• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greetings from My Back yard

Gaius46

Hello. I'm Sal a home cook from Long Island NY. Today is a perfect day to sit in one's yard, slowing smoke a couple of chickens and relax with an oak aged beer while surfing on the iPad, which as luck would have it is exactly what I'm doing. Shortly a half dozen ears of corn will go to the grill as well as some asparagus.

I discovered a love for cooking somewhat late in life, I'm 53 and have been passionate about cooking for the past 5 years or so. These days I pretty much do all the cooking for my tribe of 5, one of whom, my daughter in law, is a pastry chef - that was cool for a while, now I'm sick of cakes and cookies :)

I especially like all day preparations, like braises and stews and the like because they become an organic part of of the day. Do a little work on the food, then go off and do something else. And I've also started brewing my own beer which is loads of fun.

Otherwise in my day job I'm a manager of a software engineering team. I also work part time as a flight instructor and a musician . No money in either but they are the things I love to do most in the world.

The grill is calling. Have a good weekend and Happy Fathers Day to the dads out there.

Edited by Gaius46 (log)
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forums, Sal / Gaius46. That's a very nice intro to your world, and from this windy, cold, drizzly part of the world it's particularly evocative. It sounds like you'll fit right in here: we have brewers and beer drinkers, braisers and grillers and cooks and generally all sorts of curious cooks. Come on in and join the fun!

Maybe we can start a $100 hamburger topic. :-)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown