• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 2)

[Moderator note: This is part of an extended topic that became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it into shorter segment; the preceding part of this discussion is here: [seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations. Openings (Part 1)]

Briazz bit it, changing to Organic to go (at least at 5th and Union.) O To Go - bought Briazz stores in Seattle, Los Angeles, and Orange County.

Edited by Mjx
Host note added. (log)

Noticed yesterday that Tulley's Coffee Shop in the Market (Economy Market Building) on Union and First across the street from Union Restaurant is closed. The windows are papered up and the sign on the outside wall is gone.

Also, it looks like the Crepe de France booth across from DiLaurenti's is going to be available soon.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

And just exactly what is going on at the corner of Taylor and Aloha (one block east of Crow) ?? Hmmm?

No signs yet, but I'm thinking its gonna be a restaurant. At least I'm hoping so :raz:

Edited by malarkey (log)

Born Free, Now Expensive

I was thinking thsat myself.

Way down in Tacoma - Sea Grill, little sister to Seattle's Waterfront Grill opens Wednesday. Pricepoint is high, but the horseradish laced red sauce on the crab cocktail is addictive. 15th and Commerce/Pacific.

malarkey -- i've been dying to know the same thing. that space has been vacant for as long as i've lived on queen anne. there was an "application for liquor license" up before they started major construction, which (hopefully!) is a good sign.

or it could just be another convenience store selling forties....

it used to be a convenience store, with very empty shelves. I'd only been in it once. You can still see the sign sitting inside the place. If there was a liquor license app posted, that's a good sign!

(edit: can't spell!)

Edited by malarkey (log)

Born Free, Now Expensive

If you ever want to know the "who's behind" a business opening go to the following locations:

The Secretary of State's Online Corporations Database. This will tell you that Veil LLC is registered by Erik Lindstrom of Seattle. (It also includes his registered address, which I am not including here.)

You can also check the Business Records Database. Here you will see that Veil LLC is located at 555 Aloha, STE 100 etc...

There are more sites that provide this type of information out there... The best information to get off the posted license is the UBI/Tax Registration Number. That number will open many doors for your search.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Has anyone been into the Black Cat Cafe? It is just down the street from the University Zoka's on Blakely Avenue in the University/Montlake area?

" You soo tall, but you so skinny. I like you, you come home with me, I feed you!"- random japanese food worker.

Walking to school tonight I see that a new meat shop is going into that vacant spot on Pike Place between Post Alley and Pine next to the Juice Emporium. It's going to be called Stewart's Meats.

Can the market (both Pike Place Market and the economical market) support three meat shops?

Edited for grammer, Kelsy Grammer.

Edited by Really Nice! (log)

Drink!

It's going to be called Stewart's Meats.

Uh uhuhuh.. is that going to be the same Stewart's Meats as in the one in McKenna?? The one with the killer beef jerky?!

Born Free, Now Expensive

This P-I article says that Osteria La Spiga is planning to open at 12th and Pine. I assume that means they'll be moving out of their Broadway location. I'm certainly glad they'll still be in the neighborhood. The accompanying article about Broadway mentions Pho Cyclo moving in. It's the former Simply Thai space. Even though, as the article points out, there's already Than Bros. on the next block, I'm looking forward to Cyclo since I've heard such good reviews of their south location.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I don't think Thanh Bros. and Pho Cyclo are comparable in any way except that they both happen to have Pho.

Thanh Bros. knows that you're going to order Pho so they have part of your order on your table before you've even placed the order. They have a high number of table turns and produces pretty good quality products because they just specialize in the one thing. (I order the vegetarian version).

Pho Cyclo has a different approach to the interior design and customer experience Since they are right next to the corporate offices of Starbucks and otherwise industrial areas, they carved out a niche as a slightly upmarket version of the business district lunch spot. They have a longer menu, mixed modalities in service (different takeout and dine-in options), and seem to be more a "Vietnamese restaurant" than a Pho restaurant. The service is a bit more sluggish but maybe a little more personal.

I've never ordered pho at Pho Cyclo; I've had tofu banh mi or some tofu salad, and except for the sign on the door I barely noticed that they even had pho. The food is decent quality, but a more pleasant atmosphere goes a long way, especially in a place that is still offering fairly low prices.

I don't have a strong preference for one over the other, but I think you'd go to Thanh Bros. when you want good pho and to Pho Cyclo when you want a little more variety. I have a strong appreciation for short menus that do basically one thing really well, but I also like having a nice modest variety of ptions for other good, simple food.

This P-I article says that Osteria La Spiga is planning to open at 12th and Pine. I assume that means they'll be moving out of their Broadway location. I'm certainly glad they'll still be in the neighborhood. The accompanying article about Broadway mentions Pho Cyclo moving in. It's the former Simply Thai space. Even though, as the article points out, there's already Than Bros. on the next block, I'm looking forward to Cyclo since I've heard such good reviews of their south location.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Also, it looks like the Crepe de France booth across from DiLaurenti's is going to be available soon.

That just makes me sad :sad:

They are moving downstairs into the old No Boundaries Cafe space.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

So does anyone know what went on with the Savoy Indian restaurant in Bellevue (off of 148th Ave)? Just when I was about to eat there after a strong recommendation from a friend, they've close it down and made it into something else. According to the sign outside, it sounds like it is still managed by the same people, but the food/menu has been retooled and it now also has a new name (what it was called exactly escapes me). I could be wrong but I thought I saw the words "Indian style Chinese food" on the sign. Has anyone eaten there recently?

Edited by Nana_Kat (log)

Should be open next week - Geraldine's Counter in Columbia City - breakfast and lunch, closed on Mondays. Same folks as El Greco on Capitol Hill.

I got to go to one of the trial runs last week. It's a nice space, and the menu looks good (though it was a work in progress when I was there). Breakfast includes the killer french toast, my favourite in all the world. Seems like a great spot for those who live in that neck of the woods.

- S

At 78th and Greenwood (in the space formerly occupied by a short lived drumming studio) is a sign-"Coming Soon-Don Cordone Argentinian Panderia." I'm not sure what an Argentinan bakery is like but it sounds like a cool addition to the neighborhood.

Also, at 61st and Phinney, on the ground floor of a yet to be finished condo complex, is (also not open yet) "Fresh Flours-Fine Pastries and Coffee." I'm trying not to get my hopes up that the place really will have fine pastries, but I am anxious to check it out.

RIP Torrefazione cafes--another victim of big business...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/busi...3_coffee14.html

According to the barristas at the Fremont cafe they'll be closing sometime this Fall. At least I have a few months to find a new hangout in Fremont that will let me sit around & gabble with my friends in Italian for a couple of hours without bugging us to buy more than a cup of coffee :sad:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

...will let me sit around & gabble with my friends in Italian for a couple of hours without bugging us to buy more than a cup of coffee  :sad:

Probably a big part of why the Torrefazione cafes aren't profitable....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946