• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)

while I cook:

old fashioned

1 oz. old overholt

1 oz. whiskey re-distilled with pecans

4 g. non-aromatic

4 dashes angostura bitters

the pecans had been sitting in whiskey for quite some time now and was chalked up to a failed experiment because it was so oily. there was also some kind of mystery whiskey thing laying around that someone had left here which I think was chai infused. so I combined them. the pecan aroma is a really nice. this could probably be optimized.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

while I clean the floor:

.75 oz. lime juice

.25 oz. wray & nephews berry hill pimento dram

.50 oz. brandymel limao

2 oz. whiskey re-distilled with pecans

there has been a moratorium on buying new booze around here so I've had to get creative hence salvaging old failed project. pecans in a tart context, who'd have thought that could be so wonderful? this is particularly wonderful.

• Like 1

bostonapothecary.com

Where the HELL did you get the pimento dram??

As punishment, I was sent to Jamaica a couple years ago by my boss to house sit for three weeks. I scoured the island looking for it, and in the end after I finally found it, it turned out to also be available at the airport's duty free for $12. Its really fantastic stuff, so much more elegant than any homemade I've ever had.

• Like 1

bostonapothecary.com

priming myself for a trip to wholefoods in the freezing rain.

1 oz. lime juice

1 oz. benedictine

2 oz. whiskey re-distilled with pecans

2 dashes peychaud's bitters

this is lovely. I haven't made drink with benedictine in years, probably because its not Portugeuse enough. I remember having my first Frisco so many years ago down the street at the B-Side lounge. good times. the pecan-benedictine-tart thing is meant to be.

bostonapothecary.com

As punishment, I was sent to Jamaica a couple years ago by my boss to house sit for three weeks. I scoured the island looking for it, and in the end after I finally found it, it turned out to also be available at the airport's duty free for $12. Its really fantastic stuff, so much more elegant than any homemade I've ever had.

How does it compare to St Elizabeth?

• Like 1

El Nacional

wGohnPWl.jpg

(Forgot the lemon twist 'til after I took the pic.)

Many drinks I've made with the Vida mezcal since I acquired it have made me felt like I'm in over my head, not up to the smokiness. But this I enjoyed, either because of the alchemy of the accompanying ingredients, or maybe my taste is growing in sophistication already.

I don't clean the floor.  But what is "non-aromatic"?

oh geez, that is non-aromatic white sugar. I like white sugar because it doesn't overshadow other aromas, but in Boston bars are in love with Demerara sugar syrups.

I've mopped this floor for years, but its a porous white tile floor. mom is coming tomorrow for dinner so I got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed it with 3M magic erasers.

bostonapothecary.com

How does it compare to St Elizabeth?

oh wow, you know I was wondering that myself. I haven't touched the st. Elizabeths in years because of the price and I wonder if its changed. I think originally it was made with a pot distilled spirit which made it expensive and might have been overkill. I actually might have chosen the first sugar content, because Eric called me up back then to ask how I made my homemade version. but we all didn't know as much back then. Haus Alpenz has really evolved a bit and mastered so many things. I had always wondered how old the pimento dram tradition was and recently I found a reference to it from the 1862 International Exhibition.

bostonapothecary.com

Well. I opened the refrigerator to see whether any food had suddenly manifested in it, and lurking on a shelf below the fish sauce and the packet of yeast was this:

HardSoftDrinkorHousholdCleaner.png

It's been in various refrigerators for several years now, so I decided to give it a go.

This has quite a pleasant bouquet for a household cleaner. The sweetness is rather undimensional and aggressive, so I'm using my standard strategy of drinking this as quickly as possible, to make it go away. Fortunately, this is one of those 250ml mini cans.

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

1 1/2 oz rye

1 oz Malort (Franklin)

1/4 oz Maraschino (Luxardo)

1/2 oz lemon juice (shy)

Luxardo cherry

Would this be a Chicago Sour? I have not had Jeppson's (and missed my chance, since I was just in Chicago). The Franklin version is not particularly harsh.

Edited by EvergreenDan (log)

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I was going to have a daiquiri.

However...pardon the story...yesterday I came home from work to what one might charitably call an overly warm apartment.  So this morning I made sure to turn off the heat before I left.  All well and good but when I got home it felt like I was still outside.  Two hours later it is 63 (17 C) where I am sitting and my toes are numb.

My beverage is a glass of Colonel E.H. Taylor Straight Rye Bottled in Bond.  The Taylor seems to have warmed me up.  I may yet make that daiquiri.

Or perhaps a mai tai.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

'tis the season.

sous vide, oxygen free, hot drinks anyone?

I juiced and quickly de-aerated some honey crisp apples similar to what I did to make the green apple soda way back when. I then used my latest bottling device to transfer the juice from champagne magnum to de-aerated 100 mL and 187 mL bottles. I capped them then started to heat them in a 90C water bath. twice, I cracked a cap to let out pressure then reformed the cap.

eventually I had extra fresh hot apple cider with all the most volatile top notes still intact.

1 oz. asbach uralt german brandy

4 oz. oxygen free, fresh, 90C, organic, honey, crisp apple cider

grated mace.

the mace was really nice but I suspect cinnamon which wasn't at arms reach might be even nicer.

this seems pretty high concept but makes service pretty easy, especially for places that do not do good numbers for hot drinks. you can warm the cups in the water bath and even add botanicals to the water bath so you can fill the room with aroma.

I suspect there are other nice ways to improve this like macerating a little spiced hibiscus tea in the apple juice to tart it up and add color. or, hell, offering six different hot drinks and quickly pulling it off because everything is micro batched and preserved.

bostonapothecary.com

A gin and tonic following an article someone on my Facebook feed linked to. 30mL Gin Mare to 60mL Cascade tonic water. Garnished with the suggested mango peel and black pepper. It's good. Best gin and tonic ever? Eh. It's a gin and tonic. It's, more than maybe anything, a drink of personal preferences re: the garnish, choice of gin and gin-to-tonic ratio.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

by Bobby Heugel, Anvil Bar and Refuge, Houston, Texas

2 oz Reposado Tequila

1 t Maraschino Liqueur

2 ds Bitters, Bittermens Xocolatl Mole

1 ds Bitters, Angostura

1 t Agave syrup

1 twst Lemon peel (as garnish)

Stir, strain, up in a cocktail glass.

Twist the lemon over the drink, rub the rim, and drop it in.

--

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

A very enjoyable drink with Xocolatl Mole bitters, but then aren't they all? 

• Like 1

From the NY Times magazine that I saw today:  tia mia, attribution to Ivy Mix.  Fortunately I had all the spirits.  I substituted feste's orgeat for the Orgeat Works syrup specified.  As stated the recipe was not terribly generous and I deplore a half empty glass.  I omitted the simple entirely but kept the other ratios intact.  This is far too sweet for me, and with the simple it would have been undrinkable.

If I make a tia mia again it will be with my mai tai proportions, eg. less orgeat and less curacao, and probably more lime.  I do like what mezcal brings, but it is a horrid crime to burry it under so much sugar.

Maybe the problem was I didn't have an orchid for the garnish?

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Improved gin cocktail

2 oz. Vice Rei Genebra Superfina gin

4 g. non aromatic white sugar

bar spoon compounded toy curacao

4 dashes angostura bitters

this is nothing amazing but a test of a new project. the gin here is Portugeuse and after finally tasting Spanish Mahon gin last week, I'd say there are really similar. the toy curacao is created from the steam distilled essential oils of my new clevenger apparatus. this is a completely legal process and the instrument is used to measure the oil yield of botanicals. I think dissolved the collected oil from 50 grams of common fresh sweet orange peels into a measure of Industry City Distillery's Technical Reserve 95.6% spirits and then cut that down to about 67% where I had 55 mL of liquid. I then added non aromatic white sugar scaled to be 285 g/L. this all created a very tiny portion of orange liqueur follow the 1879 temple of Joseph Konig.

I'd say its flawed for a few reasons. first only using sweet peels makes it too one dimensional, secondly it doesn't have enough aroma, but atleast I know where its at and where I'll take it next. and thirdly terpene separation was never performed which is a part of most all orange liqueurs. but now I can do terpene separation and change the essential oil content and try so different peels.

If I come up with some best bets for a gin recipe written for oil yields instead of grams of botanicals, I may be able to make really exciting, high quality toy gins, from very unique sourcing.

• Like 1

bostonapothecary.com