• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 2)

Where's Herfy's going in? Was Pep's the Mexican place up the hill from you (Pagliaccis)?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Where's Herfy's going in?  Was Pep's the Mexican place up the hill from you (Pagliaccis)?

Yes. Sorry, Pepe's, just up from us.

Herfy's in w/in the month, I'm told.

~J

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

The Wagon Wheel Coffee Shop on Aurora (47th?) is empty and without signage.

That's too bad. I only went there once but it was a pretty good "standard diner" breakfast.

Oh, looks like something is going on - maybe it's just winter cleaning. Main sign is still up.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Jack's Tapas Cafe tonight. Despite the name, the restaurant serves halal style chinese food. Judging from the menu it is not a strict halal restaurant. But they have requisite hand shaven noodles, sesame and scallion cake, and a large number of dishes involving lamb. We had the assorted cold appetizer, the scallion sesame cake, peppered beef tendons, lamb and scallion stir-fry, and slow-cooked meatball casserole. The appetizer was well executed with the usual assortment of sliced stewed beef, eggs, tofu, and kelp. The peppered beef tendon app was also very good, garlicky and gelatinous and good. The slow-cooked meatball casserole was very nice, it came in a small stone pot and had a very flavorful broth. The meatballs themselves were standard, tasty, and as big a small baby's head. The highlight of our meal was definitely the cake and stir-fry though. The lamb tender and thinly sliced and not overcooked, the scallions added a wonderful aromatic-ness to the dish, we made little sandwiches of the lamb and the scallion sesame cake garnished with a really great house made hot sauce and diced pickled cabbage. Jack's made a good first impressionand I will definitely be back. It's on The Ave, north of 50th Ave NE but south of the Irish Emigrant on the west side of the street.

Rocky

That's too bad. I only went there once but it was a pretty good "standard diner" breakfast.

Oh, looks like something is going on - maybe it's just winter cleaning. Main sign is still up.

Sign is gone.

Anyone have anything on Cremant - Madrona neighborhood - 34th?

Who, when, what?

Cremant has been under construction since Sept 05', they just put the windows in last week so it seems to be slow going. Looks more like a town home then a restaurant, maybe we will be able to see final product by spring. I think the fellows name is Scott Emerick.

Anyone have anything on Cremant - Madrona neighborhood - 34th?

Who, when, what?

formerly of Le Pichet. I think they have been talking about a Feb./March opening.

Update on Cremant in today's P-I: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/255985_dining18.html

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

Has anyone tried Lloyds Rocket? It's the former abandoned gas station that sits at the weird intersection at Boren/Yesler/12th. I'm sentimental about the site and glad they kept the original sign.

Chris

Has anyone tried Lloyds Rocket?  It's the former abandoned gas station that sits at the weird intersection at Boren/Yesler/12th.  I'm sentimental about the site and glad they kept the original sign.

Rave review in the Weekly this week. I'm glad they got their liquor license; I remember reading that they were having trouble with that because of being so close to the elementary school.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Has anyone tried Lloyds Rocket?  It's the former abandoned gas station that sits at the weird intersection at Boren/Yesler/12th.  I'm sentimental about the site and glad they kept the original sign.

Rave review in the Weekly this week. I'm glad they got their liquor license; I remember reading that they were having trouble with that because of being so close to the elementary school.

I can't beleive that review, I mean I can for the food..........but the affordability. Pretty odd location for $20 entrees and even odder for no happy hour and app's starting at $10. I like the decor of the place, but nobody's ever there and I was really turned off after spending $100 on just beer/wine and app's.

Sign is gone.

Liquor license is posted.

Just stopped in at the new wine bar on top of Queen Anne: Bricco. They've only been open for a short time, but already the place is amazingly well-attended, especially for a weeknight. The space has great tall ceilings, dark wood, lots of seats at the bar and a wine cellar that takes up approximately 1/6 of their floor space, with bottles stacked floor to ceiling.

The daily menu consists of numerous rotating glass pours, with a definite, but not all-pervasive Italian theme. To go along with your wines, there's a list of about 20 cheeses and 20 cured meats, with which you can build your own sampler plate. They also have several paninis (including 3 "children’s paninis), 3 salads and 5 dinner entrees. They've got a caprese with buffalo mozzarella on the menu, too, which rates high in my book. And something with white truffles as well... the place pleasantly reeked of them.

Since I was just "checking it out" I only had a glass of wine, a light, fruity Italian Dolcetto. It took me a little while to put my order in, and honestly I almost left when after I'd been sitting a couple of minutes a gentleman slid onto a bar stool next to me and was immediately served. I decided to give the place the benefit of the doubt, as I suppose a brand new place deserves. Once.

I can't comment on the food, but the couple next to me had a nice looking beef tenderloin with a huge plate of asparagus. I believe I overheard them saying it was tasty, but perhaps a bit gristly. I'll be back to investigate further....

Bricco

1525 Queen Anne Ave N

206-285-4900

Edited by dandelion (log)

Taqueria Tropical (across the street from the Westin downtown) is gone. It used to be really good, but they'd definitely gone downhill over the past year or so with new management, crappy service and uncommited employees.

On Leary just north of 43rd, on the east side of the street, is a new restaurant in that gray house that used to be, I think, a place for private parties. It's called Bourbon and Barbeque or something similar.

On Leary just north of 43rd, on the east side of the street, is a new restaurant in that gray house that used to be, I think, a place for private parties. It's called Bourbon and Barbeque or something similar.

"Bourbon & BBQ grill", Are they open?

"Bourbon & BBQ grill", Are they open?

I believe they opened last Friday. I haven't been yet.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting