• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bourbon for Cooking

Shel_B

I have a couple-three recipes that call for bourbon as an ingredient.  A couple use about two tablespoons per recipe (they are cakes) and the other, a bread pudding, uses about a cup total.  I'd like to find a good quality "cooking" bourbon, but one that could be enjoyed in a drink should the occasion arise (although that's not very likely to happen).

So, what's a decent bourbon for the described purpose?  Maybe in the $15 - $20 price range, less expensive is fine, too.

Thanks!

... Shel

I use Heaven Hill Bonded Gold Label for anything where the alcohol is going to cook off, and Weller for anything where it won't.

• Like 1

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Shel_B isn't the biggest drinker, from memory. If you can get Maker's Mark (or even the entry-level Wild Turkey) in that price range then that's the way to go. I don't know US prices very well: I assume Buffalo Trace is more expensive than that. I mean, if it is <$20USD, that should be your go-to.

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

You might find pint bottles of Maker's or  Knob Ck in that range.

I saw both at Trader Joe's today, and both were around $22.00.  Wild Turkey was $17.00, and I think it was in a bigger bottle.

... Shel

have to make a special trip to pick up

For the value I feel Evan Williams is unbeatable, but I have recently become enamored of Wild Turkey, which is also quite reasonable. 

Wild Turkey is looking pretty good as it's gotten a few mentions in this thread, it's easy to find, unlike some which I'd have to look for and make a special trip to pick up, and the WT price is well within budget.  The only thing I don't know is how much better, if at all, the other brands are for my cooking needs.

... Shel

It really is hard to find anything decent to drink in your price range, Shel.

Maybe, but drinking is way down at the bottom of my priorities list.  Neither Toots nor I will drink it, and I can't think of any friends who might want some, so that just leaves the occasional odd visitor who might have a craving.

... Shel

have to make a special trip to pick up

Wild Turkey is looking pretty good as it's gotten a few mentions in this thread, it's easy to find, unlike some which I'd have to look for and make a special trip to pick up, and the WT price is well within budget.  The only thing I don't know is how much better, if at all, the other brands are for my cooking needs.

So long as it's not rot gut you're probably not going to notice much difference between the cheaper end of the 'good bourbon' spectrum and the more expensive stuff. I really doubt you're going to pick much of a difference between the acceptable, lower priced offerings if you're cooking with them. Unless, you know, you're making something like Heston Blumenthal's whisk[e]y 'wine' gums. But I strongly doubt they're on your menu.

If you can get Wild Turkey locally, go for it. No need to make a special trip. It's not like there's only one passable cheap bourbon. Wild Turkey will successfully handle both jobs you have in mind. And when cooking with it, at least, you--especially as someone that doesn't partake in whiskey--won't notice much, if any, difference.

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

TJs has Rebel Yell at about $11/bottle and it's very good for an inexpensive bourbon. It will cost $20 or so at other places. I remember when they had it for $6.99.

Have you had it recently?  Rebel Yell used to be drinkable. I bought a bottle based on past experience a month ago....it was horrible. Nothing like the old RY. New distiller, I believe.

Have you had it recently?  Rebel Yell used to be drinkable. I bought a bottle based on past experience a month ago....it was horrible. Nothing like the old RY. New distiller, I believe.

No I haven't actually.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Rebel Yell is a venerable old brand once made at the same distillery (Stitzel-Weller) that was run by Pappy Van Winkle where his Old Fitzgerald brand was made. It stopped being made there in the 1980's.

The Rebel Yell brand is now owned by Luxco but made by Heaven Hill and is a wheated style bourbon like Larceny and Old Fitz, both also made by Heaven Hill. I don't think it is very good myself and you are probably better served with the other two brands or perhaps Weller Special Reserve from Buffalo Trace, also a wheated bourbon. WSR was about $12 for 750ml last time I saw it on the shelf and a decent drinking whiskey. Certainly better than Rebel Yell in my opinion.

Even Williams and especially the bourbons made under the Heaven Hill label are rye based whiskey and tend to be a bit spicier than the typical wheated bourbons but can be a decent value as well and typically are at or under $20.

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2