• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 2)

The "coming soon" BBQ place on Lake City is open? Cool! I've been waiting and hoping that they were for real. :biggrin:

And open until 3 a.m. on weekends? Pretty optimistic, but I have to say, my goodness, things are looking up!!

SusieQ

(haven't had BBQ since the Cave Man on Lake City closed about 8 years ago)

Anybody know the ETA on the new & improved Luau?

Finally! When I drove by last Thursday, it had reopened. I haven't been in yet but, from the quick view I got, it looked pretty much the same but spruced up.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Not really a restaurant closure but, Vern Fonk has emptied out their office in the Stone Way Center. I think it would be the perfect place for a restaurant.

Edited by elswinger (log)

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

OK chuck you have just been appointed the guy to do the taste test. They have been putting that place together forever. It seems like over a year. I  have this feeling it is not related to Taste of Soul. I may be wrong but I saw a guy unlocking the door and he was a young lawyer looking whitebread guy. If they have good stuff they may do pretty well over there.

My understanding from one who contemplated employment there was that yes, it is related to Taste of Soul.

Tutta Bella (Stone Way) update:

They have opaque platic sheeting over the windows, which I take as a good sign that there is construction going on. If anyone eats at the Columbia City location, casually ask when they think the Wallingford location will be open.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Maybe the guy I saw was the chef or construction engineer with keys. To hear that it is related to Willies (which is one of my faves) make it that more appealing.

I *attempted* to eat there tonight, but with a line that snaked through the cramped waiting area and a "cash only" policy (they won't be set up to accept credit/debit for another 2 weeks), it was not to be. The menu was impressive--especially the sides and desserts.--but the service seemed slooow. There must've been 30 customers, and only 2 of them had any food. Will try again another day.

Ribs and Thangs is open in downtown Kent at 313 W. Harrison - a welcome addition to the south end. Stopped in last night and took home a rib dinner with sides of mac 'n' cheese and baked beans and a pulled pork sandwich with fries. Also ordered cornbread, but what I got was hushpuppies (which is fine by me). Dang it if it wasn't all pretty darn tasty. Open until at least 9:00 p.m. M-Sa, closed Su. In addition to the usual BBQ lineup, they also have fried catfish, a good-looking pork chop sandwich, and a few Cajun dishes - jambalaya, red beans & rice, gumbo, etc.

Maybe the guy I saw was the chef or construction engineer with keys. To hear that it is related to Willies (which is one of my faves) make it that more appealing.

I *attempted* to eat there tonight, but with a line that snaked through the cramped waiting area and a "cash only" policy (they won't be set up to accept credit/debit for another 2 weeks), it was not to be. The menu was impressive--especially the sides and desserts.--but the service seemed slooow. There must've been 30 customers, and only 2 of them had any food. Will try again another day.

Made it over tonight. As mentioned above the service is slow and the lines are not short. Went about 930 and it wasn't too bad. The blond guy seems to be the manager and works the front taking orders. We ordered the 2-way combo with ribs and brisket which comes with two sides, a brisket sandwich which comes with one side, and the 7-Up cake. They were out of greens and 7-Up cake but they pulled a cake out of the oven while we were waiting for our food but no greens.

The brisket had a good flavour and a good smoke ring but wasn't as tender as I was expecting. Good sauce of the sweet variety on top and matched well with the smoke. The ribs were better than the brisket I thought, better smoke penetration, and whiel not fall of the bone, they were easily consumed. As mentioned above it is cash only for the next two weeks and the credit card machine may possibly arrive sooner as I heard the blond guy talking to someone on the phone that they would be getting an electrician out the next day to hook up another phone line. Lots of sides available and they will smoke or fry whole turkeys for you. The hours as posted really are until midnight M-Th, til 3am Friday and Saturday, and until 10 on Sunday.

Rocky

Edited by rockdoggydog (log)

Whoops! Forgot to post about it, I went to Pomegranate a few weeks ago for lunch, I was in the area setting up an event for work at Sahalee and it was on the way back. Had the Margerita type firebread and the calamari. The firebread is basically a neopolitan style pizza, I can't remember exactly what the name was of the one I got but it was a nice simple tomato, basil, and mozz combo, light sauce and a little olive oil on top. It was definitely a good size and could be shared if you had a salad or app. The flavors were fresh and bright with good ingredients and the crust was pretty good. The calamari was pretty standard fried calamari with a good aioli to go with it. The prices were fair and the desserts looked great but I was too full. Definitely worth going to.

Rocky

Whoops! Forgot to post about it, I went to Pomegranate a few weeks ago for lunch, I was in the area setting up an event for work at Sahalee and it was on the way back. Had the Margerita type firebread and the calamari. The firebread is basically a neopolitan style pizza, I can't remember exactly what the name was of the one I got but it was a nice simple tomato, basil, and mozz combo, light sauce and a little olive oil on top. It was definitely a good size and could be shared if you had a salad or app. The flavors were fresh and bright with good ingredients and the crust was pretty good. The calamari was pretty standard fried calamari with a good aioli to go with it. The prices were fair and the desserts looked great but I was too full. Definitely worth going to.

Rocky

We've eaten two dinners at Pomegranate recently. It's a pretty nice menu. There are enough appetizers that you could make a meal from them, several salads, maybe ten firebreads, and a selection of entrees. Last Friday my sister brought in some freshly-picked figs from her tree and the chef used them to make us a very tasty fig dessert. Pricing is a little higher than I would like (e.g., the steak entree is around $27) but we'll be going back for sure.

I heard a rumor that Vij's (from Canada) is looking at spaces in Seattle and partnering up with the Wild Ginger people. Does anyone know the scoop? I'm dying to know!!!

If true, let's hope Vij is in control of the food and the WG people stick to designing the space...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I heard a rumor that Vij's (from Canada) is looking at spaces in Seattle and partnering up with the Wild Ginger people. Does anyone know the scoop? I'm dying to know!!!

If true, let's hope Vij is in control of the food and the WG people stick to designing the space...

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Vancouver is so close, couldn't they just work with the person who designed their space there? I love that space! I don't think they need to get WG involved at all. I'll tell them that :raz:

Practice Random Acts of Toasting