• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 3)

Drove by Poppy's this morning. Has it opened? The tables are set with glassware, etc. It looks close if it hasn't opened yet.

The Dude & I went to Poppy last night. In a word - fabulous. For having been open to the public less than a week, there was lots to like and remarkably little to quibble over. The space is lovely - modern but still warm, and whoever designed it figured out that a room full of hard surfaces demands some acoustic accommodation. Service is attentive and the food itself shows that Jerry Traunfeld hasn't lost a step since he left the Herbfarm. A continued focus on herbs and spices coupled with spot-on execution seems like a can't-miss combination. The price point is reasonable, given the level of quality - we tallied up at about $80 per (after tax + tip), which included a cocktail, wine flight, starter, thali and dessert for each of us. Well worth it, IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

We ate at the new Preservation Kitchen in Bothell last night. I believe it opened in September, but I hadn't seen a mention of it yet here.

http://www.preservationkitchen.com/

Food was good. Better than good actually, I was really impressed, especially considering it's in Bothell (I can say that, I live here!). I was with a group that's not terribly adventerous when it comes to food, and everyone had a lot of things on the menu to choose from. The space is very nice, in what appears to be an old farm house. There's lots of fireplaces, and the way the dining areas are set up, it's very intimate. Free valet parking, which is a good thing, because the lot is TINY.

A couple of highlights:

Polenta Tots: I love polenta, and these were delicious. Crispy and salty on the outside, bery soft and creamy on the inside. The dipping sauce was not a favorite of mine, but they were good enough on their own

Pulled pork sliders: You could easily go to the bar and make a meal of these with a couple of drinks and another starter or two.

Wild Boar Ragu: I did not try this, but my husband, who is VERY picky, especially when it comes to pasta, inhaled it. We've eaten at the Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco in Florence, and he said this could have easily been on the menu there.

Butternut Squash Bread Pudding: I'm a sucker for bread pudding, and I love squash, so I went out on a limb here ( :raz: ) Very much a sum of its parts. All of the flavors worked well together, and it was a very satisfing dessert.

Anyway, it's nice to have a slightly more upscale place up here, without having to spend oodles of money. It was certainly as enjoyable of a meal as Barking Frog or Cafe Juanita, just with slightly less refined food and a lot less expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

From a press release I received this morning:

Joint Venture for Linda Derschang and Chef Ericka Burke

Oddfellows cafe & bar to Open on Capitol Hill

SEATTLE, November 6, 2008 – Newly renovated, the historic 1908 Oddfellows Building on Capitol Hill will be home to a joint venture between well-known restaurateur/bar maven, Linda Derschang and chef Ericka Burke of the beloved Volunteer Park Cafe.  Slated to open mid-December, Oddfellows cafe & bar will be the quintessential neighborhood hangout in this booming urban area known as the Pike Pine Triangle.

“I’ve had a strong attachment to the Pike/Pine neighborhood for over 15 years,” says Derschang. “I really felt that a cafe like Oddfellows is what the neighborhood was missing.”

“The goal is to create a place where people feel comfortable,” says Burke.  “Where they feel like they are part of this vibrant community.”

“A home away from home,” says Derschang, “that’s the ultimate goal.”

Oddfellows cafe & bar will occupy the ground floor space at 1525 10th Avenue between Pike and Pine.  This 2500 square foot space boasts 18-foot coffered ceilings, well-worn dance studio floors, exposed brick walls, an enclosed patio, and large east-facing windows that open to the street. 

“The enclosed patio was a great surprise,” says Burke, “with brick walls climbing up a few stories, it’s very urban, very New York.”

“And we’re going to make it super charming,” says Derschang, “string some little white lights, have lots of candles, get some heaters for the cold months.  It’ll be totally enchanting.”

Dovetail General Contractors, who specializes in renovations, is doing the build out of the space and keeping much of the early 1900s charm intact. Derschang and Burke are collaborating on the design aspect, along with Sterling Voss of Atlas Woodworking.  The interior will feature vintage industrial lights, salvaged wood shelves, a marble topped bar, vintage bar stools, farmhouse tables and benches, church pews salvaged from St. Joseph on Capitol Hill, and an open kitchen.

When asked about her signature taxidermy, so prominent in her other venues, Derschage says that she doesn’t think Oddfellows will have any, but you never know.

Oddfellows cafe & bar will be open daily from 7am to 12am, and until 2am on Friday and Saturday.  Following the successful model of Volunteer Park Cafe, this 80-plus seat cafe will offer a selection of housemade pastries and a light breakfast menu in the mornings that includes a Bacon Cheddar Scone with Green Onion ($2.50), Peach Muffin with Streusel Topping ($2.50), Hammers, a Swiss Cheese Scone with a Ham Center ($2.75), Homemade Oatmeal with Brown Sugar & Cream ($5), a Breakfast Panini, Poached Eggs, Bacon, Tomato, Smoked Cheddar, & Gruyere ($7), Mascarpone & Pear stuffed Brioche French Toast ($8), and a Dutch Oven Frittata & Salad ($6). 

Beginning at 11am and available until closing, the cafe will offer a selection of sandwiches and hearty salads that can be ordered at the counter to eat in-house or grabbed to go. Look for items like, a Three Cheese & Onion Jam Panini ($6), a Braised Pulled Pork Sandwich ($8), French Dip Sandwich, Roast Beef with Horseradish & Au Jus ($9), a PB & J Panini ($5), Chicken Panzanella with Arugula, Bacon, Avocado, Tomato & Blue Cheese ($9), Roasted Beets & Apple with Chevre, Hazelnuts & Greens ($8), and Baby Spinach with Faro, Roasted Winter Squash, Garbanzo Bean & Tahini Dressing ($8).

Table service will begin at 5pm and include a seasonal menu of simple, rustic dishes and daily specials such as, a Cheese Plate with Nuts, Fruit & Crostini ($10), Pate with Crostini ($8), The Cutting Board, Cured Meats with Mustard ($12), Mac & Cheese ($5), Crispy Pork Nuggets ($5), Braised Pork Shank with French Lentils & Creamed Cabbage ($15), Steak with Blue Cheese, Braised Onion & Arugula ($14), Beef Stew ($12), and Rotisserie Chicken ($14). 

“The idea is to offer the growing neighborhood a place they can hang out, day and night,” says Derschang.  “Come in for coffee and a pastry in the morning, swing by to grab a rotisserie chicken and a bottle of wine to take home, meet friends for a late afternoon snack, cocktails at the bar before a show, a romantic dinner, whatever.”

“And the food will be a great value, delicious, comforting,” says Burke.  “Very important in this uncertain economic time.”

Oddfellows will have a full bar that highlights scratch cocktails inspired by the classics. They will have a vast selection of mostly European beers both in the bottle and on tap, as well as a few microbrew and domestic options.  An eclectic collection of moderately priced old and new world wines will be available to enjoy in-house or to go.

Within the cafe there will be an espresso counter that serves Stumptown coffee and espresso, and a bakery case filled with a rotating selection of sweets created by Heather Earnhardt of the Volunteer Park Cafe.  Look for items like, Butterscotch Oaties ($1.75), Chocolate Whopper Cookies ($1.75), Apple Jack Cupcakes ($3.50), and Peanut Butter & Jelly Cupcakes ($3.50).  There will also be a small candy counter stocked with old-school candy.  Oddfellows will take reservations for parties of six or more.  More information will be available soon at www.oddfellowscafe.com.

Linda Derschang has always been a little ahead of her time, a pioneer of sorts. Her sense of style and design aesthetic uniquely played out in each one of her ventures over the past 15 years.  Whether nightclub, bar, or restaurant, each venue sets a tone, inspires a mood, and gives the city exactly what it didn’t know it’s been missing. Currently, Derschang owns four establishments in Seattle, Linda’s Tavern, Viceroy, King’s Hardware, and Smith.

Located among the elegant homes of Seattle’s North Capitol Hill, chef Ericka Burke’s Volunteer Park Cafe (VPC) is the ideal neighborhood-meeting place.  With mismatched vintage chairs, throw pillows tossed along banquets, and a communal table running the length of the inviting sunlit room - it’s the perfect place to spend time. The food is delicious home-style goodness, house made pastries, savory and sweet, and a selection of fresh salads, soups, and sandwiches provide daytime provisions ordered from friendly faces behind the counter. As the light dims and the candles are lit, table service begins and guests cozy in for rustic pizzas and ever-changing seasonal offerings like Braised Short Ribs, the ever-popular Pot of Gold (roasted baby pumpkin filled with fontina polenta, roasted mushrooms & a creamy rosemary sauce), or the heavenly Daily Pot Pie. VPC offers a generous selection of boutique wines by the glass and bottles of wine can be enjoyed at the cafe or taken to go. VPC is open Tuesday – Friday from 7am – 4:30pm, weekends from 8am – 4:30pm, and dinner is served Tuesday – Saturday from 5:30pm – 9pm. For more information, call (206) 328-3155 or visit www.alwaysfreshgoodness.com.

Volunteer Park Cafe is located at 1501 17th Avenue East (at Galer) in Seattle, Washington.

• 2 months later...

I made a promise and I'll keep it, but I'll say this...

Sam Hassan :wub: (late of Samba) will (keep your fingers crossed) be behind a stove in Seattle again....

Soon. :raz:

~Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Saw this on the Liquor Control Board web site.....

Current Business Name: UNION SQUARE GRILL

New Business Name: THE LOST LADY AMERICAN CANTINA

Business Location: 621 UNION ST, SEATTLE, WA 98102-2322

Current Applicant(s): CONSOLIDATED RESTAURANTS, INC.

New Applicant(s): 621 UNION LLC; WAMSTAD, DALE F; WAMSTAD, COLLEEN ANN

Liquor License Type: SPIRITS/BR/WN REST LOUNGE +; CATERING

Application Type: ASSUMPTION

License Number: 076208

I guess Union Square Grill is going out???

Saw this on the Liquor Control Board web site.....

Current Business Name:  UNION SQUARE GRILL

New Business Name:  THE LOST LADY AMERICAN CANTINA

Business Location:  621 UNION ST,  SEATTLE, WA 98102-2322

Current Applicant(s):  CONSOLIDATED RESTAURANTS, INC.

New Applicant(s):  621 UNION LLC; WAMSTAD, DALE F; WAMSTAD, COLLEEN ANN

Liquor License Type:  SPIRITS/BR/WN REST LOUNGE +; CATERING

Application Type:  ASSUMPTION 

License Number:  076208

I guess Union Square Grill is going out???

yup, sold. oldish news.

• 3 weeks later...

Ethan Stowell's new place, "Anchovies & Olives" just opened tonight on capitol hill at 15th and pine. (in the building i live in!) we had a few plates of 'italian seafood' and it was all quite good. the kitchen is right in the middle of the dining room with all the plating done right in front of you on the biggest Boos block I've ever seen! (8'x12' ?) nice selection of italian wines, mostly white.

(and i think i spotted local egullet celebs lorna and henry there too)

Yes,we were the table that ate for 3 hours straight. :laugh: I loved the uni spaghetti with breadcrumbs best, though the pasta might have been too al dente for some. Great crudo list. They also have shigoku oysters if you're too lazy to get yourself down to the farmer's market.

I made a promise and I'll keep it, but I'll say this...

Sam Hassan  :wub: (late of Samba) will (keep your fingers crossed) be behind a stove in Seattle again....

Soon.  :raz:

~Jason

More info here.

Edited by Fay Jai (log)

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Nancy Leson gives the tally of '09 closures:  http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/ally...s_seattles.html

Anyone know what happened w/ Cremant and when they closed?  I've heard Madrona is a tough neighborhood to survive in, but I at least used to be willing to make the trek from Queen Anne.  Bummer.

That's so funny. If you aren't being ironic, it was the hot gossip of the year. Here's one account and lot of comments: and do read the comments!

Nancy Leson gives the tally of '09 closures:  http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/ally...s_seattles.html

Anyone know what happened w/ Cremant and when they closed?  I've heard Madrona is a tough neighborhood to survive in, but I at least used to be willing to make the trek from Queen Anne.   Bummer.

That's so funny. If you aren't being ironic, it was the hot gossip of the year. Here's one account and lot of comments: and do read the comments!

Not ironic, I had been in the Himalayas until several weeks ago, may as well have been on Mars. I guess I do recall reading something about the sale, probably here but it hadn't registered as 'closed'. So is the restaurant still open, open as something else, or closed completely? The Leson link suggested the new owners would try to keep it open - did they try or was that just talk?

Driving down Denny today, noticed a 'space for lease' sign in the window at WHYM on 1st & Denny.

Yup, Whym is gone. As is Cafe Stellina on 12th up on Capitol Hill. Voracious has had good coverage of comings and goings lately.

Yup, Whym is gone. As is Cafe Stellina on 12th up on Capitol Hill. Voracious has had good coverage of comings and goings lately.

Cafe Stellina had been for sale on Craigslist for at least a few months. I was near there last week and it looked like there was some remodeling going on, so maybe something new is coming.

• 2 months later...

Entrée Nous on Stewart closed its doors today. I know it wasn't the best of places, and service was definitely lacking, but as a neighborhood place it served us well. We enjoyed the food and we'll miss it. It appears that some all-nite dive is moving in that will appeal to the Nightlite and Noc Noc 3 AM revelers, I'm sure.

Edited by Really Nice! (log)

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera