• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 2)

It was in the papers a while ago. Also something in Canada.

the news

This makes me so happy! I can't beleive I missed that in the paper, I remember reading the rest of the article.

They must be a bit behind. The article says they were going to try to open in October.

thinking of truffled fries with my favorite (Major D) coffee. :wub:

cburnsi

new bar Vessel is open on 5th next to the 5th ave theater. Jamie from Lumiere Tasting Bar in vancouver is now living here and running it. menu, space and cocktails are beautiful. Dayne had some major ice envy going on! Nabil formerly of Balmar is also going to be behind the bar. cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

The space that housed th old Asteroid Cafe on 45th is opening as the Bottle Rocket Cafe. They were painting the sign today.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

A couple of new places that have opened up in the Greenwood neighborhood of North Seattle that are worth trying out:

Fu Shen Chinese Seafood Restaurant (9019 Aurora Ave. N.) They have homemade fresh noodles ($2.50 extra) and their combo lunches can be ordered on Saturdays (11 a.m.-3 p.m.)! $4.95 for your choice of Kung Po chicken, Chicken with broccoli, chicken with cashews, Mongolian Beef or Chicken, Szchuan Beef or Chicken, Curried Beef, Almond Chicken, plus soup, an appetizer, chow mein and rice. For a dollar more, choose from Prawns (Kung Po, with cashews, with broccoli, sweet and sour or Szechuan style), Kung Po squid, Beef with scallop.

I had the lunch combo with the prawns and broccoli. I chose egg flower soup (nicely done, with lots of crunchy corn) and the appetizer was 2 deep fried chicken tenders with a soy based sauce. The prawns and broccoli entree was in a very light sauce and also had a nice quantity of carrots thrown in for color and crunch.

Prices are about average. Fu Shen is in the building that used to house the House of Pizza.

If you have a sensitivity to gluten or just like great pastry and cakes, head for DaVinci Bakery and Cafe (about 95th and Greenwood Ave. N. 206-782-5735) . They also serve sandwiches and have a fairly wide ranging menu of coffee drinks. What makes their mochas a little unusual (and more tasty) is that they use homemade ganache instead of chocolate syrup, and their orange flavored latte includes orange peel floating on top. They are most famous for their baked goods, which are all gluten free (some are also dairy free and egg free and sugar free). Their "Wheatless in Seattle" products can be found in some markets. You can also order their cookies, cakes, breads and muffins by calling them.

Today we shared a large slice of cardamom bundt cake. Dense, tasting and smelling of cardamom, it had just the right amount of sweetness and was reasonably priced at $2.95. There was a very lethal looking chocolate espresso ganache cardamom 4-layer cake ($5.95/slice) that was staring at us through the cooler window, but we passed on that this time. They also sell gluten free bread, brownies and rolls which they make onsite. DaVinci's is definitely a great addition to the Greenwood neighborhood, and a godsend for people with wheat allergies.

Miulang

Has anyone been by the new La Spiga space on 12th? I have called to ask about an opening date but their voice mail box is always full, and I wonder if maybe they have a sign up in their window with a date.

I ran into Pietro at Pike Place the other day and he said they will be opening at the end of the month. I'm on the email list and will post here when they send out the exact date.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Sweet Sue was on "The Works" tonight - opening night for Cocolatida (or whatever the right name is...) Waiting to hear the reports - I am up to my ears in exhausting projects and eating has become fuel only (okay, I lie - I had a nice meal at the Wellington and 'Q from Jones, can't complain.)

so what's the deal with the pizza place at the end of 2nd Ave., just down the street from the 5 Point?? Sorry can't remember the name... but the sign suggests it's wood fired pizza...?

I ate there the other day, mediocre at best. The pizza is from an gas powered oven that simply looks like it can can handle wood. The pizza's themselves are a bit doughy and when i was there underdone.

Sorry can't remember the name...

It's called Bambinos... I think it's supposed to be NY style.

That's it, and its at the end of 4th Ave, not 2nd. Thanks for the feedback folks.

here's a website for them - www.getbambinospizza.com

I haven't eaten there yet, I'm tired of all of the places that seem like chains.

Speaking of did anyone eat at that Amante's place yet?

Oliver's Twist is open and I like it a lot. It's a nice, big space and service was very friendly-they are going for a comfortable, neighborhood-y type place, and it works. Thumbs up on both the cocktails and food. The chocolate gelato on salted peanut butter caramel was fantastic and it was a good sized portion (I expected something dainty). The people next to us had the grilled chocolate marshmallow brioche, which looked oozy and wonderful and was also an ample size. The garlic truffle popcorn was a nice munchie to have with drinks (I especially liked my elderberry/rose/gin cocktail). The food menu is all snacks/appetizers (along the lines of blue cheese stuffed dates) and a few desserts-it's a fairly small menu. Nothing is over $10. We got out of there for less than we usually spend at Sambar, which was nice (though it might not be a fair comparison, since I usually get more substantial food at Sambar. Speaking of which, they have a cardoon soup right now which is wonderful).

Edited by kiliki (log)

has anyone been to the new Barolo on Westlake? I drove by last night and it looked beautiful inside, big chandeliers......

I went to an event there - it was awhile ago, but I don't recall being overly impressed with anything, and some things seemed wrong for the place - I think there was a tuna tartar that tasted Japanese. Really a pretty room though.

Oliver's Twist is open and I like it a lot.

Where is this place?

On Greenwood - 6800 N block - next to the nice craftsman furniture place. Watched it closely, chatted up Dan and Sarah, haven't been in. Glad it is good!!!

[Moderator note: This topic continues here, [seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 3)]

Edited by Mjx
Host note added. (log)