the market.

but really.... since i have not been in Mexico before....  i should go with people who know.

i will check into your suggestions for culinary tours and cooking as well.

thanks very much

If you don't know Mexico City, it is huge, chaotic, and difficult to get around, And wonderful. I recommend the Mercado San Juan, where chefs shop. I also recommend you take a tour or hire a guide, for efficiency and safety. You might try eatmexico, or other that hits several markets.

If you don't know Mexico City, it is huge, chaotic, and difficult to get around, And wonderful. I recommend the Mercado San Juan, where chefs shop. I also recommend you take a tour or hire a guide, for efficiency and safety. You might try eatmexico, or other that hits several markets.

YES !  thats what i would like to do.... VERY MUCH !   hire a guide.

any suggestions on how i could find someone who likes to eat and can show me where all the good places are ?

thanks

It's easy enough to get to from the center. If it's your first trip, a guide would be great as it's HUGE and fun and you wouldn't want to miss things. 
Nancy Zavlasky is great but I do believe she does organized tours with groups. She would be worth checking out and she's very fun and knowledgeable. There's also Betsy McNair's My Mexico Tours. 
in  DF, there's Crisitna Potters (who posts here as esperanza) and her Mexico Cooks tours, Lesley Tellez has a tour company specializing in food but I can't think of the name right now, Ruth Alegria does tours when she's in town and she posts here as Ruth in Condechi I believe. I can recommend all of them. I feel like I'm forgetting someone and feel guilty about that. 

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Mercado Merced is easy to get to from el Zócalo  area. In fact, the Metro line has a station inside the Mercado.

Mercado San Juan is much tamer, yet interesting. It also tends to be expensive in the context of Mexican Mercados.

We have been considering hotels close to Mercado San Juan, among them, Hotel San Diego and Hotel Fornos. The latter especially looks like a real deal, but we have never stayed there. An apparent drawback is that the neighborhood is a bit rough edged, especially at night, and walkable dining options seem scarce.

But the truth is, if we need something from the Mercado San Juan and its savory environs, it's no big deal to get a cab or take the MetroBus. We'll undoubtedly continue to stay in Colonia Roma Norte, surrounded by numerous, often appealing restaurants.

Note: Lesley Tellez' tour company is Eat Mexico.

Edited by Panosmex (log)
  • Like 1
Buen provecho, Panosmex

Cacahuate, don't know what your hotel budget might be; however I would recommend the Hotel Majestic on Calle Madero right on the Plaza Mayor.  It is directly across from the Palacio Nacional, just south of the Metropolitan Cathedral, and catty-cornered from the Templo Mayor and it is very close to Mercado Merced.  The Fundacion Herdez is there, the Museo del Templo Mayor, lots of restaurants, Churreria El Moro is close, etc.  The concierges at the Majestic can get you guides - not culinary guides - if you want.  It can be a noisy spot if there are demonstrations or protests going on, and too early in the am the army comes out with bugles to play the anthem and raise that huge flag in the center of the Plaza.  Last I checked, doubles were +/- $60-$70/night.  It also has a great rooftop with restaurant, but beware:  they charge you for each cup of coffee!

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

The Hotel Catedral, on Donceles, a nice, full service hotel, and a couple of blocks north of the Zócalo has been a favorite of travelers for some years. But we stayed there only twice, before changing to hotels in Colonia Roma Norte.

Edited by Panosmex (log)
Buen provecho, Panosmex

HEY WOW !  i havent had a chance to check this site for a while.... thanks to everyone who posted about places to stay and food tours.

it IS my first trip to Mexico and i DO want to have a guide.   I have traveled ALOT on my own overseas but have never got round to Mexico.

NOW!  its all i can seem to think about.  I rarely eat anything other than Mexican food anymore and its all i seem to want.

i absolutely MUST get down there !  LOL

I will definitely check into all your suggestions.   i would like to be gone as many weeks as i can.  I want a decent place to stay..... but would rather spend my money on food.   it would even be fun to have a furnished place with a kitchen.  I would stay for months if i could get something like that set up.  LOL

any suggestions on THAT kind of thing would ALSO be most welcome.

thanks