• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Songs

liuzhou

A great Canadian contribution, Stompin' Tom's iconic and excellent The Ketchup Song (ketchup loves potatoes!) 

If you can't youtube it, here are the lyrics (Leamington was, until just recently, the longtime home of a Heinz Ketchup factory)

No more Heinz factory in Leamington? Say it isn't so! We did a bike ride through there many moons ago, and the Heinz factory is one of the things I remember as distinguishing Leamington from all the other towns along the lakeshore that we rode through. (Well, that, and a great kitchen store called Strawberry, and our first-ever venture into a Canada Tire store, and the oppressive heat and unrelenting sunshine that turned our tent into an oven for the two nights and a day we were there.

My contribution to this topic is one favorite from Girl Scout Camp days: Fried Ham!

As I remember the words:

Fried ham, fried ham, cheese and bologna.

After the macaroni we'll have onions,

Pickles, and peppers, and then we'll have some more

Fried ham, fried ham, fried ham!

(Save some ### verse. ***** talk, much much worse!)

For the second (third, fourth, etc.) we'd keep the words the same, but change the style: "doggie talk" where all the words became woof, baby talk, Pig Latin talk, or whatever other talk we could come up with. It was invariably much much worse. :raz:

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

"If I Knew You Were Comin' I'd Have Baked a Cake" another Rosemary Clooney

"Black Coffee" Ella Fitzgerald

"That's Amore" (When the Moon Hits Your Eye Like a Big Pizza Pie)  Dean Martin

"Sugar Time"

Edited by ruthcooks (log)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Frim Fram Sauce (Nat "King" Cole et al., most notably Diana Krall)

I don't want French fried potatoes,

Red ripe tomatoes,
I'm never satisfied.
I want the frim-fram sauce with the oss'n'fay
With shafafa on the side.

I don't want pork chops and bacon,
That won't awaken
My appetite inside.

Now a person's really got to eat
And a person should eat right.
Five will get you ten
I'm gonna feed myself right tonight.

I don't want fish cakes and rye bread,
You heard what I said.
Waiter, please serve mine fried.

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

"We Don't Serve Bread with One Fishball"

Though I've only heard it sung as "We Don't Serve Bread with One Meatball".

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake!

Hot tamales (Robert Johnson)

Cornbread and butter beans (most recently recorded by the Carolina Chocolate Drops)

And my favorite sea shanty, "all for me grog".

There is a wonderful hip hop song about Thanksgiving foods, but I can't remember the title or artist.

Herb Alpert - Whipped Cream & Other Delights

The Smiths - Meat is Murder

Prince - Starfish and Coffee

The Divine Comedy – Seafood Song

Blur – Bank Holiday

The Pixies – Bone Machine

There are a lot of French songs about food too. A couple that pop to mind immediately:

Bobby Lapointe - Aragon et Castille

Lio – Banana Split

This is all I can remember from something at my Girl Scout Camp.

"Great big gobs of greasy, grimy gopher guts and me without a spoon."  Any campers out there you can remember the rest?

I learned it this way:

Great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts, chopped up monkey meat, hairy little piggy feet,

all ground up with homogenized camel snot - and me without my spoon!

On a more civilized note there are:

"Tea for Two"

'I like coffee, I like tea; I like the java jive and it loves me. Coffee and tea, the java and me, a cuppa cuppa cuppa cuppa cup - boy!' (I don't remember the title, but I think the Ink Spots sang it)

"The Big Rock Candy Mountain"

Some percolator song with this refrain, sung very fast (you try it):

"All I want is a proper cup of coffee

Made in a proper copper coffee pot

I may be off my dot but I want my coffee brewed in a copper coffee pot

Iron coffee pots and tin coffee pots, oh they're no use to me

If I can't have a proper cup of coffee in a proper copper coffee pot I'll have a cup of tea"

Greg Brown's "Taste a Little Bit of Summer (Grandma's put it all in a jar)"

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I learned it this way:

Great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts, chopped up monkey meat, hairy little piggy feet,

all ground up with homogenized camel snot - and me without my spoon!

We knew it as....

"Great green globs of greasy, grimy gopher guts,

Mutilated monkey meat.

Dirty little birdie feet.

Great green globs of greasy, grimy gopher guts,

And me without my spoon."

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!