• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pineapple! June 2014 MxMo LXXXVI theme.

Hi folks!

Let's bring the king of fruits back! After being canned, mixed with all sorts of sugary liquids and blended into guilty pleasures not to be named some 80s dreadful cocktails, the pineapple needs more respect!

Once a symbol of hospitality, the King of fruits might be know misunderstood. One of the greatest non-citrus souring agents, used for crazy garnish ideas, infusions, old gum syrup flavoring, the pineapple is a fruit to be reckoned.

Get creative and make a cocktail using any part of this delicious, juicy fruit or share you favorite pineapple cocktail with us!

Got interested? Join me in this awesome cocktail party!
Here's the link to the announcement post

Saúde!

Step one in the link needs to be updated: "nuts of any kind" -> "pineapple".

You say in your post that pineapple is one of the greatest non-citrus souring agents. I find this interesting because I don't find today's supermarket pineapple to be sour. When ripe (and any good), they are very sweet. Are you saying that todays pineapples are much sweeter than the pineapples used in historic recipes? If so, then they would need reformulation for today's fruit (much like when using pink grapefruit for the sour white grapefruit of my youth).

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

• 2 weeks later...

Step one in the link needs to be updated: "nuts of any kind" -> "pineapple".

You say in your post that pineapple is one of the greatest non-citrus souring agents. I find this interesting because I don't find today's supermarket pineapple to be sour. When ripe (and any good), they are very sweet. Are you saying that todays pineapples are much sweeter than the pineapples used in historic recipes? If so, then they would need reformulation for today's fruit (much like when using pink grapefruit for the sour white grapefruit of my youth).

I got misunderstood here...

The pineapple has an acidic bite that is a great souring agent, although it also has its sweetness. Balance accordingly!

Are you joining us, Dan?

A lot of the pineapples today are extra sweet varieties.  I think this started with the Del Monte "Gold" about 10 or 15 years ago.  But there may have been a trend to sweeter pineapple even before they came up with those.  My understanding is that you can propagate pineapple fairly easily from the tops so it is pretty much impossible for one company to keep their varieties to themselves.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.