• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)

Vimto? Not familiar.

From Wikipedia:

Vimto is a soft drink originating from England. It was first manufactured as a health tonic in cordial form, then decades later as a carbonated drink. It contains the juice of grapesraspberries and blackcurrants (in a 3% concentration), flavoured with herbs and spices...In the Arabian Peninsula, Vimto has enjoyed over 80 years of dominance as the beverage of choice for the iftar or sunset feast during the Islamic holy fasting month of Ramadan. An article in The Times on-line mentioned some 15 million bottles were sold during the one-month season in 2007.[9]

In short, it mixes very nicely with strong booze as the sweet component of a classic Caribbean punch!

1 oz Pisco Pozo Santo

1 oz Cutty Sark

1 oz Maxime Trijol VSOP

.25oz Maraschino Luxardo

2 Dashes Bitter Truth Tonic Bitters

Grapefruit zest

Wow.

Edited by Adam George (log)

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Last night I had dueling Pink Gins with the newly acquired Fords and Tanqueray Old Tom. The latter was the clear winner. I expected the sweetness of the Tanq, but it has a layer of spice that is spectacular. There's a different sort of sweetness altogether to the Fords, something that reminded me of ginger or galangal. I'm not going to be sipping this one, as it's rather one dimensional, but looking forward to mixing with it.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Dinner is not going well at all, my hands were shaking.  So I made Mississippi punch.  To which I almost added dashi rather than the lemon juice.

Just for fun I tried raspberry gum rather than plain sugar.  The raspberry gum did not add much.  I'm not sure the professor would approve, but I think he would have understood.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Our own Chriss "Hassinho" Hassouni's inventive and delicious pop-up drinkery The Green Zone just got glowing coverage in Thrillist and a shout-out in Eater. If you're in DC and like tasty things, go tonight. 

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

cPykqU1l.jpg

My Black and Bitter Heart

My Kahlua is probably not as classy as whatever "craft" coffee liqueurs are out there, but its syrupy sweetness (in the prescribed small doses) works quite well for me in bitter drinks like this (or the somewhat similar Bombardier). This was complex, bittersweet, and tasty.

Edited by Craig E (log)
  • Like 1

Our own Chriss "Hassinho" Hassouni's inventive and delicious pop-up drinkery The Green Zone just got glowing coverage in Thrillist and a shout-out in Eater. If you're in DC and like tasty things, go tonight. 

That's fantastic. Congrats to Chris!

Thank you both! Tonight was about twice as busy as any previous pop-uppery. Funny how some well-placed mentions online can change things...

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Dante's Requiem. Rit for the rye. Possibly need to cut down on the Benedictine. Even going HARD with the Fernet, the Benedictine pulls its way to the top of the pile like fucking Bailey's. A socially acceptable Bailey's, to be sure, but still très passive aggressive. Not the kind of Bailey's that likes to expose itself to unsuspecting members of the public and dance grotesquely. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Not the kind of Bailey's that likes to expose itself to unsuspecting members of the public and dance grotesquely. 

Hey! I met him recently:

Creepy pantless guy in the woods, shaking his ass in "sexy" underwear. Told him to put his pants back on. Ignored me, so I called cops. Walked a woman out of the woods and met the cops. Walked around with cops for a while. Gave up and finished my walk, but when I emerged from the woods, he was in handcuffs. No, not "sexy" handcuffs.

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Dante's Requiem. Rit for the rye. Possibly need to cut down on the Benedictine. Even going HARD with the Fernet, the Benedictine pulls its way to the top of the pile like fucking Bailey's. A socially acceptable Bailey's, to be sure, but still très passive aggressive. Not the kind of Bailey's that likes to expose itself to unsuspecting members of the public and dance grotesquely. 

I had more or less the same issue with the inspiration cocktail, the Purgatory (which does not benefit from the addition of Fernet).

Oh and I am not sure what to say about Dan's post, other than I feel deeply perturbed and am starting to have horror visions. Need a drink quick, but not this kind obviously.

Since Dan's 'friend' was making a donkey of himself, I propose an Eeyore's Requiem.  Which is a very fine drink I haven't made recently, but should.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Absentmindedly I poured a full ounce of Cointreau into tonight's mai tai.  I compensated.  I might have been better served to dump the whole thing in the sink and start over, as it has taken me over an hour to get the balance close to right.

Edit:  fortunately La Favorite bottles are not hard to open.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Nikka Coffey Grain and Benromach 10 at the Passenger, plus a few cocktails. Excellent whiskies.

Indeed! I particularly like the Nikka Coffey Grain. Picked up the Nikka Coffey Malt on my way through Schiphol recently and looking forward to a SBS with the Nikka Coffey Grain.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

SBS?

Side by side.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2