• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)

That time of year.  Autumn in Jersey...while assembling tonight's tarte tatin.  Though I do hope the tarte tatin doesn't suffer too much for it:

3 oz Laird's bonded

3 good dashes Angostura

1 oz fresh squeezed lemon nectar

3/4 oz orgeat

Garnished with spent half lemon, lovely bouquet of mint, green straw.  Must be green straw.

Lemon nectar?

So, hey, in a moment of stupidity ... don't forget to actually squeeze the lime into your Mai Tai. Stirring it into your too-sweet glass of grossness just isn't the same.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Speaking of gym socks, following my mai tai tonight I am enjoying arrack, S&C, and FP 1840.  With the addition of lemon and sugar otherwise known as Mississippi punch.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Old Fashioned variation. Tennessee Old-Fashioned? Maybe. Needs some refining

60 mL Dickel 12/Demerara syrup/couple dashes of Bitter End Memphis BBQ bitters/dash of Angostura (felt wrong to leave it out)/3-5 drops of habanero shrub stirred and dumped into serving glass that'd be rinsed with mezcal (DM Chichicapa). One large ice cube/lemon twist.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Manhattan following the Death & Co rules: Dolin rouge, Punt e Mes, Angostura and Ritt 100. I like it. I like it enough that this is the Manhattan I'll be batching on Saturday for a small-ish gathering.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

If the chimney glasses are big enough why not try a zombie?

For me tonight was a salvo of French 75's.  I read that as originally published the French 75 called for Calvados rather than gin, so that is what I used:  Domaine de Montreuil Reserve.

The first French 75, I went a little wild with the methode rotuts   The Calvados, lemon juice, and syrup got a little lost.  For the second I was more moderate with the bubbly and that one hit the spot.

Here it's 22.7 deg F or -5.2 deg  C, with 15 mile per hour winds or 24 Kilometer per hour winds...tomorrow is forecast to be "much cooler".  Under the circumstances it did not seem appropriate to down a white mai tai, so I made an old fashioned brownish mai tai instead.

• Like 1

Not sure where is the best place to mention this, but PUNCH (which is affiliated with Ten Speed Press) released today their city guides for cocktail bars. San Francisco, LA, Manhattan, London, Paris, etc.

Hopefully a San Diego edition sometime soon? (Although sometimes it's a good thing to stay under the radar.)

• Like 1

Revisiting the Dandy Shim for the Mixology Monday Challenge. This time with rye. Very nice and the Willet 2-year is great in this drink.

Rye Dandy Shim with Dolin sweet vermouth, Willet 2-year rye, lemon juice, cane syrup, St. George absinthe, grated orange zest.

15628946347_0e769bbf51_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Just for fun I stuck my new(ish) thermopen in the mai tai beside me.  It reads 21 which I guess is legal drinking age.  I predict if I try this with a white mai tai I'll measure more of a freezing point depression.

White mai tai at the moment.  The thermopen read 18 (which used to be drinking age, at least where I was born).  I wonder if one can adjust the serving temperature of one's mai tai just by varying the percentage of ethanol?  Can I patent this?  I like mine cold.

Since I mentioned this in another thread:  weeper's joy as my after dinner beverage.  So much like a happy balaklava but better -- thin red line not withstanding and all of that.  Sad apologies for Crimea and the Light Brigade.  My favorite way to address la fee verte in quantity.  If I may say, the twentieth century was a blot on man and woman kind.

Edit:  mai tai excluded...

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)