• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creating a cocktail website

Hi,

I am a web developer, and I am thinking of creating a cocktail website. The site will basically be a place where people can read and create cocktail recipes, comment on those recipes, search for cocktails depending on the occasion you want to drink it (for example, you can search for "sweet cocktails to take on the beach", or drinks to take in a night club). Registered users can add the ingredients they have at home too, so when they view a recipe, the website tells the person wether they need to buy some ingredients, or they are ready to prepare it.

Would you be interested in the website, and would you visit it?

Hi,

I am a web developer, and I am thinking of creating a cocktail website. The site will basically be a place where people can read and create cocktail recipes, comment on those recipes, search for cocktails depending on the occasion you want to drink it (for example, you can search for "sweet cocktails to take on the beach", or drinks to take in a night club). Registered users can add the ingredients they have at home too, so when they view a recipe, the website tells the person wether they need to buy some ingredients, or they are ready to prepare it.

Would you be interested in the website, and would you visit it?

Not to discourage you, but there are actually several websites (as well as mobile apps) in existence that do most or all of the things you've described.  Some good, some not so good.  You should put them through their paces and see how you could improve upon them.  One of the biggest problems I've found with cocktail websites that allow user-added entries is the proliferation of bad drinks (I call them frat-boy drinks), drinks with puerile names, duplicate entries, and recipes for classics that are not aligned with any of the canonical sources.  It's a noble effort and creating such a site can be fun but upkeep becomes a pain and such sites are often  incomplete or become neglected.  weinoo already mentioned Kindred Cocktails.  If you can improve on that, you win the Internet.  CocktailDB is another good one and has some fun gadgets to play with such as the Mixilator.

• Like 2

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes