• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)

IMG_7201.jpg

2 oz Fighting Cock

1/2 oz Cherry brandy(Tsing Tao/ 60 proof)

1 oz lemon juice

1/2 oz simple

2 dash Bittercube Cherry-Vanilla bitter

Nice, rather complex whiskey sour.

• Like 1

Yet another Negroni-template. You just can't go wrong.

1/2 oz Islay

1/2 oz Other Scotch of your choice

1 oz Cynar

1/2 oz Punt e Mes

1/2 oz dry vermouth

1/4 oz Amaro Sibilia (or dell'Erborista)

Expressed lemon peel

Lovely. Sibilia comes through on the end. Lemon on the nose. I thought of sherry in lieu of dry vermouth, but was scared. Maybe I'll be more courageous next time.

• Like 2

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

So is Gold Rush the new name for this?

1 oz Rye, Angel's Envy

3/4 oz Jamaican rum, Appleton V/X

1/4 oz Jamaican rum, Smith & Cross

3/4 oz Lemon juice

3/4 oz Honey Ginger Syrup

And is there a specific recipe for honey ginger syrup or do you just add ginger to a basic 1:1 honey syrup?

Made one of these last night. Quite nice. Went over well with my drinking partner who very much likes ginger and rum. Served with a candied ginger garnish. 

I couldn't figure out what to cook for dinner, so I made a second mai tai.  I may yet fix dinner, or I may not.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Made 2 drinks trying to kill of this bottle of J&B scotch.

First one was a recipe I came across on EG about 8 months ago and copied onto my phone, but hadn't made yet.

I take it all back

2 oz blended scotch

.5 oz elderflower liqueur

1 dash regans orange/fees orange

1 dash whiskey barrel aged bitters

Preceding the recipe, the poster had written "OK, I take it all back. I just made this new old fashioned thing. Oh man oh man."

I don't know the name of this drink, so in my cocktail recipe book, I called it the "I take it all back" and I agree, Oh man oh man!

Second one is from Difford's Guide, French Whisky Sour

2 oz blended scotch

.5 oz Ricard

1 oz lemon juice

.5 oz ss

egg white

3 dashes angostura

IMG_7231.jpg

Pretty good, if a tad sweet

Edited by pto (log)
  • Like 1

An experiment I'm calling the Belfast Negroni but could maybe called the Boyovardier. Equal parts Poitin (Teeling), Campari and Punt e Mes. The ... distinctive smell of moonshine was peeking out from behind the crushed bugs and Punt before I put the glass anywhere near my face so I floated a couple of dashes of Regan's orange bitters on top. You know, if you're the kind of person that likes Negronis made with genever ... this is pretty fucking good. Even if it's the first time I've seriously contemplated a Negroni variation that works on a 1:1:0.75 setup, with the Poitin making up the 0.75.

EDIT

Just pointing out: this thing hits you like a truck full of fuck.

EDIT

No. Seriously.

• Like 2

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Busy two days:

1934 Zombies

10606088_10100317914399161_7102249817608

Aku Aku Lapus

11050295_10100317914389181_3002605907471

Colonial Cocktail from Martin's Index App (man, too much Maraschino, not enough gin...)

11060301_10100317915002951_7576468829047

Unnamed creation of mine: 2 oz coconut water, 1.5 oz Forres Park rum, 3/4 oz lime, 1/2 oz pineapple syrup, shaken and served on the rocks. Delicious.

11069309_10100317914404151_7730719183322

Daiquiri No. 3 from La Floridita

11064644_10100317914409141_7559229552197

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 4

After a long hard rainy day, dinner, and a couple much more than satisfactory mai tais, white and brown -- I'm chewing a simple glass of Chartreux V.E.P.  One could do no better.

Following a very satisfactory Mississippi punch and a less than satisfactory attempt at dinner, barely washed down with some soave (no fault of the soave) -- at least I made room in the refrigerator -- I am enjoying a wineglass of Colonel Edmund Haynes Taylor straight rye.  A good way to spend an hour.  Not a Jerry Thomas wineglass.  My wineglass.

Les' Tolkien to try out one of my latest acquisitions, Ramazzotti. I used Grand Marnier as I didn't own tangelo liqueur. This is nice.

Well done, sir - glad you liked it.  Although I must disavow any claim to 'ownership'.  All we did was provide the inspiration; Gian did the work (he's now in Vancouver, unfortunately for us).

I'd be inclined to go Cointreau rather than Grand Marnier, in the absence of tangelo.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

The amaretto was just what I had on hand, and close enough in spirit to crème de noyaux (an apricot pit-flavored liqueur) to work in a pinch.

The Small Hand orgeat is indeed powerful. But the eau de vie is intense, and the liqueur is no slouch, and together they create a layered flavor in which the orgeat is just one component. To my taste, anyway. You're welcome to experiment. Blume Marillen should be available from any retailer that carries other Haus Alpenz products (e.g. Smith & Cross, van Oosten arrack, Cocchi Americano, etc).

What would you think of Combier abricot in place of the amaretto?

Being in a rye mood, waiting for the snow to come, I'm contemplating upon an after dinner sip of Whistlepig.  As much as I appreciate Colonel Taylor, I have to say I prefer Whistlepig...at least I do tonight.

If I had to choose one bottle to replenish I think it would be Whistlepig.  Fortunately, that is not the case.

What would you think of Combier abricot in place of the amaretto?

Worth a shot (or two).

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Well done, sir - glad you liked it.  Although I must disavow any claim to 'ownership'.  All we did was provide the inspiration; Gian did the work (he's now in Vancouver, unfortunately for us).

I'd be inclined to go Cointreau rather than Grand Marnier, in the absence of tangelo.

Solerno Blood Orange liqueur comes to mind as a possible alternative to the local tangelo liqueur. Have you tried that one before to be able to say if it would work? If not Cointreau or another curacao is always readily available. The Pierre Ferrand perhaps or is that too dry?

• Like 1

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

My ship came in, and a brown mai tai, which following the Glendalouch seemed a little sweet.  One can do far worse.

I have a problem that my mint is wilting and going bad before I can use it up.  Don't know what to do about this.

Solerno Blood Orange liqueur comes to mind as a possible alternative to the local tangelo liqueur. Have you tried that one before to be able to say if it would work? If not Cointreau or another curacao is always readily available. The Pierre Ferrand perhaps or is that too dry?

I suspect the PF would be too dry. The original tangelo, or the equivalent I make, are quite sweet. I made a Tolkien myself last night with some orange liqueur that's close to Cointreau and it was most satisfactory.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Widow's kiss, Kappeler via Imbibe! ...following my customary mai tai, etc.  I knew at the first sip I had neglected the Angostura, so I added it as a float.  I may assay a second kiss, just to get it right.  Mindful that the warning is "the combination if taken in rapidly repeating doses is said to be intoxicating."  I may have to take the chance.  Besides, I have no other way to use up Benedictine.

Improved Whiskey Cocktail: 2 oz Ritt, .25 oz Luxardo Mara, .25 oz simple and three dashes of Angostura bitters stirred/poured over a lonesome ice cube. Absinthe (Grande Absenthe) rinse. Rather pleasant. I reckon it'd be especially pleasant with the beastly Millstone 100 I recently purchased. I mean, if you're going to set out to make a rye whiskey, it doesn't hurt to do a better job than most of the American and Canadian distillers ...

EDIT

Rocking the adverb.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

A work in progress. The Old Main Drag. 1.5 Jameson, .5 Byrrh, .25 Dolin sweet, .75 Campari. It's not balanced. But it's amusing enough that I'll probably go back and tinker with the quantity of whiskey (a full two ounces?) and/or Byrrh.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne