• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breville: Is This Pizza for You ?

rotuts

today i was on a Field Trip to get ideas for my CuisiSteamBoy, esp the drip pan.

im not much of a Mall-er, but at WSonoma I saw this :

http://www.brevilleusa.com/crispy-crust-pizza-maker.html

i imply nothing w this ref.

Ive personally suspected that Breville today is what Cuisinart was way back when, when they 

brought the Robot to the Heathens :

http://www.robot-coupe.com/en-usa/catalogue/bowl-cutter-mixers,32/

Id prefer they look into the Breville XXL Steam Boy  ( Girl ? ) that held a 1/4 sheet pan w a bit of room

and could take 4 - 5 of these pans.

500 USAD would be nice    400 USAD at BB&B

they sure do have a lot of stuff.

today i was on a Field Trip to get ideas for my CuisiSteamBoy, esp the drip pan.

im not much of a Mall-er, but at WSonoma I saw this :

http://www.brevilleusa.com/crispy-crust-pizza-maker.html

i imply nothing w this ref.

Ive personally suspected that Breville today is what Cuisinart was way back when, when they 

brought the Robot to the Heathens :

http://www.robot-coupe.com/en-usa/catalogue/bowl-cutter-mixers,32/

Id prefer they look into the Breville XXL Steam Boy  ( Girl ? ) that held a 1/4 sheet pan w a bit of room

and could take 4 - 5 of these pans.

500 USAD would be nice    400 USAD at BB&B

they sure do have a lot of stuff.

By coincidence, I saw the pizza oven thingy at Williams Sonoma just yesterday....it doesn't look so great, in person.  Slot for the pizza is pretty narrow, so if you have irregular or tall toppings, they will be way too close to the element.  Stone is on the small side, so you're either making 10" pizzas, or the edges may bubble over and spill out (esp w/liquidy toppings and a poorly formed edge).

thanks

why didn't BV put there energy into the BV-XXL steam boy ?

call them and complain

if 50,000  38 eG'er's did this, we would have the BV-XXL SB by this fall

• Like 2

If I'm spending that kind of money it won't be for an oven with "pizza party" engraved in its bricks. Holy crap, what a marketing blunder. Call it something Italian..call it nothing. Don't call it Pizza Party unless it is part of Barbi's Dream Kitchen.

• Like 2

It looks like the Ferrari oven very popular in Italy.

These clamshell type pizza ovens have seen many incarnations over the years: Ferrari, Deni Bella, Bestron Alfredo, Delizia, Forno Magnifico (Costco), just to name a few. The ones made in Italy have a better build quality, are more powerful and can be modded to do Neapolitan, but you have to be pretty comfortable re-wiring small appliances.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=19732.0

Not that the build quality is great on the Italian ovens, just considerably better than the Chinese models, which, besides looking like garbage, as Mitch pointed out, actually are garbage.  This model, being made in China, fits firmly in the garbage camp.

If you pray to the pizza gods regularly, click your heels three times and say a few hail mary's, you might be able to get a half decent, albeit postage stamp sized NY style pie from a Chinese oven, but, based on the amount of sheer luck, virtuoso tinkering and inevitable agita the Chinese ovens  encapsulate, the most you'd ever want to spend is $20 on ebay- and that's fully understanding that you might be throwing your $20 out the window- and you could be spending the better part of a year futzing with it to get a great pie out of it.  These aren't ovens, they're time sucking vortexes.

On the other hand, if you've got a regular home oven with a broiler in the main compartment and that will go to 525, as many people have, a  locally purchased $50 (or less) steel plate will get you incredibly consistent flawless 16+" NY style pies- time after time. Steel has a learning curve, but it's nothing like these clamshell ovens.

Edited by scott123 (log)

It's not in the same price range but if I could I'd get this one

If you're going to spend more than $1k on an oven, it had better be able to do a picture perfect Neapolitan pizza,  and, of the hundred or so pizzas I've seen come out of this oven, none have been anywhere near picture perfect.

Propane doesn't have quite as much romance as wood, but a $400 Blackstone oven is capable of producing Neapolitan pizza as good as any you've seen in Neapolitan wood fired ovens 25 times the price.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=28721.0

Beyond the questionable quality of pies it produces, the Pizza Party has a pretty serious safety flaw, imo.  The front of the oven is just brick- no insulation, no weatherproofing. If you get it hot enough and then it gets wet (ie, it starts to rain), best case scenario it only cracks, worst case scenario, boom.

Any quality brick lined oven will have a layer of insulation to keep the heat in (and not waste fuel) along wiht a weatherproofing layer (sometimes stucco, but can be other materials) to keep the water out, since very hot bricks and cool water is not a good combination.

Edited by scott123 (log)
  • Like 1

Love Egullet, there is always oeople refraining you from stupid purchases. Not that I was going to spend the money on that oven tomorrow, I would have checked here first. Thanks Scott123, I don't eat pizza regularly, I'm more interested into a small oven to cook other food.

Edited by Franci (log)

Love Egullet, there is always oeople refraining you from stupid purchases. Not that I was going to spend the money on that oven tomorrow, I would have checked here first. Thanks Scott123, I don't eat pizza regularly, I'm more interested into a small oven to cook other food.

I think it is crazy and irresponsible to promote that (Pizza Party) oven for indoor use.

The design does not allow for complete combustion, therefore, CO (carbon monoxide) will be a byproduct.

It may not kill you the first time, but after a while ---------------------

dcarch

• Like 1