• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Duels

Lisa Shock

Looks like Bravo has a new addition to the Top Chef franchise: Duels, starting August 6. I'm torn about this one, it could be fun seeing previous TC contestants going one-on-one. Or the challenge rules could be so restrictive and convoluted that there won't be much for the chef's to do. I'm also wondering how much they're ripping off 'Knife Fight.'

Gail Simmons mentioned this new show in a radio interview she gave to promote "Top Chef: Boston".

Again, I question her value as a judge on this show since she is a vegetarian and won't be able to eat a lot of the dishes that will be prepared by the "chef-testants".

Though I think I may tune in for the first show, at least, since it's going to be a duel between Richard Blais & Marcel Nigneron.

Click here for a list of the dueling chefs on the show (scroll to the bottom of the article).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...

I thought the Blais/Vigneron matchup was a nice way to start, but after watching it, it seems clear that they didn't think this through.

I really had high hopes for this format since it would seem to afford an opportunity to zoom in on what was happening with only two contestants.  Unfortunately, they chose to focus on the verbal interactions of two non-entertainer personalities.

It's almost as if they thought sparks would fly between Richard and Marcel.  Unfortunately(?), neither is exactly a 'trash talker'.

My favorite parts of Top Chef: Regular are when Collichio walks into the kitchen and starts asking pointed questions.  Unfortunately, there was no television professional on screen at any point, or anyone capable of asking a relevant question.  It was just a Richard/Marcel bro-uppance.

Episode 102 (with even weaker characters), I found to be unwatchable.

I do hope that some of the later episodes will be better, because I do think that the TC empire has occasionally demonstrated that they can learn from mistakes.

• Like 1

I floved the Antonia vs. her cousin Mike duel. Such a dichotomy of Italian food! Where Mike would put a new spin on a classic Italian dish, Antonia stood tried and true to classic Italian.  I also liked that their verbal jabs to each other were good-natured and not so much "macho posturing" (like the next episode is likely to have). 

Did anyone else see the episode?

edited for clarification

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

I am so happy to put the CJ Jacobson vs. Stefan Richter duel behind me. Stefan just spewed hatred with every word. It didn't even seem like good-natured ribbing...it was just so dismissive of CJ.

The David Burke vs Takashi Yagihashi duel was fascinating. Andrew Zimmern was the guest judge and determined that the final duel would involve three unusual ingredients, one of which was armadillo.  :shock:

Uhm...do you think anyone on the show had heard about the relationship between armadillos and leprosy in humans? I'm taking that as a "No".

I was happy when that duel was finished. Just because Andrew eats that crap on his show doesn't mean I want to see it on this show. 

Tim Oliver

The Tiffani-Dale duel was good. They were competitive and it was good-natured. 

The guest judges for the final dinner were metal rockers, including Rob Zombie, who is a vegan. So all of the dishes had to be vegan (don't even get me started on that subject).

When it came to eating Tiffani's dessert, Rob said he wouldn't even try it because he doesn't like to eat "soft desserts".   :blink:  WTF? 

Tim Oliver