• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 2)

On my way into work this morning, I walked past the old University Book Store location at 4th and University and saw Purple Cafe and Wine Bar. The space was empty last time I walked by (I don't usually walk that way). Does anyone know anything about it? Anyone been there? I did find a website for them. Apparently they are in Woodinville and Kirkland, too. I think I remember seeing a post somewhere on the site, saying that the Woodinville cafe was pretty good.

M. Thomas

On my way into work this morning, I walked past the old University Book Store location at 4th and University and saw Purple Cafe and Wine Bar.  The space was empty last time I walked by (I don't usually walk that way).  Does anyone know anything about it?  Anyone been there?  I did find a website for them.  Apparently they are in Woodinville and Kirkland, too.  I think I remember seeing a post somewhere on the site, saying that the Woodinville cafe was pretty good.

A review elsewhere.

mouthfulsfood

Checked out Anita's Bistro, the new Indian joint that took over the Sakura space in Mapleleaf off Lake City Way and 15th.

We three arrived mid day on last Saturday and there were maybe three or four other tables.

The owners were very nice and they've done a nice job with the decor in the dining area. The food was great for a buffet; very tender chicken curry, great veggie dishes. The spices were even and the food was hot.

The tandoori chicken was a little o-d. I think holding the food was a problem and they'd do better with a little more volume, customer-wise.

They didn't charge for our 6yr old which was nice and definitely not the norm compared to other Indian buffets that we frequent. They even comp'ed a nice coconut ice cream on the way out. Based on our experience, we'll go back for sure to try out the full dinner service.

Mandalay Cafe in Wallingford is closing. Last chance to taste that fabulous nut curry. Our server said the owners are moving to Canada (was it something we said?) and that the chef from the W Hotel bought the place.

Chris

Mandalay Cafe in Wallingford is closing.  Last chance to taste that fabulous nut curry.  Our server said the owners are moving to Canada (was it something we said?) and that the chef from the W Hotel bought the place. 

Chris

From what I read in the PI, I'm looking forward to the new incarnation. Tilth

Tilth sounds very cool, but Mandalay Cafe will be a real loss!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Mandalay Cafe in Wallingford is closing.  Last chance to taste that fabulous nut curry.  Our server said the owners are moving to Canada (was it something we said?) and that the chef from the W Hotel bought the place. 

Chris

From what I read in the PI, I'm looking forward to the new incarnation. Tilth

Tilth will be located less than a block away from Smash Wine Bar. Great place to have a drink before dinner. We went back this week for a second time - most enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

The new restaurant taking the place of Barbacoa, Portage according to the sign out front and in the times article: http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/...5&date=20060705 is due to open sometime in August. They have a placeholder website: http://www.portagerestaurant.com/ and a sample menu posted in the window so everyone can get a chance to "lèche les vitrines" :laugh:

Luscious smell like love

Essential black milk worship

It whispers to me...

...Chocolate

According to Nancy in today's Times:

Two-week-old Saint-Germain (2811 A. E. Madison St., Seattle; 206-323-9800) lives just across the Rue Madison from neighboring Rover's and a couple doors away from Voila! Bistrot. This tiny cafe and wine bar, named as homage to owner Jean-Michel Omnès' favorite Paris quarter, specializes in tartines, open-faced sandwiches served on country bread.

I love tartines. Anyone been?

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Okay, everyone in town has commented on the one word restaurant names - new trend:

Physically aggressive names - Crush, Smash, Twist, Twisted Cork, Oliver's Twist.

Any others?

And, anyone know what's going in just south of Rendevous? Pretty far along, no signs. Lots of fancy lights, kitchen equipment, slate wall.

I think Ethan's Italian place is across the street with the Express Construction sign in the window.

Two-week-old Saint-Germain (2811 A. E. Madison St., Seattle; 206-323-9800) lives just across the Rue Madison from neighboring Rover's and a couple doors away from Voila! Bistrot. This tiny cafe and wine bar, named as homage to owner Jean-Michel Omnès' favorite Paris quarter, specializes in tartines, open-faced sandwiches served on country bread.

We took some friends there for lunch yesterday, it is fantastic! wonderful tartines all about $6.50. beautiful tiny little room and Jean-Michel is the best host! They have some nice soups and desserts also. Wines by the glass, half and bottle as well as a good selection of nice liquor.

Go go and have a tartine, i don't know anyone else doing them like this in seattle!

We took some friends there for lunch yesterday, it is fantastic! wonderful tartines all about $6.50. beautiful tiny little room and Jean-Michel is the best host! They have some nice soups and desserts also. Wines by the glass, half and bottle as well as a good selection of nice liquor.

Go go and have a tartine, i don't know anyone else doing them like this in seattle!

They were talking about this on Tom Douglas Saturday - along with Dinette and the bruschetta lady at the Ballard and Columbia City Farmer's Markets.

Went again today! tartine with butter, ham and cantel soooooo delish! Dayne had the duck with crottin! 1/2 bottle of viogne (sp) . they have lots of half bottles.

11am to midnight (weekends until 2am)

Checked out Anita's Bistro, the new Indian joint that took over the Sakura space in Mapleleaf off Lake City Way and 15th.

We three arrived mid day on last Saturday and there were maybe three or four other tables.

The owners were very nice and they've done a nice job with the decor in the dining area.  The food was great for a buffet; very tender chicken curry, great veggie dishes.  The spices were even and the food was hot. 

The tandoori chicken was a little o-d.  I think holding the food was a problem and they'd do better with a little more volume, customer-wise.

They didn't charge for our 6yr old which was nice and definitely not the norm compared to other Indian buffets that we frequent.  They even comp'ed a nice coconut ice cream on the way out.  Based on our experience, we'll go back for sure to try out the full dinner service.

Had lunch there today (Friday). Only one single diner when we got there (around 11:30 a.m.). But the food was fresh tasting (great pakora, chicken curry, saag, dal and a very interesting raw, marinated carrot stick dish (near the rice pudding) that had a very nicely spiced, intriguing flavor (tasted like it had lemon in it). Turns out the owner said the recipe came from her aunt in Canada and contained tamarind paste. Their mango lhassi is very delicious too. And their naan is very fresh and the basket everflowing. Definitely will go back there to try dinner.

Their spread isn't as ambitious as Kanishka in Redmond, but the food is fresher tasting. The tandoori was perfect today.

Parking was great for lunch; Pagliacci next door doesn't open until 4 p.m., so the parking lot in between the two buildings was wide open! Oh yeah, they're not open on Mondays.

Miulang

Edited by miulang (log)

Second Ave - Belltown - is ripe for openings and construction:

The japanese place where Falling Water and Alexandria's failed is ready (or open)

Karma - south of Rendevous, looks close,

Buddha Bar, south of Noodle Ranch, missed their opening date - can't tell how close they are,

Ethan's place, south of Marjorie's (?) is under construction.

To the north - a new pizza place, according to the paper.

In other news, construction has begun on Daniel Brauns' Oliver's Twist on Greenwood (68**)

Bistro M??? opened in Madrona - in the old hat shop, south of the Ale House I think. Traditional French.

Has anyone heard of Six Tables, in Kirkland? It appears to have, literally, six tables, and only one seating each night. There's a very traditional prix fixe menu (chateaubriand, rack of lamb) in the window, but with no "prix". The owner is Cameron Kee. It's close to my sister and brother-in-law's house, so it might make a special gift for them, if the food is nice and the cost not astronomical. Anyone know about it?

Chris

Has anyone heard of Six Tables, in Kirkland?  It appears to have, literally, six tables, and only one seating each night.  There's a very traditional prix fixe menu (chateaubriand, rack of lamb) in the window, but with no "prix".  The owner is Cameron Kee.  It's close to my sister and brother-in-law's house, so it might make a special gift for them, if the food is nice and the cost not astronomical.  Anyone know about it?

Chris

it's a chain, and not a very good one. i'm wary of an upscale restaurant that doesn't even spell Seattle correctly in their website link. you can read more on their main site Six Tables. Mr. Kee and an associate was at Rover's last fall to check out the Seattle dining scene and see if it was "worthy" of a Six Table.

Has anyone heard of Six Tables, in Kirkland? 

Chris

it's a chain, and not a very good one. i

Thanks for the warning, cupcakequeen. I have to admit the logo reminded me uncomfortably of the King's Table buffet my grandparents took us to when we were little, because it was all-you-can-eat and gave a solid senior discount. I have happy memories of King's Table, but it's probably not the image Six Tables is going for...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry I didn't get around to going. I keep forgetting that block is cursed. There isn't enough parking to serve all the buildings in the area. They need to pick a square block to tear down and rebuild over some underground parking.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Given that approximately a kajillion people live walking distance from the former Red Line and that parking on Bellevue there is almost always trivial because the turnover is so high, I'm guessing something else did them in.

Oh, also, there's a pay lot a block away, north of the Starbucks. Rarely full.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Im sorry to see Red Line go. It was good, independent, and unique. Its also too bad that they have to open another pizza place when there are 6+ pizza and italian restaurants within 10 blocks.

Oh and too the people who keep thinking that parking sucks in capitol hill, its because of you why the city wants to try to eliminate cars in the city and why they are trying to build more public transportation. Capitol Hill isnt that big, its easy to get around my walking, its safe, and if you do want to park there is always tons of street parking. Leave the car at home and start walking, it will be good for you, I promise.

So why did Red Line close?? Well since you asked I have a feeling the rent is high (big place at the corner of a busy intersection) and they were not doing enough business. Sure it may look busy at times, but to sell $10 pizza's that most people share, they would have to be selling them all day (not just after 5) and they would have to sell like 10+ per hour, 7 days a week. I think when they started selling pizza they were trying to get more business and it turned out that it wasnt enough to make that much of a profit.

Edited by pupkinpie2 (log)