• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dashi

Kikujiro

Lukewarm water. Few handfuls of bonito shavings. Kombu. Let soak for an hour. Strain.

Or: Water, few handfuls of bonto, kombu. Bring to simmer. Remove from heat. Strain.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Sure. As a base for miso shiru, most Japanese soups.

The bonito and kombu can be re-used for a less subtle soup. You can even freeze for later use. Bring it to a boil, if you want. It doesn't matter. This can be used in Chinese style soups or in sauces that have a lot of flavours. You can also poach fish in it.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

wish I could but haven't found the ingredients yet! Have a lead on a small Japanese grocery in the area and as soon as my car is released from ICU will check it out.

While we are on the subject, I had miso soup at an up-market Japanese restaurant and it was soooo good. Clear soup served in small bowls but very, very tasty. Any recipes? I think the base is dashi but could be wrong.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, if it was clear it sounds like osuimono, a very light miso shiru. Yes, it contains dashi. You can also make osuimono without miso.

edit:

Recipe? Hm. Make dashi. About three or four parts dashi to one half part white miso paste. I put the paste in a strainer, lower it into the soup, and whisk it in. The dashi should never boil.

nsm, do you ever add a dusting of bonito flakes to your okonomiyaki as a final garnish? The heat makes them tremble and wave. Very interesting.

Thanks. Any simple uses?

mix it with egg and make some chawanmushi. the proportions vary (can't remember off the top of my head... something like 2:1 stock:beaten egg). chuck in some goodies eg bits of prawn &tc and whack in water bath in oven til set

perfect for any hungry cabralesians who come snacking

j

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Yup. But I think your proportions are a bit off. For three eggs, use about a half cup of dashi. You can add a bit of shoyu too but not so much as to discolour. Mix well, place shrimp or crab meat or such in a ramekin or bowl, pour mixture overtop. You can float some shitake slices on top. Steam for about 12 to 15 minutes.

Kiku-chan, I don't know what brands there are there. But don't buy Chinese. Korean brands are better, Japanese better yet. Dark and covered with much white stuff (natural msg). Not brittle, not rubbery.

Get good bonito. No powdered stuff.

Good luck.

Thanks. I don't know what brands there are here either but will report back.

Tangentially, I've noticed that the organic supermarkets over here (a growing sector) carry a disproportionate number of Japanese ingredients. I don't know if this is a reaction to the fact that a lot of Japanese stuff available otherwise is GM, which is a big no-no for many people here.

I trust foods labelled "organic" to be so only if it is in fact an organ I'm buying.

nsm, do you ever add a dusting of bonito flakes to your okonomiyaki as a final garnish? The heat makes them tremble and wave. Very interesting.

Yep, the little buggers squirm like they're alive - cooool. On top of the okonomi sauce and kewpie mayo, of course.

Thanks. I don't know what brands there are here either but will report back.

Well, I got a brand called Hime, allegedly produced in Japan, at the Japanese store in Soho. £3.70 for 85g.

Ten minutes later I saw the exact same product in Chinatown for £1.59.

This annoyed me.

Yep, the little buggers squirm like they're alive - cooool. On top of the okonomi sauce and kewpie mayo, of course.

Oh I am starting to drool!!

Don't forget a nice heap of benishoga (slivered pickled ginger usually a very deep dark fake pink color).

I also sprinkle bonito flakes on yakiudon. Stirfry some meat and/or veggies toss in some boiled udon noodles and a splash of soy sauce, throw onto a plate and throw on a handful of bonito.

Dashi has hundreds of uses, I use it mainly for simmering veggies in usually with a little sugar added, and also in dashimakitamago (sweet egg omelette with dashi).

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"