• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 3)

Has anyone stopped into Copper Gate yet? It's on 24th NW, up from Besalu. I believe the Thaiku guy is behind it - new Scandinavian lounge. Dan Braun (Oliver's Twist) consulting (?), Eric C, late of Matt's in the Market, lending a hand...

I had a nice time there last night. I know nothing about Scandinavian food and drink so I don't know if the food and cocktails were the real thing or a gimmick, but the cocktails (all with unpronouncable names) and food (about 6-8 small plate type dishes) all seemed to be at least Nordic-inspired. They have a number of flavored aquavits (they make a couple in-house) and different cocktails made with cucumber, elderberry, cherry, apple, licorice...mine were nice and not too sweet. Food was things like swedish meatballs, pickled herring, a special open faced sandwich with rye, butter and beef...I can't remember what else. I only had fries (they came with caraway-spiced ketchup) which were not that good.

They had lots of comfy looking seats and booths, but the barstools were kind of weird in that they were bolted to the floor, and just a bit too far away from the bar and from their nearest neighbor. The decor is naked lady/viking ship. The bartender was very helpful and attentive. There were no seats left by 7 but there was room for standing, so it wasn't ever packed. I can't believe how hard it is to get a seat at a bar, any bar, in Ballard, from King's Hardware to Sambar, that early on a weekend.

Bummer...I knew I could always get a Monte Cristo Sandwich here...

Baker's in Lake City

~Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

I ate there once and thought the meal was pretty good. When I used to have dialysis at 145th & Lake City I would often have to wait at the bus stop in front of Baker's, but they were never open on a weeknight/afternoon. If they had been, I would have eaten there more often.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Bummer...I knew I could always get a Monte Cristo Sandwich here...

Baker's in Lake City

~Jason

Jason, I know you live down south, but if ever up north, Claire's Pantry in Edmonds and Elmer's in Lynnwood, both serve okay Monte Cristo's.

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

Beso Del Sol is closing tomorrow 2/10/2007 forever.

Courtney would love to see everyone one last time at that location (even if it's a madhouse) Go & have a margarita & some delicious salsa.

Beso del Sol

4468 Stone Way North

Stone Way & 45th in Wallingford

The new HT Oak Tree market is open at 100th & Aurora.  Nice selection of Asian goods & produce.  Especially check out their sale aisle - they are clearing out old Larry's merchandise.  Think boxes of gourmet teas, olives, spreads, etc. for super cheap!

Checked out the market today. They're still not very well stocked with Asian groceries though (couldn't find duck legs, lup cheong or dried shiitake mushrooms). I think the Asian food selection is bound to get better gradually as they phase out most of the Larry's stuff.

There are 2 features that are very very good for now, though: their bakery and their take out counter. They have baked hom bow, lotus seed and red bean buns, coconut pineapple buns and other Chinese goodies (in their display case, not prepackaged like at the Edmonds 99 Ranch Market, and fairly inexpensive---the BBQ pork hom bows are only $1.00 a piece) and some really delicious looking cakes (I especially liked the looks of the mango cake).

Their hot food counter has an amazing number of choices (better selection that most Chinese deli counters, including the one in the food court at Uwajimaya and 99 Ranch). Besides the usual Chinese takeout stuff and the char siu, roast pork, and roast duck (they even had a whole roasted pig's head today), they have some fairly hard to find menu items like kau yuk. Their plate lunch prices are reasonable too ($3.99-4.99). I didn't want to buy a whole plate lunch, I was only interested in the kau yuk, so I bought a side order of it (about 1/2 lb that only cost $1.99).

Since I live in the general neighborhood, I'm going to keep my eye on this place to see if they do really fill up the rest of the empty shelves with more Asian goodies over time.

Miulang

The new HT Oak Tree market is open at 100th & Aurora.  Nice selection of Asian goods & produce.  Especially check out their sale aisle - they are clearing out old Larry's merchandise.  Think boxes of gourmet teas, olives, spreads, etc. for super cheap!

Checked out the market today. They're still not very well stocked with Asian groceries though (couldn't find duck legs, lup cheong or dried shiitake mushrooms). I think the Asian food selection is bound to get better gradually as they phase out most of the Larry's stuff.

There are 2 features that are very very good for now, though: their bakery and their take out counter. They have baked hom bow, lotus seed and red bean buns, coconut pineapple buns and other Chinese goodies (in their display case, not prepackaged like at the Edmonds 99 Ranch Market, and fairly inexpensive---the BBQ pork hom bows are only $1.00 a piece) and some really delicious looking cakes (I especially liked the looks of the mango cake).

Their hot food counter has an amazing number of choices (better selection that most Chinese deli counters, including the one in the food court at Uwajimaya and 99 Ranch). Besides the usual Chinese takeout stuff and the char siu, roast pork, and roast duck (they even had a whole roasted pig's head today), they have some fairly hard to find menu items like kau yuk. Their plate lunch prices are reasonable too ($3.99-4.99). I didn't want to buy a whole plate lunch, I was only interested in the kau yuk, so I bought a side order of it (about 1/2 lb that only cost $1.99).

Since I live in the general neighborhood, I'm going to keep my eye on this place to see if they do really fill up the rest of the empty shelves with more Asian goodies over time.

Miulang

I went on Sunday. It was the first time I remember seeing chicken feet in a deli/takeout counter in the US. I had some very good hot and sour soup from the takeout and found a large variety of tofu (yes even several kinds of soft tofu), including fresh.

cburnsi

• 2 weeks later...

THe Chocolate Box is getting ready to open on Pine, next to (and associated with) the Simply Seattle Store. Kind of a Dilettante Cafe, but with Zoka coffee and locally made chocolates (not sure whose or what.) Funny, Dilettante just closed their place around the corner/across the street.

sschocolate.com is the site - but if you add an s to the end of chocolate you get an odd Chinese auction site. Anyone want to spend 76 yuen for a pair of shoes?

Has anyone been to Bottle Rocket yet? I have only seen one person there drinking coffee in the past few weeks. I have no idea what kind of food they serve.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Greenwood-Phinney news:

Che Argento on Greenwood first put up signs saying they were going on vacation for a month, now the windows are papered and "Gorgeous George's Mediterranean Restaurant" is coming soon. The name does not inspire hope.

There's a new little coffee place next door on 78th with the former world barista champion.

And a little up the street, the former Kabab House location is now King Falafel, with a menu much like Mr. Gyros (but it's Halal).

Greenwood-Phinney news:

There's a new little coffee place next door on 78th with the former world barista champion.

Does anyone know any more information about the above mentioned coffee shop, such as the name of the shop, or the name of the barista?

I was wondering the same thing. Is it the guy from Zoka who had one a few years running?

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Does anyone know any more information about the above mentioned coffee shop, such as the name of the shop, or the name of the barista?

Sorry. It's called Seven Roasters. I can't remember the name of the barista-my nieghbor sent me his website but I didn't save it. Here's some early reviews, again courtesy of my neighbors, who love the place. I'm pretty loyal to Lighthouse, and I don't think it's as good, but they already seem to be attracting a following:

Seven Roasters

Oh, and they told me they will be adding benches outside, as well as dog-tying spots (when they saw my dog tied up down the block).

Edited by kiliki (log)

Sorry. It's called Seven Roasters. I can't remember the name of the barista-my nieghbor sent me his website but I didn't save it. Here's some early reviews, again courtesy of my neighbors, who love the place. I'm pretty loyal to Lighthouse, and I don't think it's as good, but they already seem to be attracting a following:

Seven Roasters

Oh, and they told me they will be adding benches outside, as well as dog-tying spots (when they saw my dog tied up down the block).

Thanks for the information.

It looks like Seven Roasters is run by Sean, according to the blog of Dismas: Dismas blog

Robin Tyler McWaters

farewell coco latida

Hi Scott! I feel very badly for Sue...but I know who I'd really like to have back in that space..... :wub:

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien