• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charleston Revisited

et alors

I'm not seeing any posts more recently than three years old, I apologize if I've missed something...

Heading to Charleston for a few days and looking for one impressive magical multi-course meal for a goodly sized group (we tend to run 6-10) and several smaller venues for tasty but not as bank-busting.

Also, BBQ. Because BBQ.

Any advice? Anything gone down hill? Any hot new kid doing magic in the kitchen?

Thanks!

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

Been here a few days. I started with this http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/travel/a-taste-of-charleston-old-school-and-new.html?action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&module=MostEmailed&version=Full®ion=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=article&_r=0

We dined at The Ordinary and it was extraordinary. The seafood tower is stunning, lobster cooked perfectly, oysters sweet (and shucked well) crab Louis and razor clam salad delicious... Sigh.
post-16205-0-62052200-1402691955.jpg

Virginias has become a go-to for breakfast and lunch. Their she crab soup and fried pickles are outstanding. We also dined at Hominy grill which has a great shrimp and grits. We cpgrabbed a snack at Boone's and the Pim cup and crap cake on crispy chicken skins were yummy.

Tonight: Edmunds Oast

Edited by Mjx (log)
  • Like 2

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

I should have known better than posting on an ipad! Typos!

image.jpg

Another night, another tower, this time of house cured meat at Edmunds Oast. They have been open four months now, and have scaled back their menu a lot. I was hoping for something more like the NYT article, but having made the journey there, I stayed. It was delicious. We followed with corn pudding, yellowtail crudo, picked shrimp toast, grouper, a perfect steak and a lovely chicken porridge that is way tastier than it sounds.

• 3 years later...

We’re going to Charleston for an extended weekend next month. I made reservations at Hall’s Chophouse for my birthday. 

Others on my radar (there are so many!!) are Hominy Grill, Husk, Magnolia’s, SNOB’s , Callie’s Hot Little Biscuit, Rodney Scott’s BBQ and Pearlz Oyster Bar. 

Has anyone been recently or from the area? Any “must try” dishes? We’re only there for four nights so unless we have an awful time I think we will likely go back soon. 

It's been a few years, but my wife and I had an excellent dinner at Husk. I hope they haven't gone downhill. 

Love Pearlz, super crowded and I don't think they take reservations but really good oysters. 

And I think it's a chain, but I always seem to end up at Blind Tiger for late night... stuff. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Thanks ya’ll. (I so cannot pull of saying that especially since when I drink I do have an odd northeastern accent ). 

Since we’re going over St. Patrick’s Day weekend (my bday is 3/17) I figured a good steakhouse dinner to soak the inevitable drinks (which in my instance is mostly wine) was a good idea for an early dinner that night. 

I have a lunch reservation for Monday 3/19 at Husk. Crowds can irritate me and their lunch menu seemed just as good. 

I’m thinking of Hominy Grill for Friday. Or SNOB. Or Magnolia Grill. 

My eyes are a lot bigger than my stomach! 

Best steak I've had was at Grill225 in the Market Pavillion Hotel. My wife and I were staying there and they gave us a $50 voucher for food/drink at either the restaurant or the rooftop bar. We'd driven all day to get there so we went to the restaurant. I was looking forward to some seafood when the waiter said, "All of our steaks are 45 day dry aged prime". I had the ribeye. 

http://www.marketpavilion.com/grill225.cfm

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

On 2/7/2018 at 3:51 PM, BeeZee said:

I'll be following with interest, hubs just suggested a short vaca end of March/early April and this is on my destination short list.

I will try to take pictures so I can write up a report of my trip. I’m staying in what I gather is an area called Cannonborough. It’s north of the French Quarter but our rental apartment has a trolley stop nearby.  

• 1 month later...

So, my trip is a bit embarrassing, food-wise...

after a very turbulent and hot (temperature wise) United shuttle flight I was on about an hour of sleep and really stressed out. We went to HoM ( http://www.homcharleston.com/ ) after leaving our bags at the apartment we rented which was still being cleaned. It was really good, we got the fancy tots, my husband had the Cowboy Killer and those “fried onions” were three onion rings that had to have been battered with a type of funnel cake. Really different in a good way. I had the backyard burger. I then passed out for 6 hours! 

We had already bought wine and beer and I was hungry and, for shame (although I enjoyed it) we had ihop delivered via UberEats. 

Saturday, my birthday, we went to Hall’s Chophouse. It wasn’t cheap but it was amazing. The hospitality was above and beyond— we received free champagne as it was my birthday. We had stone crab claws, my husband had the ribeye and I have a 4 oz Waygu A5 and couldn’t finish it— so rich. We had the pepper jack creamed corn, fried okra and sautéed mushrooms with a bottle of Heinz Cabernet. They offer half portions of the sides so you can try more. We took a pedicab home which I loved. 

958D9032-6DE4-4401-8E59-CDC0609B5587.jpeg

5985EA8A-2D7D-453A-8ACE-57395C76F42F.jpeg

317DF8F0-8356-41D8-A09E-3F2F020122B4.jpeg

• Like 3

Sunday I was hurting. A Belvedere dirty martini plus the Heitz cab and an after dinner drink... I was exhausted and hurting. Fortunately my husband was as exhausted as I was; we haven’t had more than 5 days in our home together in two months so we SLEPT hard. We ordered UberEats again. Shameful. 

Today we went to Poogan’s Smokehouse which is the sister restaurant of Poogan’s Porch. It was really good but insane amount of meat butter. We both zoned out, especially since my husband ordered the Four Porksmen which was pulled pork, pork belly, smoked bacon, cheese, bbq sauce and a rib on top. I had the smoked and grilled pork belly with cheesy grits. I didn’t do it justice. But damn I am a grits addict. 

We walked around the French Quater area for a bit, bought Tervises of all things and my husband bought me an estate sapphire and diamond ring from Croghan’s. 

A nice trip despite hustling to get home. 

I did cancel our Husk reservation (I KNOW!) but the menu for the day didn’t appeal strongly to either of us. 

I would go back, the city is charming and cute but I won’t rush back. Even when it’s 63 degrees it’s super muggy and I was too hot yet people were wearing down jackets!  None of the restaurants or shops were using AC. Just a personal pet peeve. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

So, my trip is a bit embarrassing, food-wise...

after a very turbulent and hot (temperature wise) United shuttle flight I was on about an hour of sleep and really stressed out. We went to HoM ( http://www.homcharleston.com/ ) after leaving our bags at the apartment we rented which was still being cleaned. It was really good, we got the fancy tots, my husband had the Cowboy Killer and those “fried onions” were three onion rings that had to have been battered with a type of funnel cake. Really different in a good way. I had the backyard burger. I then passed out for 6 hours! 

We had already bought wine and beer and I was hungry and, for shame (although I enjoyed it) we had ihop delivered via UberEats. 

Saturday, my birthday, we went to Hall’s Chophouse. It wasn’t cheap but it was amazing. The hospitality was above and beyond— we received free champagne as it was my birthday. We had stone crab claws, my husband had the ribeye and I have a 4 oz Waygu A5 and couldn’t finish it— so rich. We had the pepper jack creamed corn, fried okra and sautéed mushrooms with a bottle of Heinz Cabernet. They offer half portions of the sides so you can try more. We took a pedicab home which I loved. 

Happy birthday!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1