• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)

I yuppie, therefore I brunch. Or possibly vice versa.

Sometimes it's nice to go back to the basics. Tonight's drink is a proper 1:1:1 Negroni and it's highly splendid.

Of course I'm using Colonel Hawthorne's barrel-aged navy strength gin, but how much difference could that make? No, sorry - you can't have some. There isn't enough of it.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Sometimes it's nice to go back to the basics. Tonight's drink is a proper 1:1:1 Negroni and it's highly splendid.

Of course I'm using Colonel Hawthorne's barrel-aged navy strength gin, but how much difference could that make? No, sorry - you can't have some. There isn't enough of it.

I did this the other night with Blackwood's 60% abv gin and Punt e Mes. (And Campari, of course.) It was definitely a classic Negroni turned up to 11.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I did this the other night with Blackwood's 60% abv gin and Punt e Mes. (And Campari, of course.) It was definitely a classic Negroni turned up to 11.

Yes, I should have mentioned that mine was also with Punt y Mes.  Lovely stuff.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I'm on my second glass (if one would call this crystal drinking vessel a glass, sorry I have yet to take a picture of it) of Mississippi punch (Imbibe! pp 84,85).  Not sure how Mississippi punch got out of my rotation, except for the fact that I can't spell Mississippi sober.  Now that lemons once again are running generous I've been upping the arrack to an ounce to cut the sugar and the tartness.

Hard to ask for better:

2 oz F&P 1840 Cognac

1 oz S&C

1 oz arrack

juice of 1/2 lemon

1 Tablespoon sugar

In case it is not clear, this is based on the Major Unett version of the recipe.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Finishing up the last of a bottle of Elijah Craig, last night's drink - and tonight's - was a Paper Airplane, or whatever you call the version with Elijah Craig, lemon juice, Campari, and Ramazzotti. Delicious stuff. Now I just need to resupply on some Bourbon. It's a tough life!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Finally got around to makign a Silver Fizz the other night. Stange, how often simple classic like this escape my notice.

2 Oz Gin

1 Oz Lemon Juice

1 tsp Superfine Suger (Turbinado Syrup)

1 Egg White

Top with soda water

It is simple, but it is also damn tasty, and a nice relief from the sticky, stormy, humid weather we have been having. To follow it up, since I still had half of an enormous lemon, I repeated the experiment with cousin drink the Golden Fizz, which substitutes egg yolk for egg white. Very similar, but I think for me the egg white version is superior, both in terms of appearance and texture. The taste is not affected, as is to be expected. 

20140620_201833_zps921ce203.jpg

There is  a ton of drinks here in Sweden called Midsummer. This is my favorite

3 cl  of  honey liqueur or honey rum or Roman/ English mead.

3 fresh strawberries 

1 whole frozen strawberry

sparkly apple wine / Swedish  apple cider.

Mash the  strawberries with honey booze,  strain and  pour into a champagne flute. Top up with sparkly apple wine or Swedish apple cider. Add a frozen strawberry.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

That looks refreshing! What's honey rum - rum made from honey, I guess? Is midsummer a big holiday where you are?

Here's a Dark n' Stormy, matching our weather today in Shanghai. It's made with Nova Scotian rum from Ironworks. It's similar to a Gosling's or a Whalers, per my husband, who drinks more rum than I do.

photo-16.JPG

You can get honey rum from Grand Canaria, it is really lovely.

Yes Midsummar Eve is  THE  family holiday  during summer.  

Edited by CatPoet (log)

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Coming down from zombies I'm assaying a new take on the Knickerbocker:

2 oz Barbancourt 15

1 oz Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao

juice of half a lime (plus a little more)

2 teaspoons raspberry syrup

When Spliflicator says to shake and dump, I shake and dump...at least when I am short on ice.  Alas, a little sweet in my opinion.  I'm still trying to find the ideal rum for a Knickerbocker, but Barbancourt is not bad.

I'd be open for suggestions.

Coming down from zombies I'm assaying a new take on the Knickerbocker:

2 oz Barbancourt 15

1 oz Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao

juice of half a lime (plus a little more)

2 teaspoons raspberry syrup

When Spliflicator says to shake and dump, I shake and dump...at least when I am short on ice.  Alas, a little sweet in my opinion.  I'm still trying to find the ideal rum for a Knickerbocker, but Barbancourt is not bad.

I'd be open for suggestions.

Thanks for the drink suggestion.  I haven't made one of these in quite a while and I picked up some free limes.  I usually use Ron Santiago de Cuba dark.  I cut way back on the raspberry.  About a tsp works for the syrup I use.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I was thinking to cut back on the Curacao and leave the raspberry syrup as it was.  Nobody needs an ounce of Curacao.

Of course after a while all these ounces, milliliters, ponies, tablespoons, wineglasses, drams, dashes, teaspoons tend to run together.

A lot of Malbec for dinner so my digestive tonight is but a simple glass of yellow Chartreuse VEP.  The bottle is worth every penny.  Earlier this evening I made perhaps the best zombie of my career.  A good night overall.

Lately:

Carioca Hawaiian Cocktail (the name of which makes no sense, until I found out the Carioca was a hotel in Puerto Rico):

1 1/2 oz light Puerto Rican rum (Palo Viejo)

1/2 oz lime juice
1 oz pineapple juice (TJ's can)
1 tsp white SS
1 dash Angostura
----
shake, serve up

Pretty good, light and refreshing, though the dasher top on my Ango bottle is no longer reliable and there was probably a solid 1/2 tsp of it in there...

While watching the Germany-Ghana World Cup match, my friend brought over a handle of Seagram's gin and asked me to make something out of it. Not wanting to get up and make several rounds of cocktails, I improvised, making a Don the Beachcomber-inspired mojito/swizzle cross:

In a 12 oz glass:
1 shitload of large mint leaves from my patio
1 reasonable squirt white SS
-----
Muddle
------
1 larger squirt of rather old lemon juice
1 dash absinthe 
3? oz gin (free pouring out of a handle, who knows, but it was a good amount)
add crushed ice
-----
swizzle
-----
top with several dashes of Angostura

If this doesn't already have a name, I'll have to think of one. It was damn good, if I say so myself.

Plus, again since it's a Brazilian Copa Mundial, several Caipirinhas made with Sagatiba cachaça (which really is kind of vodka-y. Perhaps I should try Dillon or La Favorite for the next one...)
Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I could objectively test another mai tai variation.  So I made an aviation.  I've never met an aviation I didn't like.

That looks refreshing! What's honey rum - rum made from honey, I guess? Is midsummer a big holiday where you are?

Here's a Dark n' Stormy, matching our weather today in Shanghai. It's made with Nova Scotian rum from Ironworks. It's similar to a Gosling's or a Whalers, per my husband, who drinks more rum than I do.

Nakji, do they have Jenny Lou's in SH? Here in BJ they carry the honey rum 174 khuai for 700ml

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww55/motlybia/IMG_3771e.jpg

Edited by pto (log)

I wanted to utilize some freshly made cold-brew in a drink last night, this was pretty tasty.

1.5 oz aged rum (I used Chairman's reserve)

.5 oz Smith and Cross

.75 lime

.25 falernum

.25 PF Orange Curacao

.25 oz 2:1 simple (I used 3/8ths of an ounce, that was probably a touch too much)

1/8 oz cold brew

Shake, strain, coupe.

I was surprised the berry notes from the coffee came through even in that small of a quantity.

Finally got around to makign a Silver Fizz the other night. Stange, how often simple classic like this escape my notice.

2 Oz Gin

1 Oz Lemon Juice

1 tsp Superfine Suger (Turbinado Syrup)

1 Egg White

Top with soda water

It is simple, but it is also damn tasty, and a nice relief from the sticky, stormy, humid weather we have been having. To follow it up, since I still had half of an enormous lemon, I repeated the experiment with cousin drink the Golden Fizz, which substitutes egg yolk for egg white. Very similar, but I think for me the egg white version is superior, both in terms of appearance and texture. The taste is not affected, as is to be expected. 

So basically a boozy Tom Collins with egg white?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

An Autumn in Jersey:

3 oz Laird's Bonded

3/4 oz orgeat

1 1/4 oz lemon juice

3 dashes Angostura

In New Jersey summers can be awful, but we know autumn will be coming.