• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 3)

I've been eyeing the spot in Ravenna where the old Alebrijo used to be and it's finally opened as India Bistro on Sunday. Went in today to get a menu, looks like pretty typical indian fare but with a heavy emphasis towards lamb which looks promising to me.

Most promising dish to me looks to be a Rack of Lamb Marsala ($16) and a Murgh e shaan - Chicken breast stuffed with dried fruit, cheese & spices and topped with an almond sauce ($14).

The location seems to be a death trap so I hope this place does better than Alebrijo.

In other news, La Casa del Mojito has opened a second restaurant on the Ave, around 55th or so. I never went to the original on Lake City way but friends have told me good things about it. Went to the Ave one a few weeks ago and it was a satisfying meal.

PS: I am a guy.

I've been eyeing the spot in Ravenna where the old Alebrijo used to be and it's finally opened as India Bistro on Sunday. Went in today to get a menu, looks like pretty typical indian fare but with a heavy emphasis towards lamb which looks promising to me.

Most promising dish to me looks to be a Rack of Lamb Marsala ($16) and a Murgh e shaan - Chicken breast stuffed with dried fruit, cheese & spices and topped with an almond sauce ($14).

Does anyone know if this is related to the India Bistro in Ballard on Market? I hope it is.

Robin Tyler McWaters

Does anyone know if this is related to the India Bistro in Ballard on Market? I hope it is.

I answered my own question - Yes. It is a second location for them - see website.

Robin Tyler McWaters

Oh, I didn't realise it was a spin off, has anyone been to the original? What was it like? I'm thinking of heading there for lunch tomorrow to try it out.

The original India Bistro isn't my favorite indian Food, but it is my favorite indian food in Ballard. I've only been there a few times, so I can't comment more than that. The India Bistro in Ballard feels more bistro than Indian in atmosphere, but I don't know if that will transfer to the new location.

I've never been for lunch, by the way. Looking forward to hearing your report.

Robin Tyler McWaters

I like India Bistro in Ballard quite a bit. It's nicer than your average Indian place in Seattle, and just seems to have brighter/fresher flavors than other places I've tried here. I could eat buckets of the green sauce you get with the free papadums they give you to start.

The second India Bistro on 65th, just west of Roosevelt has been open a week. The food, as kiliki mentioned, is somehow lighter and brighter/fresher than most places in town. The sauces are really flavorful. They ask how hot you like your food - medium was a little tame. (I don't recall this in other Indian restaurants.)

The new place is quite spacious, the colors and decor warm and pleasant. There is a bar, and cocktails, including the house martini with vodka infused with roasted cloves. No, I did not try one. That green sauce, jalapanos, I think. I also likes the tamarind red sauce.

Rack of lamb for $16! The vegetables that come with it were really good as well. As was the rice. And the sauce.

Go now - the place in Ballard tends to have a wait. Parking is easier in Roosevelt too.

So I checked out the new India Bistro yesterday. I am a pretty big fan of the one in Ballard, but the drive and long lines tended to keep me from it. This is right by me so that was nice. The menu and decor are a bit more upscale but the prices were still quite reasonable. The wine list was quite skimpy (less than ten wines) thought they were all quite cheap (under $30). We had a very bold Petite Syrah that held up to our Extra hot saag lamb quite well.

I chatted with the waitress for a bit and she said they did quite a bit of research before opening the second restaurant. One thing I really liked was the entree presentation in a silver dish over a candle. It steamed through our whole bottle of wine. Also the waitress was very informative, reccomending the curried mussels special (well worth reccomending).

I hope that they can keep up this level of service if this ever gets as crowded as the other location, since I never had this level there. Big space though, so perhaps it won't get to that.

Gnomey

The GastroGnome

(The adventures of a Gnome who does not sit idly on the front lawn of culinary cottages)

On Bellevue Ave, next to Dinette, is a new place called Taco Gringos. Laurie spotted it the other day.

http://tacogringos.com/

I peeked in today, hoping to find lunch, but they're open "Tue-Sat 8pm-late." The menu looked like this:

Tacos $2

Soda $1

I believe the taco varieties were pork, chicken, and steak, but there may have been a vegetarian one. Anybody know anything about this? I assume it's either really good or really bad. I will try to swing by this week.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I will try to swing by this week.

Done. The taco gringos in question are two guys, Michael and Taber, who used to cook at Campagne. They live on the hill and had one too many nights out with no tacos, so they got this tiny space and turned it into Taco Gringos.

They're going to change up the menu regularly. Tonight it was pork, chicken, veg. The chicken was the best, because it had tomatillos. They're your basic truck-style tacos, albeit with a single tortilla instead of two. There's extra salsa by the squeeze bottle and Mexican sodas--well, one variety each of Jumex and Jarritos, at the moment. Iris will be pleased to know that they'll have a tongue taco; well, not that pleased, since they don't open until past her bedtime.

As for the other tacos, I liked the pork, but the vegetarian was TVP-based, which is not really in the spirit of tacos, I don't think. I'd totally go for beans, or something like, hmm, braised chard with red onions and queso fresco. Now I'm going to be lying in bed all night thinking of vegetarian taco fillings.

How many tacos will the gringos have to sell to break even? Beats me. "Our money time is going to be between 12:30 and 2:30," predicted Michael. Do drunks love tacos? If so, I think the gringos are going to do all right.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Do drunks love tacos? If so, I think the gringos are going to do all right.

I don't know. I thought opening a frites place right outside a club was a no-brainer.......

Yes, and it was--The frites place did not close because of lack of business, but rather a seperate issue...

Gnomey

The GastroGnome

(The adventures of a Gnome who does not sit idly on the front lawn of culinary cottages)

Do drunks love tacos? If so, I think the gringos are going to do all right.

I don't know. I thought opening a frites place right outside a club was a no-brainer.......

Yes, and it was--The frites place did not close because of lack of business, but rather a seperate issue...

then SOMEBODY needs to fill that gap... eh?!

Born Free, Now Expensive

YES! I am in full agreement. I would like the following things when I exit a show at neumo's : An Empanada lady with a basket covered with a cloth, a street cart selling bowls of noodles with spicy broth and somebody with a vat of oil selling deep fried whothehellcareswhatsortofanimalpart.

Anyone want in on this establishment with me?

Sounds like a winner!

Born Free, Now Expensive

A few (relatively) recent openings:

Txori (by the same folks who brought us Harvest Vine). Small bites & drinks from Basque country, in Belltown.

Ama Ama took over the old Ovio space in West Seattle.

Also in the West Seattle Junction area, Shadowland (couldn't find a link). Small plates + entrees, 21+ over.

• 2 weeks later...

Au revoir to Saint Germain, in Madison Park. The darling little cafe will be open for just 3 more days. If you haven't had a chance to eat there yet, it is worth a special trip this week. Saint Germain's menu (and owner) are French, offering exceedingly tasty tartines, salads, soups along with classic french desserts and an extensive wine list - especially considering it is such a small place. They are open for lunch, happy hour and dinner.

We split a croque monsieur today, along with a bowl of of a rich but delicate cream of zucchini soup, and coffee. The croque monsieur tasted as though the bread had been soaked in butter before being grilled to a light crunch, just the right crispy texture to offset the goo of the melted gruyere inside the sandwich. Yum. I wish I had left room for a poire belle helen for dessert.

The owner is off to another adventure, and Saint Germain will apparently be reinvented as a creperie. I wish I had eaten there more often - there won't be another place quite like Saint Germain.

http://saintgermainseattle.com