• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)

Tonight, at the last of twilight, I cut a few flame thrower nasturtium blossoms from my balcony.  Just because I can.  I had thought to use the graceful, pungent, bright orange flowers as a garnish for suimono, since dinner is Japanese cuisine.  They are so beautiful I finally decided to use them as an eatable table decoration.  Floating in a dark blue, almost black, stoneware bowl of water.

However I could not help but notice the blooms are the same hue as the naked and famous I am enjoying at the moment.  (Nonetheless, I put on a top before sitting down to eat.)

Only one drink tonight, because, well...sake.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

We found a small bottle of some mysterious liquid in the fridge yesterday.  Scientific analysis (ie sniffing it) suggested it was either cinnamon syrup or Donn's Mix, so something to use it up seemed a good idea.

The 1934 Zombie - good writeup and recipe here.  I used the last 30ml or so from a bottle of Gosling Black Seal, some Cruzan Blackstrap, Appleton 12, W&N, home-made falernum, local lime cordial, absinthe, grenadine, Angostura bitters and whatever was in the bottle from the fridge.  Very fine stuff, particularly served in a couple of our tiki mugs, and probably a lot stronger than it tasted but no adverse effects.  Sorry, no photos this time.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Am I the only one still drinking?  Scary thought ...

Last night, the Yacht Club - Genever, maraschino, dry vermouth, absinthe, lemon twist.

I've had some of my own gin (which accidentally turned out closer to a Genever) at navy strength in a small oak barrel since February and it's coming along very nicely.  It's picked up quite a bit of colour from the wood and has smoothed out really well, so it went into this.  A nicely-balanced drink; the gin certainly makes its presence known but the whole thing works very well.  Another one for the Top 10!

• Like 2

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

Last night, the Yacht Club - Genever, maraschino, dry vermouth, absinthe, lemon twist.

I've had some of my own gin (which accidentally turned out closer to a Genever) at navy strength in a small oak barrel since February and it's coming along very nicely.  It's picked up quite a bit of colour from the wood and has smoothed out really well, so it went into this.  A nicely-balanced drink; the gin certainly makes its presence known but the whole thing works very well.  Another one for the Top 10!

No you're not, I can assure you. But apparently you are the only one who has the time or energy to post between drinks.

That Yacht Club looks tasty. I may attempt a variation with St George dry rye gin as I am sans genever at the moment.

I have this character flaw that when I feel stressed, the last thing I want is a drink.  I'll try to do better.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I may attempt a variation with St George dry rye gin as I am sans genever at the moment.

That should work, as I suspect it would with 'normal' gin as well.  Incidentally, or not, I made some genever on purpose last weekend, using some rye vodka from a previous experiment.  Signs are it's turned out well - it certainly smalls delicious - but I'll give it a few weeks to settle down before passing final judgement.  It's going to be rare; I have only 2.3 litres at 80%.  No, I won't be drinking it at that strength!

I have this character flaw that when I feel stressed, the last thing I want is a drink.  I'll try to do better.

I think you may have that backwards.  But yes, work on it.

My eG Foodblog

I wanted to continue the nautical theme with death in the gulf stream.  I really did.  However having nothing that could pass for Holland gin, homemade nor otherwise, I foundered on the beach.  I even trekked out to the store at dusk, but there was no genever on the shelf, and I hiked home empty handed in the dark.

Well, not exactly empty handed.  I replenished my Cointreau (among other staples) and having popped a fresh bottle of W&N I am now enjoying a white mai tai, of which I have become quite fond.

I also discovered (by asking) that my local emporium grants a senior citizen discount.  Duh.  It's not a lot and it wouldn't have saved me more than, say, the cost of a few cases of wine, but still...

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

'Yo ho ho and a bottle of Wray & Nephew' sounds pretty nautical to me.

Discounts are always worth having.  And you've once more proven my Life Rule # 2: if you don't ask, you don't get.

My eG Foodblog

Cynar That Time We Last Drank Manhattans?

2.0oz Cynar

1.5oz Punt e Mes

1.0oz High Rye Bourbon, I used Benchmark by Buffalo Trace

0.5oz Maraschino Luxardo

3 hearty dashes of Bitter Truth chocolate (very full bottle)

Stirred and served on rock.

Actually, I'm not sure if this is even an original recipe and don't really care. Either way, it's a punchy drink that isn't as boozy as you'd think by drinking it.

• Like 2

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Cynar That Time We Last Drank Manhattans?

2.0oz Cynar

1.5oz Punt e Mes

1.0oz High Rye Bourbon, I used Benchmark by Buffalo Trace

0.5oz Maraschino Luxardo

3 hearty dashes of Bitter Truth chocolate (very full bottle)

Stirred and served on rock.

Actually, I'm not sure if this is even an original recipe and don't really care. Either way, it's a punchy drink that isn't as boozy as you'd think by drinking it.

Sounds intriguing although I don't think Benchmark would really qualify as a "high rye" bourbon. It is one of the lowest rye mashbills, maybe the lowest, of any of the major distillers (Benchmark is currently a 3 year old Buffalo Trace #1 mashbill bourbon). If you are looking for a reasonably affordable but good quality bourbon with a good deal more rye content (and age as well) you probably are better served with the basic Four Roses Yellow Label. For truly high rye the Four Roses Single Barrel at 100 proof adds a 35% rye mashbill and more proof and is hard to beat in my book.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Sounds intriguing although I don't think Benchmark would really qualify as a "high rye" bourbon. It is one of the lowest rye mashbills, maybe the lowest, of any of the major distillers (Benchmark is currently a 3 year old Buffalo Trace #1 mashbill bourbon). If you are looking for a reasonably affordable but good quality bourbon with a good deal more rye content (and age as well) you probably are better served with the basic Four Roses Yellow Label. For truly high rye the Four Roses Single Barrel at 100 proof adds a 35% rye mashbill and more proof and is hard to beat in my book

Of course both cost more than Benchmark! But Yellow Label isn't that much more and I think it is a nice, and well worthwhile, step up in quality.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

That looks pretty good, Dan. It reminds me of Jim Meehan's El Puente, another tequila-based drink with mezcal and elderflower, where the grapefruit flavor is contributed by the juice rather than Campari.

A bartender friend, who apparently doesn't know me that well (or knows me too well and is trying to push my buttons, I am not exactly sure...), just gave me a bottle of St Germain. So it is time for me to revisit these elderflower drinks...  

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Sounds intriguing although I don't think Benchmark would really qualify as a "high rye" bourbon. It is one of the lowest rye mashbills, maybe the lowest, of any of the major distillers (Benchmark is currently a 3 year old Buffalo Trace #1 mashbill bourbon). If you are looking for a reasonably affordable but good quality bourbon with a good deal more rye content (and age as well) you probably are better served with the basic Four Roses Yellow Label. For truly high rye the Four Roses Single Barrel at 100 proof adds a 35% rye mashbill and more proof and is hard to beat in my book.

I've been had by my supplier. Oh well, the spice is clearly youth, and mixed I don't mind this.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

I've been had by my supplier. Oh well, the spice is clearly youth, and mixed I don't mind this.

A supplier providing less than accurate information??? Say it ain't so!

:cool:

~tanstaafl2

Dammit, Rafa, you did it again. Laughter in the Dark (Islay Scotch, Cynar, PX).

I get piles of chocolate up front, then the Cynar kicks in and lingers. Lovely stuff.

• Like 2

My eG Foodblog

A drink brought to you by 20th Century RafaTM: Choke Me Like You Love Me. Rye/Cynar/PX with a dash of absinthe. I used the last of my Wild Turkey 101, which is maybe very close to the last of the Wild Turkey 101 that exists outside the confines of random suburban bottle-os. I used Herbsaint. This one ticks all the boxes.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Oh dear, the Mixology Challenge is due in 3 days. Coconuts. Any brilliant ideas?

Thanks for the note--it inspired me to publish my first go at an original cocktail. 

I have to sheepishly admit that it centers on Malibu coconut rum, which I recognize might get me laughed out of eGullet forums. But hear me out. 

The idea is to see if I could get Malibu into a respectable craft cocktail. Starting with the coconut premise, I took it in the direction of Asian cuisine, with ginger, lime, and spicy pepper flavors. I settled on Cynar as a partnering liquor to bring some depth. 

14828122570_52b54e84df_n.jpg

by Craig Eliason, St. Paul, MN (USA)
1 oz Cynar
1 1/2 oz Coconut rum, Malibu
1 Egg white
1/2 oz Ginger syrup
1/2 oz Lime juice
1 pn Cayenne pepper (as garnish)
1 sli Candied ginger (as garnish)

Dry shake, shake, strain into a cocktail glass, garnish with a light dusting of cayenne and piece of candied ginger.

--
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Entered into Mixology Monday LXXXVIII mxmologo.gif hosted by Rated R Cocktails

Feedback welcome!
Edited by Craig E (log)
  • Like 1

Oh dear, the Mixology Challenge is due in 3 days. Coconuts. Any brilliant ideas?

I rehashed this Hibiscus Milk Punch + Coconut Water concoction. There are those that complain about the mouth-feel of both ingredients. Personally, I love the lactic tang of the punch, but coconut water I'm mostly indifferent towards. Here, the tang is somewhat tempered, with the coconut water lengthening the impact of the rum/pisco blend and adding some subtle sweetness.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour