• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef Bacon.

GuitarManSam666

Hey guys!

This is my first post, I'm excited to be part of the community. I'm Jewish and I keep Kosher so I don't eat regular pork bacon. However, at my neighborhood Kroger I've found beef bacon by a company called Gwaltney. I'm really curious though, where on a cow does this cut come from? Thanks for any help!

Sam.

I've never heard of it so I have no idea what part of the cow it comes out of.  Have you tried turkey bacon?  Several different manufacturers make it and some of it is actually quite good.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Pretty common in Muslim countries and in halal communities. If you have "Bacon & Eggs" in a restaurant in a hotel that wants to do business with the govt in Malaysia, for example, you are likely to get beef bacon which must also have been certified as scrupulously "halal".

The cut that is used varies depending on who is making it and so on, but frequently the beef navel is used.  "Beef belly". :-) Brisket is also used, and sometimes other cuts too.  One useful post (and thread...).  Ask in a halal shop in your area (are you in the USA?) for "Breakfast Beef" and, if they have it, ask them which cut was used.

Have you considered lamb bacon?  I think that is more scrumptious than beef bacon.  Usually made from, yes, lamb belly :-) in the US.  Some folks (like this fellow, amongst others) uses the saddle.  Smoking Goose, in my area, uses the belly (sold through its sister shop Goose the Market).

ETA:  The Beef Bacon Corporation (in Canada) (google it) claims to be the world's largest supplier of the stuff (and also claims to have invented it (??!!)) (N.B. I have no financial or other interests in that company)

ETA2: Kosher lamb bacon appears to be available.

Edited by huiray (log)

Yep, navel or plate.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Halal beef "bacon" is called Macon in South Africa.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

I've never heard of it so I have no idea what part of the cow it comes out of.  Have you tried turkey bacon?  Several different manufacturers make it and some of it is actually quite good.

How do you get nice bacon from an animal that barely has any fat (I've never had poultry bacon)?

Edited by ahpadt (log)