• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 2)

We have been customers of the original Gordito's since they first opened.

We usually order that Grande Burrito, share maybe half of it & then take the rest home to share later. (I reccommend it "Wet & fajita style")

If the new location is like the old one, the art on the walls will rotate so maybe next month it will be somethng warmer. The efficiency at the cash register and on the line at the main location is a sight to behold, so I'd guess they're still training new staff.

Oh and if you luck out & go in on a day when they have strawberry Agua Fresca it's awesome.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I was driving on Westlake the other day and about halfway between Denny & the lake I noticed a new restaurant going in: Slo Joe's BBQ.

Maybe just maybe, they'll actually have good BBQ? Hope springs eternal in the human heart :biggrin:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

We went to Bricco on QA tuesday night and thought it was quite nice. The space, although big, doesn't seat that many people so it filled up quickly. It's also REALLY warm in there. When I inquired I was told that the ac is really loud so they don't turn it on. The windows in front don't open (like at Paragon or Sapphire) so the summer will be interesting for sure.

They have a nice mix of wines by the glass ranging from $7 to $12 and some good food. We shared a couple of cheeses (they get a lot of them from Dennis at the Wine Cellar now). Then shared their house salad with is HUGE and has blue cheese, pecans and a nice viaigrette.

Lastly we shared the duck in asian flavors and grilled asparagus. The asparagus was sooooo good! they season the hell out of it with s&p, finger licking good.

All those with 6 glasses of wine for just under $100

we'll be back (on cold nights, in a tank top!)

Isn't it the people who brought us Cowgirls" or some such, in Pioneer Square?

Man, I hope so.... Just kidding. That's actually what hhlodesign said about Venom...

Looks like they're gonna run the new place called Venom in the old Medusa space (bought by the Cowgirls Inc. people, not sure what the connection is.) Just what we need, another B&T hangout in the neighborhood.

Isn't it the people who brought us Cowgirls" or some such, in Pioneer Square?

Man, I hope so.... Just kidding. That's actually what hhlodesign said about Venom...

Looks like they're gonna run the new place called Venom in the old Medusa space (bought by the Cowgirls Inc. people, not sure what the connection is.) Just what we need, another B&T hangout in the neighborhood.

I'm so confused. I am getting old...

I was driving on Westlake the other day and about halfway between Denny & the lake I noticed a new restaurant going in: Slo Joe's BBQ. 

Maybe just maybe, they'll actually have good BBQ?  Hope springs eternal in the human heart  :biggrin:

It is okay, I wish they would just give you the sauce on the side, but the sides were decent and free refills on drinks.

They have a fidelity card, 10 punches and you get one free meal.

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

Got a peak at Ume Sake Lounge in Belltown and met the owner Cody last night. It's in the old space that used to house The Bada Lounge. Looks like they are going for more of a restaurant / lounge as opposed to a bar. I hope the focus on the food will draw a more sophisticated crowd than that of the Bada Lounge. The design looks like it might be interesting. They are looking at the end of May to open. I think they'll be cutting it close by the looks of the progress.

Ahhh, I had such high hopes when the Bada Lounge first opened. At the beginning, they really did have a nice crowd in there, and it was more of a restaurant than a bar. The design of the space was really different than a lot of places in Seattle at the time (loved that big rounded rectangle projection screen). But man did it go downhill over the years.... If you're going to have an all-white restaurant, you really do have to make the commitment to keep it that way, and not let scuff marks and and tears in the upholstery take over!

Thanks for the update on Ume Sake Lounge, hhlodesign. I can't wait to check it out.

Edited by dandelion (log)

Me again.

Zaina (downtown) is closed. According to the sign posted, they lost their lease as of this morning, but they're going to be looking for a new space in the area. The Pioneer Square location remains open.

Today I saw a new (I haven't seen it before anyway) teriyaki/Korean place in the U. District. It looks pretty much like the average teriyaki/yakisoba with random Korean dishes thrown in there, although they had something that caught my eye - cheese ramen. I'm intruiged...

Stoneway Cafe is being replaced by Rowdy Girl BBQ. Soon.

Good to know. I've been too lazy to walk down the hill for breakfast but I'd crawl through broken glass for good BBQ.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Wow! Tighe, check this out:

BOKA

You talkin' to ME? :cool:

Yeah, I read about this place somewhere else a while back. Sounds great, hopefully they won't get dragged down to the lowest common denominator by being a hotel restaurant.

Website

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

BOKA

Yeah, I read about this place somewhere else a while back. Sounds great, hopefully they won't get dragged down to the lowest common denominator by being a hotel restaurant.

Website

sadly the shop on QA is closed, It was all cleaned out when I was up there 2 weeks ago :sad:

BOKA

Website

I'd guess, think E&O, Fish Club, Fullers (r.i.p), Hunt Club, Georgian, etc, rather than Cayenne.

BOKA

Website

I'd guess, think E&O, Fish Club, Fullers (r.i.p), Hunt Club, Georgian, etc, rather than Cayenne.

I guess I was thinking of 727 Pine as the cautionary tale and frankly, to me the places you cite, except maybe E&O, all have certain generic hotel-ish-ness to them.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

Red Fin Sushi is in a Hotel and it is hardly for the LCD.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Look, I'm not saying its a foregone conclusion that restaurants in hotels are going to end up being pedestrian. Hell, I think one of the very best restaurants that Seattle has ever seen was Painted Table. Given the demands of catering to a hotel crowd, it's difficult to not regress to the mean, so to speak, just to keep everyone happy. BOKA sounds like it has some plans in place to prevent that, I hope they're successful.

Red Fin Sushi is in a Hotel and it is hardly for the LCD.

Maybe too soon to bet on that one anyway?

Oh yeah, there is Lola too. Opinions may differ...

Interesting discussion though - I am sure it has been started elsewhere?

Interesting discussion though - I am sure it has been started elsewhere?

Yes, here. It's been a while though.