• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 3)

at Boren & Yesler: Northshore Hawaiian BBQ turned on their sign today (they remodeled the Rocket)

Did they move from up by Northgate, or is this a 2nd location?

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know whats going into the space on Denny Way (or maybe its Olive Way, I always get confused) on capitol hill where the Wing Dome used to be. They just painted it a lovely teal blue, but I dont see any signs up yet. I hope its a bistro and not just another little clothing botique. Restaurants usually have a coming soon sign or a permit posted with the business name, so thats why im thinking something other than a food establishement.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been laid up in the hospital since last July. Anything new going on in Wallingford? Did anything take the old Ebb & Flow Space? Is Wallingford Pizza House still open?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I have been laid up in the hospital since last July.  Anything new going on in Wallingford?  Did anything take the old Ebb & Flow Space?  Is Wallingford Pizza House still open?

It's another diner place- blanking on the name right now. Sorry to hear of your hospitalization!

It's called Loki Cafe. I've been a couple of times and I really like it.

Joule is up and running. Quite busy from what I hear.

There's a Jamba Juice in one of the new complexes at 45th and Stone Way - does that count? :raz:

Have fun checking out the neighborhood again - post hospitalization.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

It's been mentioned over on Mouthfulsfood.com

Ali Scheff wrote about it here: Mistral to close at the end of this month

I wrote about it here: Mistral chef William Belickis hashes over his future

And Rebekah wrote a great article about it here: Mistral Sale: here's the good news

I'm disappointed at the reviews I've read so far of Loki. The hamburgers at Ebb&Flow/Jitterbug/Beeliner Diner were amazing!

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

New Vietnamese / Chinese at 2815 Rainier Ave S - remodeled and replaced a former one. Ben Thanh?

I don't know much about judging Pho or broken rice dishes, but these made us very happy with rich flavors offset by tart vinegar and frsh herbs. Big bowl of Pho - $6.50, massive plate of rice with charbroiled pork and bean curd wrapped shrimp paste, $6.95. I saw them serve a whole fried fish with platters of accompaniments - very impressive.

Edited by tsquare (log)

Attention poutine lovers, get thee to West Seattle! Stopped by Shadowland last night and had a very nice meal. The chef there used to cook at Union and the attention to detail shows. We had the poutine, mac and cheese, hummus, and tortilla, they very graciously sent out some clams with chorizo, some mini duck sandwiches, and some dessert. The poutine was everything it should be, good fries, good gravy, and nicely melted cheese curds. The hummus had a pleasant zing to it and was served with naan instead of pita which I thought was a nice touch. The mac and cheese was more than solid, just a good simple cheddar and béchamel version with bread crumb topping. The tortilla was the only thing that didn't make much of an impression, it was fairly well executed and nicely presented in a small cast iron skillet but didn't stand out, it just was. The clams were excellent and the chorizo added a spicy bite to it, the duck sandwiches were good with a slice of what I think was Tallegio over the top melted on and holding it all together. Dessert was a olive oil cake with a fig compote between layers making a sort of fig newton sort of thing, there was also this chocolate thing that would cure any and all craving for chocolate in about a bite and a half. Cocktails were decent, a nice wine list, and an extensive beer selection rounded out the offerings. Portions are huge by the way, two of us ordered four small plates and really we could have just ordered one each. Why can't I get a place like this in my neighbourhood!? Any time I'm in West Seattle or craving poutine I'm definitely heading here.

Rocky

Oh, I forgot to post on Shadowland a few weeks back.

We also had the poutine, clams, and olive oil cake as. Also the scallops. Liked it fine, hated the tv's and the scale of the giant booths (so we sat at the bar.)

On 14th between pike and pine, a liquor lisence in the window for Pancia Piena, LLC.

Yes I walk by here every day on the way to work, no I can't for the life of me remember what it was before.

Gnomey

The GastroGnome

(The adventures of a Gnome who does not sit idly on the front lawn of culinary cottages)

On 14th between pike and pine, a liquor lisence in the window for Pancia Piena, LLC.

Yes I walk by here every day on the way to work, no I can't for the life of me remember what it was before.

do you mean where the Globe (vegan cafe) used to be? As there is also a new liquor license notice in the window of the still closed 1200 bistro at 12th and pike

Edited by ladybugseattle (log)

While I am still personally mourning the loss of frites, I did learn what is going in there: Michael Hebberoy (of One Pot) is opening a "Fish Fry"--with fried fish of all sorts, including red snapper, anchovies, sardines and more.

Gnomey

The GastroGnome

(The adventures of a Gnome who does not sit idly on the front lawn of culinary cottages)

And at 68th in Greenwood, in the new Fini condos, some promising signs went up: One space that is supposed to be an independent coffee shop has watercolor drawings of (Parisian) macarons plastered around, and lists of French desserts on other signs; there is also a liquor license application up for a place called Picnic, "a beer and wine specialty shop" (though I heard the condo sales rep say it would be an organic grocer). Maybe that's why Ken's is expanding...

It's kind of sad to lose the Couth Buzzard, though. Ken owns the building and as long as he gets his permit, is kicking out the bakery (no big loss), Allusia and Couth Buzzard-not sure about the game shop.