• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)

Since I seem to have been on a Chartreuse kick -- tonight I made a Cappelletti naked and famous:

3/4 oz Cappelletti

3/4 oz Vida

3/4 oz yellow V.E.P.

3/4 oz fresh squeezed lime juice

I like Cappelletti better than I like Aperol in this, even if Aperol is not as hard to spell.  Cappelletti is less sweet.

NakedAndFamous04132015.jpg

Unfortunately the naked and famous is the only reason I have Aperol on hand.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

For some reason I forgot the lime juice in my white mai tai tonight.  I assure you it is not the same without it.  Only then did I notice the carefully measured lime juice on the counter.

I wonder if there is some way to work Chartreuse into a mai tai recipe?

• Like 1

Absinthe is a beautiful accent in Mai Tais—I'm sure a dash or two of Chartreuse would work.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Absinthe is a beautiful accent in Mai Tais—I'm sure a dash or two of Chartreuse would work.

I confess I was being a bit facetious.  However I can report tonight's mai tai tasted a bit strange following the naked and famous.  Cappelletti or no.

Nothing a little M.R. with dinner couldn't fix.

What I did make tonight was a florodora imperial style (Imbibe! p 123).  Please note the bubbles:

FlorodoraImperial04142015.jpg

I did not have the called for well chilled stein so I simply quaffed from the mixing glass.  So easy to make and to go down.  This one is a keeper.

Edit:  rotuts would be proud.

Edit2:  spelling the drink name, duh.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 2

Thanks.  I usually drink, listen to music, and munch on peanuts at the computer.

Besides, the beautiful butcher block on which I like to make serious photographs of drinks is presently covered with forty eight bottles and fourteen cookbooks from the library.

That is the cookbooks from the library, unfortunately not the bottles.

Mixed two Martinis: one Bombay East-powered, the other Gin Mare-powered. I actually ... liked them. D&C specs. Noilly Pratt. The second one, Gin Mare, had Dandelion & Burdock bitters purely because that seemed like a good idea 2.5 ounces of gin into the evening.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Another florodora imperial style!  My mistake last night was replacing the bottle of feste's raspberry gum to the furthest back corner of the refrigerator.  This was before tasting the result.  Tonight I increased the raspberry gum to 1/2 ounce and the PF 1840 to 2 ounces.  Otherwise the same as last night -- except possibly for more bubbles as I didn't pause to try to take a photograph.  Bubbles are good.  I threw in a spent half lime as garnish, as I'm used to finding a spent half lime in my beverages, and, well, I had some.

Interesting that this drink is stirred not shaken, even with all the lime juice?  Anyhow, it works.  In searching on the web, the advice for stirring is not universal.  Furthermore some people specify a straw.

Tomorrow I plan to go out searching for ginger beer to concoct a less imperial florodora.  And, note to self, I must not forget more limes.

Dinner was very rich, and the previously sealed and freshly dated Shoprite sour cream was moldy.  And not a little moldy.  Further the wine which was so wonderful the night I first opened the bottle was now just OK.

I sought for something in my selection that would cleanse my palate.  (And maybe kill off a few organisms along the way.)  I chose Jade 1901 as tonight's digestive.

So pretty!  Possibly I should have poured a smaller glass.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e8/Edgar_Degas_-_In_a_Caf%C3%A9_-_Google_Art_Project_2.jpg/746px-Edgar_Degas_-_In_a_Caf%C3%A9_-_Google_Art_Project_2.jpg

Wikipedia -- public domain

Finally tried Amaro dell'Erborista and Amaro Sibilia last night, both with soda. Finally, Amari that are not too sweet - though the Sibilia is sweeter than the other, i find it VERY well balanced. I liked both, but I think alone with soda, Sibilia wins.

[Host's note: this topic has become too large for our servers to handle efficiently. The discussion continues here: Drinks! 2015 (Part 1).]