• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 3)

The pasta vendor at the U District Market-La Pasta-is opening a deli/cafe at 9118 35th Ave NE this week (Wedgewood). They'll have salumi, panini, soups, espresso, to go meals, and the fabulous fresh pastas (I love the ravioli, always filled with seasonal stuff) they sell at the Market.

the Capitol Grill. I really hate to see our downtown get this chain steak house

I remember reading somewhere that they were touting the "fresh Atlantic salmon" that would be a feature here. !!!

Edited by kiliki (log)

The pasta vendor at the U District Market-La Pasta-is opening a deli/cafe at 9118 35th Ave NE this week (Wedgewood). They'll have salumi, panini, soups, espresso, to go meals, and the fabulous fresh pastas (I love the ravioli, always filled with seasonal stuff) they sell at the Market.

Fabulous! I drive by there just about every day and was wondering what's going in there. Sounds like a really nice addition to the Wedgwood neighborhood.

SusieQ

I went to the pre-opening party at Opal on the top of Queen Anne last night. 

Nice write-up cburnsi. Tell me about the chefs there, where were they before?

I understand that it is Tyler Anderson formerly of The Rainier Club and Andrew Leonard in the kitchen. I ordered the tenderloin there over the weekend and although I didn't taste the flavors of France, Burma or Morocco it was perfectly done.

cburnsi

I spoke with the owners of Entre Nous a day or so after their opening. A nice couple, husband as chef, wife doing the business side I believe. I don't recall where the chef worked before, but the menu is simple takes on French food; things he likes to make for himself. As an example, one of the lunch items is basically a nicoise salad on a baguette. Lots of other baguette sandwiches, streak frites, and fondue. I didn't try anything because they weren't actually open when I spoke to them -- it was Easter Sunday... and a friend and I got caught peering into the window and invited in. They've really done a fabulous job transforming the space... it's got a French bistro feeling without a hint of the former Mamacita's.

on the corner of 4th and University I see that the Capitol Grill. I really hate to see our downtown get  this chain steak house that I see in every big US city that I travel to. I also wonder how Seattle can support another steak house- Met, El Gaucho, Ruth Chris', Mortons..... Anyway that corner seemes very sad to me with it's big Purple Cafe on one corner and now Capitol Grill going in across the street.........

I was hoping for a Sizzler

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

What happened to Gordito's on the top of Queen Anne?

It was there one day and the next it wasn't.

They closed that one down but opened up another branch in Everett (1909 Hewitt Ave) in the space that used to be Bobby's Hawaiian Restaurant (which moved down the street into larger digs). It's across the street from the Everett Convention Ctr.

Miulang

XO Bistro on 10th Ave E is closed (may have been closed for a while, I just noticed it the other day). That block is rather desolate since the small grocery is also closed. I think it would be a great location for a family-friendly restaurant--there are a ton of kids and at least three schools in the near vicinity.

Some great stuff (brunch menu!) on the Matt's in the Market blog. I am looking forward to the re-opening.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

XO Bistro on 10th Ave E is closed...

Can't say I'm surprised. The one time I went there it was pretty bad, and given the other French bistro options in town, I couldn't see going back. Hard to believe the guys from Maximilien didn't offer a better product. Other than Cassis, that space has been cursed, and even Cassis ended badly.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

XO Bistro on 10th Ave E is closed (may have been closed for a while, I just noticed it the other day). That block is rather desolate since the small grocery is also closed. I think it would be a great location for a family-friendly restaurant--there are a ton of kids and at least three schools in the near vicinity.

Some great stuff (brunch menu!) on the Matt's in the Market blog. I am looking forward to the re-opening.

ugh- I also ate their only once and really wish I hadn't, horrible!

XO Bistro has been closed for a couple of months... actually it's for sale if anyone is interested. I ate there once and thought it was good. It had the same owners as Maximilien in the Market.

LMF, are you sure you're not thinking of The Cellar Bistro, located in the same building as XO, around back? That place is the WORST, weirdest Italian restaurant I've ever eaten at. I can't believe it's still open.

XO Bistro has been closed for a couple of months...  actually it's for sale if anyone is interested.  I ate there once and thought it was good.  It had the same owners as Maximilien in the Market. 

LMF, are you sure you're not thinking of The Cellar Bistro, located in the same building as XO, around back?  That place is the WORST, weirdest Italian restaurant I've ever eaten at.  I can't believe it's still open.

:laugh: no in fact our meal was so bad at XO that on our way out to our cars we spotted Cellar and went in and had a few glasses of wine to shake the bad experience!

If they're going to use the term 'gastropub', I hope they take the time to go to the UK and understand what its really all about. Otherwise we're going to end up with either another seasonal/local place or an Anglified French bistro.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

If they're going to use the term 'gastropub', I hope they take the time to go to the UK and understand what its really all about.  Otherwise we're going to end up with either another seasonal/local place or an Anglified French bistro.

cheers to that!

Like Black Bottle didn't... cough, cough -- although now they're a gastro-tavern??

I'm wondering if I should start a thread "Guess where they didn't put a restaurant".

The corner of 45th & Stone Way, across the street from the former Beso de Sol, where even a Tully's would be welcome, they are opening a tanning salon. :angry:

Edited by elswinger (log)

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Does anyone know what is going in to the old "Q" space on Queen Anne? I noticed a liquor license in the window yesterday but as I was driving (and there was no place to park) I couldn't check it out.

cburnsi