• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)

IMG_7068.jpg

Rum Swizzle - first one with real swizzle stick - Awesome!

1 oz HC7

1 oz Santa Teresa anjeo (to kill it)

1/4 oz Meyers's Dark

1/2 oz Falernum

Lime

2 dashes Ango, 2 dashes Fee's OF

IMG_7084.jpg

3D's&aD

1 1/2 oz La Mauny Rhum Agricole Ambre

1/2 oz Eldorado 5 yr

1/2 oz fresh oj

1/2 oz lime

1/2 oz honey syrup

1/4 oz Bitter Truth Falernum

1/4 oz homemade Allspice Dram (Kevin Liu recipe)

1 dash Ango, 1 dash Tiki bitters

Allspice dram came out a little hot, might have to cut back or dilute it more? Excellent drink though.

• Like 3

Hands of blue, two by two.

Tonight, a most delightful zombie.  But I had to wear nitrile gloves and denim oven mitts to make it.  Thankfully just grenadine, no blood in the beverage this time.  "Hands of blue, two by two" -- should be a drink name...hmmm.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

why the nitrile and denim?

Fashion statement?

Nitrile because of raw wounds from cold-cracked hands that don't work well with fresh lime juice.  The oven mitts to protect from frostbite.  The other night I bled all over my poor zombie.

On the other hand, the blue gloves were rather stylish, even if I eventually chose a magenta straw.  I sure could use another zombie but sadly after more than one I cannot stand...not to mention the prospect of dinner and M.R.

I put away two Zombies last night. By this afternoon I felt the need for a drink I generally despise: a Bloody Mary. I looked at John Currence's recipe, which is meant to be good, but it sounded like a lot of fucking around. So I used the ratios over at Kindred, following a suggestion from the page's comment section to sub the vodka with aquavit. Wise move. I also subbed the lemon for lime and bolstered the Tabasco with some Hellfire. No fresh celery on hand so I used some of my pickled celery and a pickled onion (also my own) as a garnish. On a stick. There's basically no chance of this being a go-to drink, but an aquavit-powered Bloody Mary is a superior beast to the vodka-based classic (assuming you're not using some kind of flavour-infused vodka).

EDIT

Actually, consumed with bacon and eggs or something--maybe even the hot wings I'm going to throw in the oven in a few minutes--one or four of these would be pretty banging. Kind of. Or maybe not. Anyway, I might try a V2 with tequila (50:50 tequila and mezcal, even) in the role of the 'vit. 

• Like 2

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I put away two Zombies last night. By this afternoon I felt the need for a drink I generally despise: a Bloody Mary. I looked at John Currence's recipe, which is meant to be good, but it sounded like a lot of fucking around. So I used the ratios over at Kindred, following a suggestion from the page's comment section to sub the vodka with aquavit. Wise move. I also subbed the lemon for lime and bolstered the Tabasco with some Hellfire. No fresh celery on hand so I used some of my pickled celery and a pickled onion (also my own) as a garnish. On a stick. There's basically no chance of this being a go-to drink, but an aquavit-powered Bloody Mary is a superior beast to the vodka-based classic (assuming you're not using some kind of flavour-infused vodka).

EDIT

Actually, consumed with bacon and eggs or something--maybe even the hot wings I'm going to throw in the oven in a few minutes--one or four of these would be pretty banging. Kind of. Or maybe not. Anyway, I might try a V2 with tequila (50:50 tequila and mezcal, even) in the role of the 'vit. 

After a couple zombies consider a death in the gulfstream...worked for Hemmingway anyhow.

Edit:  after tonight's zombie I had a liter or so of M.R.  If only Hemmingway had lived so long.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Trainspotter Rye, St. Germain, Cherry Heering, Fernet Branca, grapefruit twist.

Wow was this good. I thought from the ingredient list it would be all over the place (spice, elderflower, cherry, menthol, grapefruit) but it held together very nicely. I used Rittenhouse instead of the Dickel specified. That may have helped stand up to the Fernet, which I feared would take over as it often does, but it didn't. A definite keeper.

Dickens Flip Light rum, Cherry Heering, Benedictine, Angostura bitters, syrup, whole egg, orange peel oil, cherry garnish.

This is rather egg-noggy. The creamy egg tempers the bitterness (there's 1/2 oz. Angostura in there). Taste-wise would make a nice winter holiday party drink, but it's rather ingredient- and labor-intensive, so not too easy to churn out in party quantities I'd guess.

M.R. = Mateus rosé?

As much as I used to go through Mateus -- and wouldn't mind a bottle right now -- no.

EDIT

I only drink Bloody Marys when above 25000 ft.  Somehow better aloft. And they never put frigging celery in them up there, so there's that.

As much as I used to go through Mateus -- and wouldn't mind a bottle right now -- no.

Back in the 70s, a friend had a fireplace filled with Mateus bottles plugged with candles.  Might've been a Lancer's rose in the lot too. Very romantic,in an urban grad student kind of way.

Grad school was kind of a blur.  Tonight I wrestled a white mai tai barehanded.  Dinner was raw spinach and the oxalic acid left my teeth (such as I have left) all furry.  So now I am enjoying a wineglass (OK, technically a large water goblet) of Whistlepig,  I don't know why I don't drink this stuff more often.

Edit:  never liked Lancer's as much.

Edit 2:  Now I am nostalgic for Ortlieb's beer at thirty five cents a quart.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Martini & Rossi?

Check the Wine subforum.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Wow was this good. I thought from the ingredient list it would be all over the place (spice, elderflower, cherry, menthol, grapefruit) but it held together very nicely. I used Rittenhouse instead of the Dickel specified. That may have helped stand up to the Fernet, which I feared would take over as it often does, but it didn't. A definite keeper.

churn out in party quantities I'd guess.

Indeed it is good. Thanks for the tip on the Ritt.

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Indeed it is good. Thanks for the tip on the Ritt.

Also very good with Willet 2 yr as I found out a week ago. Great minds etc...

• Like 1

On a recent trip to Las Vegas, we paid a visit to the Downtown Cocktail Room. It was a very nice, friendly little bar, and I'm always amazed at how small the world is when I'm sitting at the bar chatting with the bartender and the other guests.

For our first round, I had an "Oh, Baxter," which was described as containing "Scotch, Mezcal, Sarsaparilla, Stout." As I recall, it was also finished with a grating of nutmeg. It was one of the more successful uses of sarsaparilla flavour in a cocktail that I've ever encountered.

Oh Baxter.jpg

My husband ordered the "Apple of My Eye," with applejack, "holiday spice", maple and "ACV." We had no idea what "ACV" was at first, but as soon as I picked up the glass and put my nose to it, it was evident: apple cider vinegar! Also very tasty.

Apple of My Eye.jpg

For our next round, I ordered off-menu; on FrogPrincesse's suggestion, I tried for a "Cynar That Time We Last Drank Manhattans?" with High West Bourye. The bar was lacking Punt e Mes, but the bartender was undaunted and cobbled together something to try and approximate the flavour. Fortunately, it's hard to go wrong with Cynar + whiskey + herbal liqueurs + maraschino, and the results were very enjoyable.

My husband had a "Dread Pirate Roberts." I didn't write down what was in this one; all I recall for sure is that it was Batavia Arrack-based and had, I believe, mint and club soda in it somewhere. I didn't get around to trying this one (being deep in conversation at the time), but apparently it was quite good.

I was happy that we found good cocktails in Vegas, especially given how difficult it turned out to be to find a good liquor store for bottles to bring home with us!

• Like 2

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

After a large, very mediocre airport Manhattan (poorly proportioned Bulleit bourbon + martini and rossi vermouth), drinking a simple mezcal margarita:

2 oz Bruxo No. 1 mezcal

1 oz lime juice

3/4 oz cointreau

The Bruxo is nice... feel a little bad drinking it in a cocktail since it does so well on its own. Moderately smokey, with a bit of sweetness to it. We usually sip shots on fish taco night instead.

Tried an Ortensia, a Negroni variant with blended Scotch (Famous Grouse), Aperol, and Punt e Mes. 

Tasted chocolatey to me--I would have sworn it had Xocolatl Mole bitters in it, if I hadn't made it myself. Alchemy!

Made this using some of the monster bottle of Balentine's someone gave me, as I figured any of the other scotches I had--all single malts--would clash with the Aperol. Now, I normally fucking hate Aperol, but this is a rather pleasant drink. I see what you mean about the chocolate factor.

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Melbourne