• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 2)

Okay, I just emailed Vij's and Vikram said that he's coming to Seattle in September to look at spaces for a new Vij's and will decide after that trip.

Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Be still my beating heart!!

Born Free, Now Expensive

Okay, I just emailed Vij's and Vikram said that he's coming to Seattle in September to look at spaces for a new Vij's and will decide after that trip.

Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Be still my beating heart!!

One of my favorite restaurants in both my home town and my favorite "weekend away" place? Life is too good!

A.

At the base of the Seattle Heights building (2nd Ave - 2600 block) is something called Le P'tit Bistro. It has some very traditional French menu items, crepes, weekend brunch, weekday lunch and dinner. Anyone eaten there?

Not exactly new, though their second place qualifies, but new to me:

Casuelita's

Had a different style mojito - martini style, not very minty or limey - a rum martini?

Nice plates of fresh food. Cooler to sit in the bar than the mezzanine restaurant, at least on a warm night. Colorful, light food, a bit different in flavors. I didn't get anything that claimed to be spicy, so can't comment on the heat.

A few weeks ago I raved about Columbia City Bakery's Pain de Campagne that I had tried at Vios, and since then I've been hitting almost every Wednesday Columbia City Farmer's Market they've been at just to pick up that same loaf of bread. Actually, I've been blowing about $10 each time to try other lovely goodies they lay out on their table with generous baskets of samples. I've had the pain au chocolat (made with Valrhona, I think), a pistachio roll (kind of a sticky roll made with pistachio paste and pastry cream), chocolate chip cookies, a croissant, a macaroon, and probably some of the most fabulous challah I've had locally, if ever. I've really liked just about everything, and loved quite a few items - that challah is incredibly light and luscious, and the pain de campagne is real bread with character, truly the best loaf I've had in Seattle and almost to the quality of Ken's in Portland (although they got nothing on Ken's croissants). These guys really know their bread. Last I've heard, they're scheduled to open their storefront in October, but hopefully it'll be sooner.

At the base of the Seattle Heights building (2nd Ave - 2600 block) is something called Le P'tit Bistro. It has some very traditional French menu items, crepes, weekend brunch, weekday lunch and dinner. Anyone eaten there?

Not yet - but I have to say I just walked by it for the first time yesterday. They only had one table going and it was about 12:30 PM. (the food looked good however from what I could see) I am going to try to get over there next week for lunch to try it out.

I noticed a new burger place in Ballard between Ben & Jerry's and Cupckae Royale called "Zak's: A burger joint." Has anyone tried it yet? (I was coming back from breakfast so didn't go).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I tried Zak's two weekends ago. I suppose it's very much like Kidd Valley, and when I was there (starving before seeing a movie) it really hit the spot. Fries are nice and crispy, burgers were fine, and they have beer.

Also, if you have any vintage Seattle, or particularly Ballard memorabilia and are willing to part with it to help decorate their walls, you might get a free burger.

I tried Zak's two weekends ago.  I suppose it's very much like Kidd Valley, and when I was there (starving before seeing a movie) it really hit the spot.  Fries are nice and crispy, burgers were fine, and they have beer.

Also, if you have any vintage Seattle, or particularly Ballard memorabilia and are willing to part with it to help decorate their walls, you might get a free burger.

I'm sure someone can correct me, but isn't this the same Zak's that use to be down the way across from QFC and old library? Or am I thinking of a different burger joint?

I think you are thinking of Scooters. Or maybe Zesto's.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

This may be old news by now, but I just saw this about the new location for Boat Street:

http://uptownseattle.blogspot.com/2005/08/...n-for-real.html

Interesting location...

Yes, interesting location indeedy. At first glance it seems like a far cry from the original Boat Street Cafe location, but some of those NW Work Loft spaces have superb westerly water views out over Elliott Bay, so the close-to-the-water semi-industrial feel might have some carry over from the original spot. It will be fun to see what kind of space they will create as well as what they select for the menu.

I noticed a new burger place in Ballard between Ben & Jerry's and Cupckae Royale called "Zak's: A burger joint."  Has anyone tried it yet? (I was coming back from breakfast so didn't go).

The buns are clearly the highlight @ Zak's. I noted substantial "heft", a sprinkling of sesame and poppy seeds, and the all-important brush-with-buttery-flavored-Stuff-and-grill-on-flat griddle. I complimented the owner on the buns, and he said they're distributed by, but not baked by Gai's. Curious. Anyway, highly noteworthy, as was the house-made tartar.

The burgers, though, are bland. Not much beefiness, not nearly enough salt/pepper. Bonus points for using Tillamook, though. Bacon was a writeoff - not crispy - sorta cooked into the meat a la mom's meatloaf. The double-bacon-cheeseburger was around $12 with fries, to my memory - a little higher than expected, perhaps.

If A Burger Place on the Ave would switch to these buns, they'd really be on to something. But I think I'll stick to a snack at Cupcake Royale in this neighborhood, when Red Mill is only three minutes away by car.

Eric (Edited To Remove A Scataological Typo Regarding Seeds)

Edited by VibeGuy (log)

This may be old news by now, but I just saw this about the new location for Boat Street:

http://uptownseattle.blogspot.com/2005/08/...n-for-real.html

Interesting location...

Yes, interesting location indeedy. At first glance it seems like a far cry from the original Boat Street Cafe location, but some of those NW Work Loft spaces have superb westerly water views out over Elliott Bay, so the close-to-the-water semi-industrial feel might have some carry over from the original spot. It will be fun to see what kind of space they will create as well as what they select for the menu.

If had had seen the space before they came in you would be quite amazed with what they have done, regarding the exterior. The space will seem to be a little getaway from the busy street above, with lots of vegitation.

Simpatico in the Wallingford center is gone. A new restaurant, Lux, is going in it's place. The guys doing construction said it will be "asian american". Like Wallingford need another asian fusion restaurant.........

I love quoting myself! Lux is now closed. I guess Wallinford didn't need another asian fusion restaurant!

Oh, and Wonderbar was locked up tight Monday night. Even though the sign says they are open daily. Hmmmmm..........

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I've heard murmurings that May is looking for a buyer. Wallingford is a tough place to operate retail/restaurant projects, I think.

another asian fusion restaurant!

Oh, and Wonderbar was locked up tight Monday night. Even though the sign says they are open daily. Hmmmmm..........

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Has Jitterbug re-opened yet? It's hard to tell as I am always going past it by bus.

I've heard murmurings that May is looking for a buyer. Wallingford is a tough place to operate retail/restaurant projects, I think.

so sad, if it's true. i'll be curious if they really are putting it on the market. the actual building there is a gorgeous artifact, in addition to some top-notch grub.

I don't have any corroborating information, but the source tells me that various clashes of ego have something to do with it. Also even with the fairly decent traffic that they still seem to have, it's going to be pretty hard to make that initial investment back.

so sad, if it's true. i'll be curious if they really are putting it on the market. the actual building there is a gorgeous artifact, in addition to some top-notch grub.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

If everything goes right, a little bird told me that Sam Hassan's new place, Samba, should be open sometime next week. Keep your fingers crossed.

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com