• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 3)

It's kind of sad to lose the Couth Buzzard, though. Ken owns the building and as long as he gets his permit, is kicking out the bakery (no big loss), Allusia and Couth Buzzard-not sure about the game shop.

Oh, that big!?! I figured just as far as the old glass shop. That's a major expansion. I wonder if they need a zoning variance to go that big in that location.

Anyone know whats going into the space on Denny Way (or maybe its Olive Way, I always get confused) on capitol hill where the Wing Dome used to be.  They just painted it a lovely teal blue, but I dont see any signs up yet.  I hope its a bistro and not just another little clothing botique.  Restaurants usually have a coming soon sign or a permit posted with the business name, so thats why im thinking something other than a food establishement.

Apparently it's a tequila bar called Santo Tequila, started by the same guy from Havana

Review Here

La Saborsita, Georgetown - south of Michigan on 5th?

Breakfast and lunch spot - sit down. Homemade tortillas, sauces, beans...real meals. Huge sandwiches.

I had a great quesadilla filled with fresh mushrooms, onions and goat cheese, side of sour cream, guacamole, and reddish salsa.

La Saborsita, Georgetown - south of Michigan on 5th?

Breakfast and lunch spot - sit down. Homemade tortillas, sauces, beans...real meals. Huge sandwiches.

I had a great quesadilla filled with fresh mushrooms, onions and goat cheese, side of sour cream, guacamole, and reddish salsa.

Have you tried El Gallo d'Oro on E. Marginal? It looks interesting....

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Have you tried El Gallo d'Oro on E. Marginal?  It looks interesting....

Is it new, or have they maybe just repainted the building so it stands out more? I drive by there once or twice a week, and I don't remember noticing the place until the last month or so. I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking about it. As you say, it does look interesting!

MaryMc

Seattle, WA

Have you tried El Gallo d'Oro on E. Marginal?  It looks interesting....

Is it new, or have they maybe just repainted the building so it stands out more? I drive by there once or twice a week, and I don't remember noticing the place until the last month or so. I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking about it. As you say, it does look interesting!

I think somebody different has taken over. It used to just be a club with a taco truck out front, now it looks much nicer, with new signage, etc. There's one extremely positive review of in on Yelp.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

Found out more about Picnic (from the Weekly)...this sounds like a VERY cool addition to the 'hood.

Co-owners Jenny and Anson Klock are about to start the build-out on a "food and wine boutique" called Picnic, slated to open in late summer 2008. Located on Phinney Ridge, Jenny says their upscale prepared foods will be a take-out alternative to the sort of wholesome, mostly-organic fare found nearby at Stumbling Goat and Oliver's Twist. They'll have everything you'd need for a picnic, of course (cheese, salumi, olives, and wine from boutique regional vintners), as well as a case full of dinner options like fresh pasta, entrees, and side dishes.

Anson, who cooked at now-defunct Cassis on Capitol Hill, and then for two years under Jason Wilson when the latter first launched Crush, will focus on housemade charcuterie, turning out fresh pates, rilettes, and sausages for folks to take home.

If all goes well, Jenny said they may do communal dinners, as well.

Picnic will anchor the northeast corner of the new Fini condos on Phinney Ridge.

Found out more about Picnic (from the Weekly)...this sounds like a VERY cool addition to the 'hood.
Co-owners Jenny and Anson Klock are about to start the build-out on a "food and wine boutique" called Picnic, slated to open in late summer 2008. Located on Phinney Ridge, Jenny says their upscale prepared foods will be a take-out alternative to the sort of wholesome, mostly-organic fare found nearby at Stumbling Goat and Oliver's Twist. They'll have everything you'd need for a picnic, of course (cheese, salumi, olives, and wine from boutique regional vintners), as well as a case full of dinner options like fresh pasta, entrees, and side dishes.

Anson, who cooked at now-defunct Cassis on Capitol Hill, and then for two years under Jason Wilson when the latter first launched Crush, will focus on housemade charcuterie, turning out fresh pates, rilettes, and sausages for folks to take home.

If all goes well, Jenny said they may do communal dinners, as well.

Picnic will anchor the northeast corner of the new Fini condos on Phinney Ridge.

it will be a great addition. i know the klocks very well, and can personally attest to their commitment to quality in everything they do. they're both great cooks...refined, but refreshingly unfussy. anson's charcuterie and fresh pastas are exceptional. jenny's wine knowledge is very solid, so you can expect a thoughtful, value-driven, and creative wine selection at picnic.

they are dear friends, but beyond that, they're wonderful people. i have no doubt that their food, paired with jenny's warmth and effervescence will charm the neighborhood.

now if it would only get warm enough to *have* a picnic...

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Was wandering down the Ave recently and saw one of the boarded up stores with "Samurai Ramen, coming soon" for all of you who are craving a ramen fix but don't want to head all the way down to the ID.

Edible food on the Ave? Could it be? Fingers very tightly crossed!

I asked the staff and they said a second location of Samurai Ramen opens at 43rd and the Ave in late May. Yay.

Robin Tyler McWaters

• 3 weeks later...
Was wandering down the Ave recently and saw one of the boarded up stores with "Samurai Ramen, coming soon" for all of you who are craving a ramen fix but don't want to head all the way down to the ID.

I asked the staff and they said a second location of Samurai Ramen opens at 43rd and the Ave in late May. Yay.

I'm crossing my fingers, too! But I heard "summer" as the opening time and when I went by last week, it looked nothing like a restaurant inside. Maybe they can pull it off in 16 days, though!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm crossing my fingers, too! But I heard "summer" as the opening time and when I went by last week, it looked nothing like a restaurant inside. Maybe they can pull it off in 16 days, though!

I've not seen a single person working there in any of the time I've walked past. I don't know what's happening with that space but I would be surprised if they could get it finished before the end of summer.

PS: I am a guy.

The other French bistro in Madrona, Bistrot Mazarin (almost across the street from Verite Coffee has become a Turkish plave - Turkuaz (sp?) with a nice looking menu and the French place's decor. What happened?

In Hillman City - that is the stretch of Rainier south of Columbia City - a newly refreshed building bears signage for Africado (sp? again) West African. Same people who were in Belltown on 1st years ago???

In Columbia City, Casulita's Island Soul has opened next to the CC Bakery. At least they were open for Beat Walk on Friday - may have been a soft opening. Liquor License is still posted on the window.

Edited by tsquare (log)

My understanding was that the chef at Mazarin became ill and elected to sell or work something out to turn it into Turkuaz.

I didn't realize Casuelita's was expanding to a third branch. There's another Latin/Caribbean restaurant (La Casa del Mojito) which seems to have expanded relatively recently, adding to their Lake City shop another location in the U-District.

The other French bistro in Madrona, Bistrot Mazarin (almost across the street from Verite Coffee has become a Turkish plave - Turkuaz (sp?) with a nice looking menu and the French place's decor. What happened?

In Hillman City - that is the stretch of Rainier south of Columbia City - a newly refreshed building bears signage for Africado (sp? again) West African. Same people who were in Belltown on 1st years ago???

In Columbia City, Casulita's Island Soul has opened next to the CC Bakery. At least they were open for Beat Walk on Friday - may have been a soft opening. Liquor License is still posted on the window.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

My understanding was that the chef at Mazarin became ill and elected to sell or work something out to turn it into Turkuaz.

I didn't realize Casuelita's was expanding to a third branch. There's another Latin/Caribbean restaurant (La Casa del Mojito) which seems to have expanded relatively recently, adding to their Lake City shop another location in the U-District.

Thanks Jason!

I was thinking Caualita's might close the place off 23rd, but I don't know anything about this.

We stopped in at Africando - same guy that had the place in Belltown until 3 years ago - opening soon at the SW corner of Rainier and Juneau.

Does anyone know what is going on in the former Fork/Bacchus/CocoLaTiDa location? Walked by there today and noticed the polka dots were missing and saw someone in there with a laptop.

Going to be something called the Olive Tree Bistro.

Gnomey

The GastroGnome

(The adventures of a Gnome who does not sit idly on the front lawn of culinary cottages)

Does anyone know what is going on in the former Fork/Bacchus/CocoLaTiDa location? Walked by there today and noticed the polka dots were missing and saw someone in there with a laptop.

Going to be something called the Olive Tree Bistro.

Happily, they aren't using that name afterall - but it is their catering company. I think I read it will be called Olivar(?) Sounds good:

http://www.seattleolivetree.com/index.html

The Corson Building restaurant is set to open.  Reservations for dinner began yesterday.  Dinner is $70 w/o out wine and $110 w/wine.

yes!

Phone message says they're not taking reservations yet, though the wesite does...I left a message, just in case.

The Corson Building restaurant is set to open.  Reservations for dinner began yesterday.  Dinner is $70 w/o out wine and $110 w/wine.

yes!

Phone message says they're not taking reservations yet, though the wesite does...I left a message, just in case.

I did get a reservation on Friday. I called first and they said to email the reservation request. I emailed reservations@thecorsonbuilding.com

Edited by MagFoodGuy (log)

yes!

I did get a reservation on Friday. I called first and they said to email the reservation request. I emailed reservations@thecorsonbuilding.com

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.     

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* reservations@thecorsonbuilding.com

Mailbox overwhelmed or bad email address?

They called me back, I'm in for July 5.