• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 3)

've been to Presse a couple times now and I love it. Croque monsieur one visit, oeufs plats the next, and I have my eye on the sardine sandwich for next time.

Service has been a little off both visits.

We had good service, but then my friend was holding an angelic, sleeping two-month infant, which seems to get us a little extra attention as long as the "angelic" lasts.

I forgot to say I'm heartbroken about the Belgian Frites closing, but at least if we need frites and mayo at 1 a.m., Cafe Presse has them. We can roll the menu into a cone.

Service has been a little off both visits. The first time I was in I got a distinct "it's your privilege to eat in our restaurant" vibe,

Was that the too full of herself "pretty girl" waitress? if so I think it's more your privilege to eat at her table...

Have to say that my favorite moment was when I figured out that the incomprehensible dessert she had just repeated 3 times, with increasing impatience, was not "Choklit Shush" but chocolat chaud :laugh:

apart from attitudinal service from one waitress (the rest were fine) we had a lovely meal and walked out for under $15 each, so how can you go wrong? I must go back & try the steak tartare!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Has anyone heard if Mediterranean Kitchen on lower Queen Anne has closed? CitySearch has a big *CLOSED* next to their name. I tried to call but no one answers, ths isn't unusual as they haven't been open for lunch for a while (and its lucky to get someone to answer during regular hours :rolleyes: )

Has anyone heard if Mediterranean Kitchen on lower Queen Anne has closed?  CitySearch has a big *CLOSED* next to their name. I tried to call but no one answers, ths isn't unusual as they haven't been open for lunch for a while (and its lucky to get someone to answer during regular hours  :rolleyes: )

The worst etiquette! (answering my own post) Sorry :wacko:

I spoke to the owner's son (who runs the restaraunt in Bellevue) and he confirms that Med Kitchen in Seattle has closed as of a week ago yesterday. This seriously bums me out, but I can understand people wanting to retire - especially from this industry :wink:

cburnsi

Crazyberry on Broadway is open! Matthew, Iris, and I checked it out this afternoon. We got two cups: plain (vanilla) with Oreo, and strawberry with fresh strawberries. I really enjoyed it, and Iris said, "I LOVE FROZEN YOGURT!" (The fact that each serving came with a Pocky stick really won her over. Also, the tables spin.)

I figured Matthew would be the first person to blog about it, since they just opened, but while he was busy writing up Kintaro Ramen, someone else got there first.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Not to me. My memory has faded, but I think I preferred the old school stuff. The only "real" frozen yogurt I've had anytime in the last few years was at Ikea, which I get cravings for because it seems to have enough fat in it to have a pleasant creamy texture, but I'm not willing to put up with Ikea in order to get it.

I've only been to the little place behind Cafe Zum Zum downtown (Yoberry?), but it tastes like reconstituted acidified powdered slurry to me. Some people on Yelp seem to think it tastes more like yogurt than the frozen yogurts of yore. I think that's because of the amplified acidity. I don't have a problem with the acidity; I like my yogurt a bit tarter than many people, but as far as I can tell, it isn't real yogurt.

It may be "all natural", but it's all natural like yogurt coated pretzels or sour cream flavored potato chips.

Crazyberry on Broadway is open

Does frozen yogurt this time around taste better than the stuff I used to eat 20 years ago? I've been so puzzled by the resurgance.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Anyone know what the deal is with Tribunali on the top of Queen Anne? It's always packed.

Just like the first one on Capitol Hill. Great pizza, good people. What more do you need to know?

If I'm going to get off work early enough to do laundry.

Anyone know what the deal is with Tribunali on the top of Queen Anne? It's always packed.

Just like the first one on Capitol Hill. Great pizza, good people. What more do you need to know?

I just read that they're opening yet another location in Georgetown soon. Still think their pizza is overrated, but good by Seattle standards.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 2 weeks later...
I spoke with the owners of Entre Nous a day or so after their opening.  A nice couple, husband as chef, wife doing the business side I believe.  I don't recall where the chef worked before, but the menu is simple takes on French food; things he likes to make for himself.  As an example, one of the lunch items is basically a nicoise salad on a baguette.  Lots of other baguette sandwiches, streak frites, and fondue.  I didn't try anything because they weren't actually open when I spoke to them -- it was Easter Sunday... and a friend and I got caught peering into the window and invited in.  They've really done a fabulous job transforming the space... it's got a French bistro feeling without a hint of the former Mamacita's.

Kriste and I are stopping in about once a week for happy hour (M-F 4:30 - 6). They have $5 tapas plates, $3 bottle beer, glass of wine, or well drinks. Buy 3 plates and the fourth is free. We tend to get their pommes frites, zucchini fritters, beef plate, mussels in basil butter, and mushrooms (for me). You can get four plates, two drinks and get out for under $30, including tax and tip.

Their dinner menu offers duck, lamb, shrimp... lots of great stuff. Wine list is simple, easy-drinking stuff. Their cuisine appears to mostly center around Procençal-style.

Here's their web site: http://entrenousseattle.com/

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Has anyone tried Rowdy Cowgirl BBQ in Fremont yet?  Just got a flyer for them &  I'm always hoping to find good BBQ...

Everytime I tried, they were closed. I gave up. Have you tried Pig Iron in Georgetown?

Edited by tsquare (log)

Has anyone tried Rowdy Cowgirl BBQ in Fremont yet?  Just got a flyer for them &  I'm always hoping to find good BBQ...

Everytime I tried, they were closed. I gave up. Have you tried Pig Iron in Georgetown?

I got the flyer, too. It said they are open until 10 pm, but when I went by at 9 one evening they were closed. I plan on trying on Saturday. I'll let you know if I get in!

Has anyone tried Rowdy Cowgirl BBQ in Fremont yet? Just got a flyer for them & I'm always hoping to find good BBQ...

I got in! They were open Saturday 4 Sept 2007 at noon. I think they are open 12-8 M-Sat but I'm not sure about Sun, and don't even try to check the website, flyers or call for info, it's no help at all.

I don't know BBQ -- some southerner will have to go and give an expert review, but I had a tasty lunch for $10! Excellent succotash and coleslaw (non-cream, non-mayo version) and delicious pulled pork and brisket. They were perhaps a little dry (again, what do I know), but there were 4-5 different sauces to use, plus dozens of commercial hot sauces. They have beer.

It's fun, casual, fast, close to Gasworks, if you want to get take out and go to the park.

That they are only open 4 days a week? :hmmm:

which days?

• 4 weeks later...

Villa Victoria indeed! Bless you T-Square for this post - now I can't wait until Tuesday - it's been a long, long, long time since she stood behind her little window on the sidewalk on 34th...and now she's back and even closer to home!

• 2 weeks later...