• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 3)

Crazy Berry Yogurt is coming to Broadway and Olive.

Crazyberry’s concept is to provide pure and simple, all natural non-fat desert without preservative and additives for well being.

I think this is probably a clone of the famous Pinkberry. If it's a good clone, that could be exciting.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

• 1 month later...
Here's a link to what's cooking this summer at The Art of the Table. I'm intrigued as to an August meal "Soup, salad, & a Sandwich." Since each meal is $48, I hope the sandwich is a Kobe French Dip.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

• 2 weeks later...

Did you all see this? Not exactly a coming or going...but an expansion is on the horizon for Green Leaf. They nabbed the lease over them and are working on plans for additional dining space. And since they've also been doing a ton of catering lately, the upstairs might end up being a great space for groups...

Here's the scoop:

http://www.seattleweekly.com/food/blogs/vo...eaf_unfurls.php

Traca

Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy

Uh oh, on Rainier Ave., near Orcas (Hillman City, just south of Columbia City), there used to be "Bamboo" - a tiny Vietnamese place that also made ice cream and beignets. Paper sign covering the windows says "South Side Bakery, coming soon.

Two new places near Greenlake on Aurora: One, a Thai restaurant on the corner of 79th and Aurora (west side of the street), and just a couple doors south, a Mexican place that looks like it could be good. It's called Barriga Llena ("full stomach") and it's at 7815 Aurora Ave N, 782-1220. They are going to open on Friday, the owner said. It's small and doesn't look like it will be the usual tex-mex-it looks more like a littel taqueria-so I am hopeful.

Also welcome to the Phinney farmer's market, in the lower parking lot of the Phinney Center, Fridays 3-7. It's smaller than Ballard or the U District, but has a lot of great vendors: La Pasta, Estrella Creamery, Woodring Orchards, the crepe people, the wood fired oven people, a new oyster/clam vendor I'm not familiar with, lots of berries, flowers and veggies...there is parking in both lots but it fills up quick.

Also I poked my head in the little Mexican place I mentioned above and the owner gave me a menu-it looks like it's a torta place, and they have everything from head cheese to steak tortas.

Edited by kiliki (log)

Also welcome to the Phinney farmer's market, in the lower parking lot of the Phinney Center, Fridays 3-7. It's smaller than Ballard or the U District, but has a lot of great vendors: La Pasta, Estrella Creamery, Woodring Orchards, the crepe people, the wood fired oven people, a new oyster/clam vendor I'm not familiar with, lots of berries, flowers and veggies...there is parking in both lots but it fills up quick.

Also I poked my head in the little Mexican place I mentioned above and the owner gave me a menu-it looks like it's a torta place, and they have everything from head cheese to steak tortas.

I've gone to the market 2 out of the last 3 weeks. I love the fresh fruit/veggie stands (wish there were more veggies, though...can hardly wait for the fresh corn!). The cherries (especially the Rainiers) and strawberries have been spectacular. I try to get there before 4 p.m. when it's not crowded, although for exercise, I park down the street and hike into the market rather than park in the Phinney Community Center parking lots. The guy selling honey has some bottles of pretty nice stuff too...bought a jar (I think 1 lb. of apple blossom honey for $8). Was talking with him about the "bee dieoff" problem the world is experiencing. He said they've lost about 80% of the bees, which means many of the crops that need bees for pollination are going to be hard to come by very soon, which is ironic because now everybody wants to eat organic, but the yield from many crops is dwindling because of the lack of bees.

Miulang

Edited by miulang (log)

Just heard that Dandelion in Ballard is closing at the end of the week. Can anybody confirm? If so, it's a shame. It's been one of our neighborhood favorites.

Interesting timing with the recent closure of Ebb & Flow in Wallingford, too. Wonder if a decent quality neighborhood restaurant of that size just doesn't work these days.

dlight

Seattle, WA

Just heard that Dandelion in Ballard is closing at the end of the week.  Can anybody confirm?  If so, it's a shame.  It's been one of our neighborhood favorites. 

Interesting timing with the recent closure of Ebb & Flow in Wallingford, too.  Wonder if a decent quality neighborhood restaurant of that size just doesn't work these days.

hadn't heard this but I do know that one of the owners has MS or a similarly disabilitating disease. I hope this doesn't mean things have turned worse for her.

Just heard that Dandelion in Ballard is closing at the end of the week.  Can anybody confirm?  If so, it's a shame.  It's been one of our neighborhood favorites. 

Interesting timing with the recent closure of Ebb & Flow in Wallingford, too.  Wonder if a decent quality neighborhood restaurant of that size just doesn't work these days.

hadn't heard this but I do know that one of the owners has MS or a similarly disabilitating disease. I hope this doesn't mean things have turned worse for her.

From yesterday's Taste of the Town in the Times:

On a sad note, Dandelion (5809 24th Ave. N.W., 206-708-8088), the beloved Ballard bistro that was the longtime dream of chef Carol Nockold, will close Sunday, says owner Connie Palmore, who co-founded the sunny little cafe with Nockold in 2004. Closing Dandelion is "a bittersweet, emotional thing to do," says Palmore, a former systems analyst for Starbucks. "But it's time."

A year after opening Dandelion, Palmore's life and business partner was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease. Nockold continued to run her "dream restaurant," with the help of chef Kristy Scott, as the progressively degenerative disease took its toll. Nockold died in December and Palmore has run the place with Scott's assistance since.

"Kristy and I have had an amazing post-Carol experience," Palmore says. "We've tried to stay true to what Carol would have wanted, but neither one of us is Carol."

She expects to turn the keys over to new owner Jeff Birkner mid-July, and says that Birkner plans to re-open as an upscale Tex-Mex cafe and bar.

Sad.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

A couple hours ago Nancy Leson called me (to ask my permission to use my name in an upcoming article) because I asked a question on the status of Ebb & Flow.

She told me that the proprietor came to the realization that the space is too small to turn a profit. They were leasing space from the guys at Chow Foods, who came to the same realization when they operated the Beeliner Diner.

They are going to put up the building for sale.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

From yesterday's Taste of the Town in the Times:

On a sad note, Dandelion (5809 24th Ave. N.W., 206-708-8088), the beloved Ballard bistro that was the longtime dream of chef Carol Nockold, will close Sunday, says owner Connie Palmore, who co-founded the sunny little cafe with Nockold in 2004. Closing Dandelion is "a bittersweet, emotional thing to do," says Palmore, a former systems analyst for Starbucks. "But it's time."

A year after opening Dandelion, Palmore's life and business partner was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease. Nockold continued to run her "dream restaurant," with the help of chef Kristy Scott, as the progressively degenerative disease took its toll. Nockold died in December and Palmore has run the place with Scott's assistance since.

"Kristy and I have had an amazing post-Carol experience," Palmore says. "We've tried to stay true to what Carol would have wanted, but neither one of us is Carol."

She expects to turn the keys over to new owner Jeff Birkner mid-July, and says that Birkner plans to re-open as an upscale Tex-Mex cafe and bar.

Sad.

very sad- now I do remember it was Lou Gehrig's- I hadn't heard that she had passed away though

Is anyone aware of a newish Tibetan restaurant along 15th in the U-District? I'm trying to track it down based on a tip from a friend, but no luck with a name or exact address so far.

Do you mean the Ave? I don't think there are any restaurants on 15th, at least not until the Pizza hut on 65th.

PS: I am a guy.

Yes, I was wondering about that too since I never noticed any restaurants along 15th either. Either I misheard, or my original source misspoke. It turns out to be a place called Tibet First and it's apparently on 12th a bit north of 47th.

The only information I've found so far, other from a quick conversation with the owner after tracking down the address, is on Yelp.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/wiLgJvVRdINSc19L27_0PQ

Is anyone aware of a newish Tibetan restaurant along 15th in the U-District? I'm trying to track it down based on a tip from a friend, but no luck with a name or exact address so far.

Do you mean the Ave? I don't think there are any restaurants on 15th, at least not until the Pizza hut on 65th.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please