• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 2)

I saw a sign on 45th in Wallingford, across from Guadalajara, for a place called "Chocolati."

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I saw a sign on 45th in Wallingford, across from Guadalajara, for a place called "Chocolati."

It's a small local chain. I think their first store was on the north side of Greenlake, then Greenwood and Belltown and even an outlet store on Aurora. It's a stop for a cup of chocolate or a treat (but skip the coffee). www.chocolati.com

cburnsi

Gotham Tavern & Family Supper Are Closed! - Portland

Say it isn't so!

Straight from The Oregonian

And sister restaurant clarklewis has stopped serving lunch. That was my favorite lunch spot in Portland.

That's too bad, F&W had a great article on the couple who own and run this group of restaurants.

New place opening up in a beautiful hardwood floor space on 12th between Pike and Madison, next to the Retrofit furniture store that is that wonderful seafoam green. The woman inside told me the name, but I forgot! Anyone else remember?

The old Falling Water / Alexandrias place on 2nd near Lenora is undergoing a remodel/gut. The paperwork says Wann Isakaya (sp?) Restaurant.

Does Belltown need another Japanese Restaurant? Is this something else...

Saw the sign for Vessel - wow, adjoining the 5th Ave Theater, nice location for a crazy schedule.

Edited by tsquare (log)

If Wann is really an Izakaya then, yes Belltown can use another Japanese restaurant.  In fact I think that the Izakaya concept is just about perfect for Belltown.

Rocky

For those of us ignorant of many things - Izakaya is a "salaryman" restaurant - appetizers and drinks. A place to relax after work. Hmm, interesting.

New place opening up in a beautiful hardwood floor space on 12th between Pike and Madison, next to the Retrofit furniture store that is that wonderful seafoam green.  The woman inside told me the name, but I forgot!  Anyone else remember?

if it was teri that you ran into, then it shoud have been the new cafe stellina, who used to be on 21st or 23rd of union. their food was great there and it will be nice to see what they do with a real kitchen.

I never even noticed, but Turntable Restaurant at the EMP must have closed.

There's a new restaurant in there now called Revolution. The menu looks pretty boring, but it can't be any worse than Turntable. It's operated by the same people that own Daniel's Broiler and Chandler's Crabhouse.

I never even noticed, but Turntable Restaurant at the EMP must have closed. 

There's a new restaurant in there now called Revolution.  The menu looks pretty boring, but it can't be any worse than Turntable.  It's operated by the same people that own Daniel's Broiler and Chandler's Crabhouse.

Last week, the space was pretty much a shell - they moved quick.

Oh, Brasa's bar menu has been revised and expanded. Same half price offer 5-7, with purchase of a drink. Wow! The website has NOT been updated to match.

My favorite under the radar, great cheap food restaurant is closing. Inn Bin in Ballard will be no more after May 31. They had arguably the best pot stickers, imperial shrimp, sizzling rice soup, garlic chicken, and assorted chow mein in Seattle. So much better than the awful exterior (and not much better interior) would suggest.

I'll miss you. :sad:

Full Disclosure:  the guys behind Hot Dish are friends of mine and I've helped in the most minor of ways with their opening.  I have no stake in the restaurant other than wanting to see dear friends succeed.

It's going to be "American Comfort", serving breakfast as well as L/D, and the full bar remains.   Dan's got a way with comfort food, and aside from his churlish insistence that peas don't belong in tuna-noodle casserole, he's very on-plan.  Expect a couple of interesting finds on the breakfast menu, sandwiches and a handful of entrees at lunch, and intensive comfort at dinner.

They expect to open in the next few weeks.

Eric

Ravenna, kids:

website

We went to try Hot Dish this past Friday night. The interior is quite cute and they have a little bar area set up with about 8 stools (I didn't count) where we had a pre-dinner drink. I think there were 2 or 3 tables with people dining when we came in.

The bartender was friendly. Greg had a T & T ($6.00) and I had a Stoli Martini ($6.00 for the martini and $1.50 upcharge for the Stoli). The bartender keeps the vodka on ice and so my martini was very cold - which is the way I like it.

After our drink we decided to sit down at a table and have dinner. The bartender said he would just transfer the tab and suggested if we wanted another drink he could make them and our server would bring them over which sounded good to us.

Greg ordered the Pot Roast dinner with mashed potatoes and vegetable ($14.50) and I ordered the house side salad - mixed greens, tomatoes, crutons and chick peas in a balsamic vinaigrette ($3.50) along with the Mac & Cheese ($8.50).

The salad was ok but it was swimming in dressing. I liked the dressing but when I was done with my salad there was a pool at the bottom of the plate. The Mac & Cheese came in a gratin dish with a side of fruit (melon and oranges) and the vegetable. Vegetable was grilled zucchini that night which was the best thing about the meal. The pot roast was just ok - nothing to make it stand out - nothing wrong with it but nothing to really compel us to go back order it again. The Mac & Cheese wasn't very flavorful as well. It didn't really "taste" the vintage cheddar or the beer when I ate it. It was more like hot, moist pasta with a small scattering of crumbs on top.

The prices were reasonable - our whole bill was just $55.00 - and the staff friendly and the atmosphere relaxed and comfortable. Long story short, we were really hoping for a great little neighborhood spot that served great comfort food and I think we got great little neighborhood spot that serves average comfort food.

Inn Bin in Ballard will be no more after May 31. 

Any word on what's going into the InnBinn space? It will be odd to see something else on that corner - it's been there forever...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Please note that their websitewill still live on and accept orders. (Full disclosure: they are a customer of mine).

Seis is apparently busy working on his new restaurant project (discussed elsewhere on this thread, if I recall), but Pia is working on switching the business model toward a web-only business.

Les Cadeaux Gourmet has closed-- not sure what's going to go in there next.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Went the to the Umi Sake House pre-Opening event last night. I like what they've done with the place. Lots of bamboo and wood. Two huge skylights in the middle of the space now shine over a garden. Providing the illusion of an exterior garden in the middle of the vast space. USH is in the old location of Bada Lounge and Chef Wang. They were just serving a selection of sake and beer last night. I had a dry junmai-shu, don't remeber the maker. They have over 30 different Sakes on the sample menu I received. The chef is Billy Beach of Rain and Wasabi Bistro. I didn't try any food as I was off to dinner at Union right after (Great meal BTW!)

They were serving a selection of rolls and hot apps. Everyone seemed to really be enjoying themselves.

They open to the public tonight. I'll try the food soon before the club kids take over the space. :hmmm:

Edited by hhlodesign (log)

I didn't try any food as I was off to dinner at Union right after (Great meal BTW!)

Hey - rockdoggydog, Malarkey and I were at Union last night. We could have shared a cocktail! We stopped in for drinks in the bar after dinner at Veil so we were probably there after you'd left.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I didn't try any food as I was off to dinner at Union right after (Great meal BTW!)

Hey - rockdoggydog, Malarkey and I were at Union last night. We could have shared a cocktail! We stopped in for drinks in the bar after dinner at Veil so we were probably there after you'd left.

Funny how our paths crossed. We were a table of 6 in the middle of the space, with the owner of Veil as a matter of fact. BTW, I love the round tables at Union. So rarely seen in non-Chinese places. Great for conversation for 6 people. We were there from 8 to 11. Next time we'll have to coordinate.

Please note that their websitewill still live on and accept orders. (Full disclosure: they are a customer of mine).

Seis is apparently busy working on his new restaurant project (discussed elsewhere on this thread, if I recall), but Pia is working on switching the business model toward a web-only business.

Les Cadeaux Gourmet has closed-- not sure what's going to go in there next.

I went to a preview party for BOKA - the food was great fun, especially the crab cupcakes with creme fraiche frosting. And who wouldn't like duck and waffles? Lots of small bites, including some desserts. The decor has a lot of nice touches - I'll be interested to see how it all comes together.