• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)

1 1/2 tequila

1/2 oz Mezcal

3/4 oz Ancho Reyes

1/2 oz Angostura amaro (sub a few dashes bitters)

3/4 oz lemon

1/4 oz simple

Next time I'd back off to 1/2 oz Ancho Reys and lemon and skip the simple. Refreshing with a slow burn. Complex. Interesting.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

A Red Hook with Leopold Bros Rye & Maraschino. The baking chocolate note in the rye combined with Punt e Mes is just spectacular.

IMG_20140907_190646.jpg

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

The Bronx cocktail has always been one of those classics I could never get behind, but I figured the more spirit forward a lemon juice balanced Bronx Bomber would suit me more

Bronx Bomber (Link)

1.5 Oz Plymouth Gin (Only have Beefeater at the moment)

0.25 Oz Sweet Vermouth (Punt e Mes)

0.25 Oz Dry Vermouth (Noilly Prat)

0.5 Oz Orange Juice (Si, which is preferable to the quality of oranges in grocery stores at this time of year)

0.25 Oz Lemon Juice

0.25 Oz Simple Syrup

Shake, strain, up, orange twist.

Much better than its more famous cousin. If I were to try again I may up the lemon to half an ounce, but even in this balance these flavors came together quite well.

We're getting ever more addicted to certain Manhattan variants.  Last night, an extremely tasty Greenpoint with Sazerac rye, Punt e Mes, home-made bay liqueur (subs well for yellow Chartreuse) and Angostura.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Just acquired my first bottle of Cherry Heering. Inaugurated it with a Gilroy.

...This was terrific. ...This old Savoy recipe didn't look like anything special when browsing, but I'm very glad I made it. It's a keeper for sure.

Yeah. Much nicer than it has a right to be. Just tried it as you did with Tanqueray Old Tom

• Like 1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

1.5 oz. tanqueray old tom

.5 oz. chestnut flower mead

1 oz. punt y mes

bar spoon algharvinha Portuguese almond liqueur

this was particularly wonderful and is an elaboration of a drink from last week with a different mead. the almond liqueur here, just makes the aromas glow electrically. the Portuguese color their almond liqueurs differently and its very pale relative to the dark coloring of Italian amarettoes and in the drink, positively influences the perception of the aromas. this usage of mead is a little ahead of its time, but soon enough you will read all sorts of really fluffy articles about it citing drinks from restaurants with high paid well connected PR departments. don't be dissuaded, mead, when applied correctly to cocktails can be extraordinary. as a carrier of flavour, mead is a mechanism by which one can cement memories.

• Like 1

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

After (what seems like) a long time without a zombie, I searched through my dwindling grapefruit supply.  I found three more grapefruit clearly rotten.  Of the rest one looked pretty good, and indeed the juice smelled nice and fresh.

I've made my best zombie in a while.  Usual formula, blue straw, lots of mint.  The rums were my current zombie standard:

1 1/2 oz S&C

1 1/2 oz Neisson Reserve Speciale

1 oz Lemon Hart 151

1/2 oz Taylor's Falernum

3/4 oz fresh lime juice

1 teaspoon grenadine

10 ml fresh (more or less, but who's asking questions) white grapefruit juice

5 ml tincture of cinnamon

1 dash Angostura

8 drops Jade 1901

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Made about 200 of these Friday night:

on the world's least ergonomic bar:

10665980_10100222152461851_3223128785483

Very impressive, but did you know that Dead Parrot Consultancy is cheaper than you think?

Make more drinks, have more time for Flappy Birds and score more telephone numbers with help from Butt-Fun Nowhere's premier wanky cocktail bar!

• Like 1

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Very impressive, but did you know that Dead Parrot Consultancy is cheaper than you think?

Make more drinks, have more time for Flappy Birds and score more telephone numbers with help from Butt-Fun Nowhere's premier wanky cocktail bar!

Sadly I have no control over that setup

Wifey was later home than usual last night, so I started construction of a Dante's Requiem for myself - Rittenhouse 100, Punt e Mes, green Chartreuse, bit of Fernet.  That is a magnificent drink - huge, oily, bitter (all of these are good things, in my view).

Of course, she arrived before I'd even started mixing the ingredients, but having had a taste and allowing that she could cope with it, she decided a Red Hook was more what she fancied.  So that was all right, then ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Highland Park 18 and Ardbeg Uigedail in celebration of the preservation of the United Kingdom!

Better Together

Cutty sark

beefeater

Scotch heather honey

Lavender bitters

• Like 2

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Really nice selection.

Can you share with us, how much is your cost per cocktail?

And whilst you're at it, can you let me know your staffing costs and yoy turnover.

• Like 1

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

While eagerly awaiting my Neisson L'Esprit to arrive tomorrow -- for me -- another white mai tai...after all this is International Drink Like a Pirate Day.  Or something like that.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Last night's Manhattan, after a bunch of crazy experimentation for this month's MxMo: The Unknown (due tonight).

Elijah Craig bourbon, Cocchi barolo chinato, Miracle Mile toasted pecan bitters, brandied cherry.

15129902327_3a11cb23aa_z.jpg

Developing recipes for the next Green Zone event. Today we have the brand new:

Fuck ISIS! Punch

165495_767687553295377_49515998896786811

Vimto, WNOP, Lemon, and some other goodies.