• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 2)

Went the to the Umi Sake House pre-Opening event last night. I like what they've done with the place.  I didn't try any food as I was off to dinner at Union right after (Great meal BTW!)

I was there that night as well. We had a very nice platter of super-fresh sashimi. The standout were the scallops, in a light creamy sauce served piled in a hollowed out lemon bowl.

I also thought the garden room was really fantastic. Apparently they have some kind of elaborate snow machine that is supposed to make it feel like a snowy day in Kyoto. I can't wait to see that in action.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Che Argento at 78th and Greenwood (next to Pete's) is finally open! After teasing us for more than a year with the smell of bread baking for their wholesale operation, they finally opened their cafe. It's open 9-7 daily and has a very nice looking menu of sandwiches (a tenderloin sandwich caught my eye), salads, soups and pizzas. I wish I could remember more of the menu, since it wasn't your typical American style sandwich place, but I'll report back after eating there. They are going to try opening earlier for breakfast but aren't sure how that will go, since "it won't be typical American breakfast." Liquor license is pending.

Che Argento at 78th and Greenwood (next to Pete's) is finally open! After teasing us for more than a year with the smell of bread baking for their wholesale operation, they finally opened their cafe. It's open 9-7 daily and has a very nice looking menu of sandwiches (a tenderloin sandwich caught my eye), salads, soups and pizzas. I wish I could remember more of the menu, since it wasn't your typical American style sandwich place, but I'll report back after eating there. They are going to try opening earlier for breakfast but aren't sure how that will go, since "it won't be typical American breakfast." Liquor license is pending.

And a dinner menu will arrive with the liquor license.

Wonderful bread (soft white interior, crunchy crust) served with two sauces/dips and medium thick pizza (white pizza was good). Sandwiches looked huge and served with fries (saw someone snich one and comment that they were good.)

They have some salads, a chickpea (flour?) based snack "Faina", empanades (caprese was the best), ravioli...a lot of Italian influence. Also, a lot of eggs - most sandwiches and entrees can be upgraded to be served with a fried egg on top. Flan, crepes, chocolate torte or cheese/sweet potato (?) thing for dessert. Lunch menu tops out at $19.99, but mostly very affordable.

I think I overheard them say the bakery idea failed as it was too labor intensive - all hand formed. So maybe they are only baking for the cafe now?

So speaking of the Phinney 'hood...two weeks ago in the P-I, Rebecca Dehn (sp?)reported that a new place called Oliver's Twist would open at 6820 Greenwood by mid-summer. That address is an antique store that doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon, much less be transformed into a restaurant by mid summer. Anyone know the scoop? Wrong address?

So speaking of the Phinney 'hood...two weeks ago in the P-I, Rebecca Dehn (sp?)reported that a new place called Oliver's Twist would open at 6820 Greenwood by mid-summer. That address is an antique store that doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon, much less be transformed into a restaurant by mid summer. Anyone know the scoop? Wrong address?

Dan Braun's place. Looking forward to it. The space at 6820 is vacated as of this morning (last night?) I was hoping that he was getting the space to the south as well - the old garage would better suited. I didn't read the sign in the window to see what the store is up to. Mid-summer seems pretty aggressive to me...if he is building a kitchen!

Edited by tsquare (log)

Another walk thru downtown and...

the space at 2nd and Stewart is leased. The leasing sign indicated it was for a restaurant. It's the base of the newly renovated apartment building for low income / formerly homeless individuals.

The Chinese restaurant on 4th just north of Blanchard has turned into a Thai place. I heard the former was good but never made it in.

On 4th, north of Wall, a sign is up for a new bistro coming soon. Same building (Sydney Apartments) as Uptown and Fonte Roasters.

As an aside, sampled the new summer offerings at Racha Thai on Queen Anne. That's some very tasty food, though there wasn't any heat in what I ate. It's light and bright - easy introduction for the timid relatives or a change of pace from cheap thai. Good to consider when you have an event at Seattle Center to attend.

Edited by tsquare (log)

The Chinese restaurant on 4th just north of Blanchard has turned into a Thai place. I heard the former was good but never made it in.

The Chinese Wok at 4th & Blanchard is gone??? Say it isn't so! I loved that place. I have been lunching there since they were on 5th in a hole-in-the-wall. Does anyone know if/where they might have relocated?

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

"Smokin' Dicks" BBQ is now open in the University District. Even though there is some good food in that area I tend to stay away since most of the restaurants are plain bad.

This place is no exception. I will go almost anywhere for good Q, and after the owner told me he was going for a KC style place I thought it might have some promise. Their menu is pretty small, baby backs, chicken, pulled pork, sausage (uli's) and some sides. I found it strange that they did not have brisket as they are "KC" style, but since their sauce was more or less a sweet seemingly store bought variety I guess I should not have been surprised. The only thing I can almost recommend here are t-shirts if you are just itching for some innuendo of the restaurants name written on your chest.

I don't think Pig Iron has anything to be nervous about, but it would be nice to get some good KC or better yet, Carolina style restaurants in town.

Well now we know what is going into the space vacated by Fork. Sue McCown, the” diva of desserts” has just announced that she will be leaving the W hotel and will open a dessert lounge in the old Fork space. The article appeared in the PI this morning. Check it out. Very Interesting.

Edited by FWED (log)

Fred Rowe

Well now we know what is going into the space vacated by Fork.  Sue McCown, the” diva of desserts” has just announced that she will be leaving the W hotel and will open a dessert lounge in the old Fork space.  The article appeared in the PI this morning.  Check it out.  Very Interesting.

Finally - been biting my tongue for a few months.

Well now we know what is going into the space vacated by Fork.  Sue McCown, the” diva of desserts” has just announced that she will be leaving the W hotel and will open a dessert lounge in the old Fork space.  The article appeared in the PI this morning.  Check it out.  Very Interesting.

Excellent! I really want more dessert cafes/lounges in Seattle. She is certainly the chef to do it in this city. I think that space, across from the Harvard Exit theater is probably a good location. Not as close to my home in Belltown as I would like, though :wink:

I recently went to Room 4 Dessert in New York City and I was very impressed by the concept and execution.

A few months??? Wasn't Fork only open a few months?

A few months???  Wasn't Fork only open a few months?

Sue opening a place, not taking over Fork. Sorry for the lack of clarity. Enjoyed my one dinner at Fork. Sorry about it closing, and Scott's health problems.

When the doctor told me the game was up I put fork on the ,arket and had scads of offers. Then Sue came knocking. In my mind she is not only a tremendous talent but a really neat lady as well. I wanted her to have something good in this space and to keep it fork would be silly because it would take away from her great name. Her place is gonna rock. Thank you to all the folks for support and laughs. It has been a good long run in this business since I was 11 at mom and pops joint. Now i hang up my guns. If anybody needs a consultant let me know. As I said in the paper that if I get better I want to have a cheesesteak place like back home in Philly. Adios amigos

When the doctor told me the game was up I put fork on the ,arket and had scads of offers. Then Sue came knocking. In my mind she is not only a tremendous talent but a really neat lady as well. I wanted her to have something good in this space and to keep it fork would be silly because it would take away from her great name. Her place is gonna rock. Thank you to all the folks for support and laughs. It has been a good long run in this business since I was 11 at mom and pops joint. Now i hang up my guns. If anybody needs a consultant let me know. As I said in the paper that if I get better I want to have a cheesesteak place like back home in Philly. Adios amigos

Scott, we know you'll be back with guns at the ready! Loved your food both at BOB and Fork! In fact, we're going to Fork tonight for the last night of your very innovative menu. We wish you all the best and a very speedy recovery. :wub:

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

Ital Tea at 1st and union (old tiny Tully spot) is quite lovely. All Chinese teas, they will brew anything for you to taste, hoping you will buy. 1/4 pound or less is okay. Smells great, very friendly.

Went to BOKA tonight.

To be fair, They've only been open 2 days, so what I have to say here should be taken with a grain of fleur de sel.

They have a small section of the menu called "Urban Bites" small items which range from $4 to $8. Two pieces in each order. We had the Duck confit waffles, crab cakes, lobster croquettes, and thai spice chicken lollipops. The Lobster was pure deep fried goodness. The duck confit seemed much to mild flavored. The chicken lollipops were ground chicken meatballs on pre-spiced sticks. I like the idea of the spice on the stick, but it was hard to get the spice off when you bite off the meatball. Crab-cakes were also kind of bland.

I ordered the pork chop with red cabbage and apples. The cabbage apple side was very tasty, but my pork was way too dry. Also at the table was a thai boulabase (salty). Salmon (dry and underseasoned.) And Shake and Bake Chicken. The chicken was the best dish at the table. It's coated in dijon mustard then shaken in a spice-crumb mixture before it's baked. Still juicy and nicely seasoned.

We had around an hour and fifteen minutes to get through dinner and catch a show. They were very accommodating and overall the server was very professional. Two minor problems which we pointed out to the server. The entres arrived at staggered intervals, as opposed to all at once; and they cleared some plates while others had not finished eating yet. (This might have had everything to do with our time constraints, but it still bugs me)

One last thing, the person with the salmon didn't eat much of it, so the manager came to talk to him. We were offered a comped dessert, but when we stated that we didn't have time for dessert, they comped the dish. Very professional.

Like I said, it's only the second day, they have to iron out some bugs. But I'll give them another shot in a few months.

That sucks--it was one of my favorites in town, though it's not like I've done my part, since I think I only went there three or four times total. I'm going to see if I can track down their enchilada recipe. Best enchiladas ever.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May