• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)

We debated that, for longer than we should.

Then Andrew remembered he lives a long way away and was walking home and I remembered I have fantastic hair.

Edited by Adam George (log)
  • Like 2

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Excuses, excuses.

Here is Rafa's Whiskey Tango Foxtrot with rye and little touches of Fernet and Benedictine, just enough to echo the mint and spices in the rye, and Angostura bitters to tie everything together. I used Willet 5-year rye.

15004159812_69f752922e_z.jpg

I just realized I had tried another tango-themed cocktail by Rafa not so long ago. What's the story I wonder?

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

It takes two, apparently.  You're now there.  I, on the other hand, have to catch up; I haven't had the WTF yet (although for some reason many people say the name of the drink when I'm around ...).

Last night we finished the evening at a very crowded Hawthorn Lounge, where my man Peter made me the most delicious Sazerac using, I believe, Jeffersons Chef's Collaboration bourbon/rye blend.

• Like 2

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

For three nights in a row my drink of choice has been the white mai tai:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/25600-mai-tai-recipes/?p=1975555

I would have to say this is currently my favorite libation, beating out even milk, water, Mississippi punch and zombies.

1 1/2 oz W&N overproof

1 1/2 oz La Favorite Blanc

1/2 oz Cointreau

1 oz fresh lime juice (generous, very generous)

1/2 oz Small Hand orgeat

Garnished with half spent lime and fresh mint.  For the past couple weeks I have been straining onto fresh ice, as this lets me get away with using large rubber maid cubes in the Yukiwa, which are a lot easier to come by, with less danger of running out of ice.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Has everybody seen the documentary Hey Bartender? It came out last year and is now available on Netflix in the US. I thought it was pretty good, with a nice overview of the cocktail community and appearances by Dale DeGroff, Dushan Zaric, Sasha Petraske, Julie Reiner, Jim Meehan, David Wondrich, etc.

Of course it's not perfect and I wished they had spent a little less time focusing on just one bartender (Employees Only Steve Schneider), and maybe done a better job at representing the West Coast. The parts with Steve Carpentieri and his neighborhood bar seemed a little forced, especially his visit at TOTC which was clearly arranged for the documentary. But overall, it's completely worth watching.

You are welcome!

It's pretty hot in San Diego still, about 27C during the day, so I wanted something refreshing tonight. I made myself a Gin Fix with Dorothy Parker gin. I am sure the pool will get plenty of use this weekend. Happy Labor Day weekend everyone!

15075302301_7461a8c508_z.jpg

• Like 3

It's bloody cool (not that I'm complaining) in the evenings here, and while I want to make mojitos and daiquiris and swizzles, it's just not hot enough to justify it.

Lovely strawberry garnish!

The art of the pousse-café is still very much alive in Japan.

And it's not just Japan. During the World Cup, I remember seeing a series of flag-inspired pousse-cafés by Hawksmoor + Satan's Whiskers in London. It was all in good fun.

The real question is not who makes pousse-cafés, it's who orders them!

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Doing our bit for a worthy cause.

Andrew and I made a monstrous drink for our Ice Bucket Challenge.

You should have done the thrown cocktail demo for Diffords. They just posted one and it could use some improvement.

His technique might be fine, but I don't want to have to see the bartender's underarm tattoos (at first I thought he was incredibly hairy), or his fat and hairy belly, when he is throwing the cocktail. It's a huge distraction. 

• Like 1

Steve Schneider's Steve-O's Tuxedo, a twist on the classic White Lady, with simple syrup and a dash of Regan's orange bitters replacing the Cointreau. It's good. Not sure why, but it had a very pale green tinge underneath the white foam.

14902466938_fb2f6b020b_z.jpg