• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best $1000 freestanding range?

thegreatdane

I have had a great experience with a Frigidaire that is almost identical to this one (mine has one additional higher powered burner, but everything else is just about the same). And you can see this one gets nearly five star reviews both on AJ Madison as well as on Home Depot and other sites. 

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/FGGF3054MW.html

I have two houses, in my other home I have a much more expensive Kitchenaid that was put in by the builder. I like the Frigidaire MUCH more... 

Edited by Emily_R (log)

My Fridigaire has a 16k power burner and the speed bake (convection) function. We are very happy with it.

Edited to add: the one down side is that even with the speed bake on we need to rotate baked goods half way through to get the most even results.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I've got to say, even though having convection was a big priority when I bought an oven, I *never* use it. I guess its that my old oven was so old and crappy, that just about any modern oven was going to be much more even heat than what I'd had. So I'm very happy with my Frigidaire's heating without convection.

One thing that I didn't appreciate enough, but now do, is how big a difference it makes to have grates that are relatively close to the burners. My Kitchenaid feels like it loses a ton of heat because the grates are quite high, and so there is lots of space between the burner and the pot where the heat can escape. My Frigidaire doesn't have that problem.

Oh -- and one other thing I love -- having an oven rack that automatically pulls out when you open the door!

I totally get that any new oven is a vast improvement on the 25 year old existing one I have. So, cast iron grates, knobs on the front, and at least one high btu burner are pretty standard today. Convection is a toss up on whether I need it. But, considering I may not buy a new one for another 25 years, I may as well get some good features. Thanks, all!