• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 3)

Azura Asian Bistro closed. It was located on Pine across from Bauhaus. I had seen it coming since they were running half page ads in all the papers every week and basically covered there enterence with a giant banner.

I think this would make a nice retail space, or maybe a mixed use office/dual retail space.

It seems to me that it was a mistake to retain the name after the first ownership change... there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the location, but the first incarnation just sent all the wrong vibes from the visible-from-outside interior (at least to a reasonably well-traveled food geek such as myself), and the food didn't sound interesting. I just didn't believe that it would be any good, and knowing that there was a "new owner" just confused me... why didn't they want their own identity?

I would vote for a cocktail lounge, with all that glass. I suppose there's no need for yet another place to drink on a corner with two other bars, but small and intimate with some simple small decadent dishes along the lines of Oliver's Twist could work there.

Azura Asian Bistro closed.  It was located on Pine across from Bauhaus.  I had seen it coming since they were running half page ads in all the papers every week and basically covered there enterence with a giant banner.

I think this would make a nice retail space, or maybe a mixed use office/dual retail space.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

It seems to me that it was a mistake to retain the name after the first ownership change... there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the location, but the first incarnation just sent all the wrong vibes from the visible-from-outside interior (at least to a reasonably well-traveled food geek such as myself), and the food didn't sound interesting. I just didn't believe that it would be any good, and knowing that there was a "new owner" just confused me... why didn't they want their own identity?

I would vote for a cocktail lounge, with all that glass. I suppose there's no need for yet another place to drink on a corner with two other bars, but small and intimate with some simple small decadent dishes along the lines of Oliver's Twist could work there.

Azura Asian Bistro closed.  It was located on Pine across from Bauhaus.  I had seen it coming since they were running half page ads in all the papers every week and basically covered there enterence with a giant banner.

I think that problem was the fact that they served bad food. :wink:

Remember the space that once held Mama's little spin-off? Across the street to the North of the Bon (oops, Macy's) garage. It is being renovated into Entre Nous - French tapas and fondue. Why not just petits plats?

Coupage is the latest tennant at 1404 34th Ave in Madrona.

I have no idea what the food is like, I just drove by this morning & noticed

that it wasn't Dreys anymore. I never ate at Dreys. I can't remember what

was there before Dreys, but there have been so many restaruants in that space,

it's amazing.

The space is inbetween Cafe Soleil - a delicious little Ethiopian cafe on the corner & the Hi-Spot, a neighborhood favorite for years.

You can read about it here.

The place is hopping. The food was very good, very good, but not as challenging as I was prepped for.

Re: Azura

I think that problem was the fact that they served bad food.  :wink:

That's probably the case... I remember seeing impassioned pleas on Citysearch from the "new" owners that their food had totally changed and that people should give them a fair shake... Even so, I couldn't convince myself to try it before or after, both because the first incarnation looked so uninspired, and because I was thinking if they were doing anything particularly different they would have crafted a new identity, too.

Usually you don't try to build on bad will...

Jason Truesdell

Re: Azura
I think that problem was the fact that they served bad food.  :wink:

That's probably the case... I remember seeing impassioned pleas on Citysearch from the "new" owners that their food had totally changed and that people should give them a fair shake... Even so, I couldn't convince myself to try it before or after, both because the first incarnation looked so uninspired, and because I was thinking if they were doing anything particularly different they would have crafted a new identity, too.

Usually you don't try to build on bad will...

I walked in soon after the change and it was dead dead dead. My friends and I stopped by because we had gone to Chapel for drinks and spotted someone we knew working there. Looking over the menu I had no desire to go back.

Rocky

I'm not sure if there's a corresponding topic for Portland-area restaurants, but yesterday I found out the hard way that the Portland okonomiyaki restaurant, Kyo-Fu, has closed.

Unfortunately the sign says "will return at 5pm", so we made two stops there on Saturday, once at lunch and again at dinner. Our purpose for the trip thus failed, we went to the Siberian section of a passable but not veryexciting crepe place in Hawthorne district and a very unremarkable Chinatown spot.

The PortlandFood site has a posting from February 21 which made a note of this, unfortunately, I don't regularly follow that site. Next time I make a trip to Portland I'll have to do a bit more verification.

Jason Truesdell

DQ Westlake is gone.

Though I loved their hand dipped cones, I didn't consider the Westleake DQ a "real" DQ because I couldn't get a hamburger and onion rings. On long driving trips to and from California I always make sure to stop off at a real DQ, an A&W, Burgerville, and an IN&Out Burger.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Though I loved their hand dipped cones, I didn't consider the Westleake DQ  a "real" DQ because I couldn't get a hamburger and onion rings.  On long driving trips to and from California I always make sure to stop off at a real DQ, an A&W, Burgerville, and an IN&Out Burger.

The stores with ice cream treats only are real DQ, they just aren't real Braziers. DQ does the ice cream--DQ/Brazier does ice cream plus hot foods.

MaryMc

Seattle, WA

Thanks for clearing that up. I miss Brazier's then.

Is the DQ ice cream place still open in North Gate.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

A new cupcake place is opening up in the Wallingford Center.Trophy Cupcakes.

It's open already. I had a good (not great) cupcake from there a couple of weeks ago. Much better than Cupcake Royale.

Finally dropped by here tonight at a friends urging. I agree that the cake is MUCH better tha CR's both moister & richer, but I prefer the icing at Royale. (plus no lavendar at Trophy :sad:) Also these are a bit smaller, but cost more @ $3/cupcake. The space seemed a bit sterile, and the girl working the counter tonight was pretty indifferent both to us as customers and to her product.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I'm glad that cupcakes are now starting to make my croissant habit seem like a budget-conscious choice.... When I came back from Germany in 1996, I thought it was extravagant to spend $1.50 on a plain croissant in Seattle when they were only about 70-80 cents in the little university town where I had been living.

Now that my Besalu pain au chocolat is cheaper than cupcakes, I won't feel so bad being self-indulgent :raz:

Jason Truesdell

A new cupcake place is opening up in the Wallingford Center.Trophy Cupcakes.

It's open already. I had a good (not great) cupcake from there a couple of weeks ago. Much better than Cupcake Royale.

Finally dropped by here tonight at a friends urging. I agree that the cake is MUCH better tha CR's both moister & richer, but I prefer the icing at Royale. (plus no lavendar at Trophy :sad:) Also these are a bit smaller, but cost more @ $3/cupcake. The space seemed a bit sterile, and the girl working the counter tonight was pretty indifferent both to us as customers and to her product.

Oooh, they raised their prices already. I was there again on March 1st and the cupcakes were $2.75. I bought a dozen mini cupcakes for my book group and they were quite the hit!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Went and tried the new taco truck Ranco Bravo on NE 45th in the Winchell's parking lot in Wallingford. Good truck, it's not remarkable but it is a good solid truck which means that it's still pretty good. The best news is that they're open until 230AM on Friday and Saturday.

Rocky

Went and tried the new taco truck Ranco Bravo on NE 45th in the Winchell's parking lot in Wallingford.  Good truck, it's not remarkable but it is a good solid truck which means that it's still pretty good.  The best news is that they're open until 230AM on Friday and Saturday.

Rocky

Is it open weeknights?

Went and tried the new taco truck Ranco Bravo on NE 45th in the Winchell's parking lot in Wallingford.  Good truck, it's not remarkable but it is a good solid truck which means that it's still pretty good.  The best news is that they're open until 230AM on Friday and Saturday.

Rocky

Is it open weeknights?

Until 9pm

Rocky

1) Went to Rancho Bravo the other night for a couple Carne Asada Tacos. Pretty good, maybe a smidge less as good as some of the trucks and buses in the south, but since I don't have a car and it's on my way home from work, I will become a regular. The server was nice. Be patient because despite its claim of fast service, this truck is half the size of most other trucks, so there will be a little bit of a wait if anyone ordered before you. All I had were 2 tacos ($3 including tax) and din't order a beverage, so I don't know if they sell Mexican Coke in glass bottles. that is always an extra star from me.

2) I overheard that the Wonder Bar is becoming "Babalu" (sp?) a "Cuban Jazz bar. That sounds promising. I hope they will also serve food.

2) I overheard that the Wonder Bar is becoming "Babalu" (sp?) a "Cuban Jazz bar.  That sounds promising.  I hope they will also serve food.

I noticed that they were doing construction again. It looks nice inside. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that, with the addition of Tilth and Smash to the neighborhood, a real cocktail bar can survive.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I noticed a new place on 65th NE (south side of street) between Roosevelt and the freeway, in that restaurant row area, right across from the Superbowl Noodle House. I couldn't get the name but saw a sign that said something about Mexican-Cuban food. Anybody know anything?

Thanks!

SusieQ

Rocky

Hope you enjoy it, I'm kinda sorry they moved from Kirkland, as there is no good place around here to get my taco truck fix now.

Also, you gotta love a taco truck with a website: http://www.myspace.com/ranchobravotacos ] http://www.myspace.com/ranchobravotacos