• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pangrammatic cocktail recipes

Craig E

Making cocktails is one hobby I have. Another is writing pangrams, which are phrases that include every letter of the alphabet (like "The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog.") I've actually published a new original pangram every weekday for many years on my admittedly absurd Daily Pangram blog.

These hobbies collided recently when I decided to see if I could write cocktail recipes that were themselves pangrams. I thought you all might get a kick out of the results. Here's the list, which actually starts with a viable recipe but quickly goes south from there:

• Good drink, FYI: just mix up twelve oz. each: limeade, tequila, water, & beer.
  • "Happy Kid": a jigger of aqua vitae, six oz. club soda, lemon twist.
  • Mix gin & strawberry juice. Freeze overnight. Drink up quickly.
  • Mexican tequila, just a dash of key lime bitters, fizzy water. Serve straight up.
  • Galaxy Brew: 1 oz. vodka, 1 oz. tequila, a half-teaspoon lemon juice.
  • "Execrable Cocktail": two oz. ea. OJ, Plymouth gin,Veuve Clicquot, and Fresca.
  • Down a jigger of Sauza tequila, body-check the next person who moves.
  • My version of "Sex on the Beach": 2 oz. tequila, Mtn Dew, pickle juice. No garnish.
  • A gin fizz, w/ tequila, served in a mop bucket: "The Sexy Janitor."
  • Muddle six breakfast patties with soju, freeze in liquid NO2, anchovy garnish.
Edited by Craig E (log)

If I get to supply the mop bucket, could be swayed to go up to nine.

• Like 1

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour